Thread: Got a stubborn Rootkit virus. This is the ONLY tool that got rid of it

Got a stubborn Rootkit virus. This is the ONLY tool that got rid of it

I had Microsoft Security Essentials installed and was using Firefox to visit some shady sites and without me downloading or running anything I got a nasty virus. Symptoms: svchost.exe crashes, firefox is slower and has popups, toolbar installed in IE, computer is slower. I uninstalled Sec. Essentials and installed the trial of Kaspersky Antivirus b/c of its reputation for having the best detection rates. It immediately found a rootkit virus win32.tdss and said it would get rid of it on reboot but I didn't. Found out Kaspersky also has a separate free utility solely for this virus but that didn't remove it either. Tried others like Malwarebytes and something I hadn't heard of before but found after doing some research - HitmanPro (free 30 day trial), but nothing could get rid of it. I tried another one after doing more research - a completely free util called ComboFix:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix
    This is the ONLY thing that completely wiped out this virus (works for other malware too) so I'm here to give it my personal endorsement .

Now I'm looking into making Firefox more secure - currently I'm using the "NoScript" extension since I'm feeling paranoid though I don't think that's a long term solution I want. I've heard of running Firefox in a protective layer called Sandboxie - I'll consider that but not sure it's something I want to do.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I run rkhunter from time to time just to check.
    http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom