Thread: Prayers for the Egyptians

Prayers for the Egyptians

The great land of Egypt is amongst the holiest places in all the earth. It's history of achievements spanning since before records have been kept. Pyramids, monuments, civilizations, an ancient and mysterious land whose people have searched the deepest secrets of truth and revered the spiritual and divine.

The Holy Scriptures have recorded some of the greatest events to happen in this land and 800 years before the birth of Christ, Hosea prophesied 'out of Egypt I call my Son' (Hosea 11:1).

Two thousand years ago this land was the blessed place where the Lord grew as a child and into an adult, and ten years after His death, resurrection and ascension, the Apostle Mark traveled to Alexanderia to spread the Gospel and founded the Church of Alexandria. In AD 68 the pagan worshipers placed a rope around his neck and dragged him through the streets until he was dead.

Since that time, this land has been the home of some of the greatest of saints. For centuries the See of Alexandria was in importance second only to Rome. The entire country had been baptized in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Even it's most remote deserts were inhabited by holy men and women called to live lives in constant prayer, hermits, ascetics, monks, spiritual giants of the faith such as Saint Anthony and Saint Pachomius. Living prophets of God, living temples of the Holy Spirit.

For 2000 years the Church has survived, at times against what appeared to be insurmountable odds, what alone can be considered a miracle.

I ask for your prayers for the people in Egypt during these trying and tumultuous times. For all the people who are bearing the uncertainties ahead, both Muslims and Christians, who awake every day in fear and who at night find it difficult to rest. May the Lord grant them strength and hope.

I confess I fear most of all for the fate of the Copts in Egypt as history and experience has demonstrated to me that when a puppet regime falls, the religious minorities often suffer the most in the aftermath, just as what is occurring in Iraq right now. I pray that the spirit of brotherly love and cooperative struggle for freedom and justice will only continue to strengthen in the weeks and months ahead and that whatever government arises from this revolution is one which affords love and mutual respect for all people of all faiths. Lord, grant us Thy mercy and loving kindness now and forever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
    Last edited by TER; 02-08-2011 at 02:10 AM.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for your kind words.

Just wondering if you'd like to comment on the fact that Habib Al Adly, ex-Minister of Interior, is now officially accused of the Jan 1st Alexandria church bombings.