Thread: Nickels

Nickels

U.S. Nickels are worth more than their face value (about 7¢ each), so I ask for a few rolls every time I go to the bank.

Uncirculated nickels are apparently worth much more (like this $100 face value box of 2009 D's that recently sold for $237 on eBay), so what's the best way to obtain them?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788.
    WWW.APPLESEEDINFO.ORG

Appleseed Project - "Common folks teaching common folks to shoot uncommonly well"

Quote Originally Posted by Mahkato View Post
    U.S. Nickels are worth more than their face value (about 7¢ each), so I ask for a few rolls every time I go to the bank.

Uncirculated nickels are apparently worth much more (like this $100 face value box of 2009 D's that recently sold for $237 on eBay), so what's the best way to obtain them?
    I'm not sure about the getting specialty 2009 D's but I was able to simply order a $100 box of nickels from my local bank. Some banks probably have them on hand already. Nobody was phased by it and when I explained to them why I was doing it, they all seemed to like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by xd9fan View Post
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by japes View Post
    I'm not sure about the getting specialty 2009 D's but I was able to simply order a $100 box of nickels from my local bank. Some banks probably have them on hand already. Nobody was phased by it and when I explained to them why I was doing it, they all seemed to like the idea.
    Uncirculated? Or doesn't it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahkato View Post
    thx

Uncirculated? Or doesn't it really matter?
    I guess it depends on why you're hording them . I haven't even opened my box yet but I doesn't matter to me if they are circulated or not.

Any potential value of nickles will depend on their metal content. There are literally hundreds of millions of them in circulation (as of August the mint had released 250,000,000 of the 2010 nickels alone) so scarcity will not be a factor and thus condition will not be significant in selling blocks. If you have 1000 nickles and they are worth seven cents, you have $70 worth. Since it is illegal to melt down US coins or sell them for scrap, getting that seven cents out of a nickel will not be easy (though there are suckers out there like the person paying $237 for $100 worth).

2009 nickels are rare and collectible, they were released in Puerto Rico and they are lowest mintage by far that I can recall, since 1959 I think. I saw a FED 100 roll bag go for 2,700.00. Go to the bank, supermarket etc and collect slowly, keep all your change nickels and ask for 5 nickels instead of a quarter here and there at convenience stores. No need to melt em. Its our only non fiat and it has almost the same intrinsic value as those new dollar coins. Drill a hole in em and you have a cupronickel washer that cost 10x as much or more at the hardware store.
    Last edited by Johnnybags; 02-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.

If you find any ww2 silver nickels they are worth about $1.65 for their silver content alone.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2009 is RELATIVELY rare- compared to 2010- but there are over 80 million of those too- roughly 40 million each from Denver and Philidelphia mints. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_..._States_coin)- compared to 2006 with 1.5 billion coins. If you want to talk rare, try the 1913 Liberty Head- there were only five of those. http://www.luxist.com/2009/12/23/rar...tch-3-million/ Something in the millions is not rare though some will try to hype them as scarce to make a profit off them.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-11-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Rare in modern history but there exported from what I understand to Puerto Rico so any back on the shore here are hard to find.
    Just trying to tell the forum those nickels are not the ones to target for hoarding as the price has collector premium attached.

Have read that the first ones showed up in Puerto Rico but not reports that the majority of them showed up there. Eighty million is not rare.

Cant these multiple threads be merged or people take a minute to see if something has been posted?

Posted this in the other thread:
    I am going to start saving nickels after reading this. I already save pennies made before 1982.

My concern is the utility of it. What can you buy for 5¢ or 7.4¢? A swedish fish? We do need an easy to use way to break down silver coinage. The silver dime is worth $2.18 atm, and spending one will require change sometimes. There are about 30 nickels to a silver dime, so it might function that way well, but would you want to get 23 nickels in change. We might start cutting silver coins apart again. That way, you would only need to give a max of 7 nickels in change (plus whatever fraction of the dime).

Any comments on the utility of nickels in barter?
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    When Freedom is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.