Thread: The Deadly Beating that Sparked Egypt Revolution

Exclamation The Deadly Beating that Sparked Egypt Revolution

Offered without comment...

The Deadly Beating that Sparked Egypt Revolution

Feb. 2, 2011

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...n7311469.shtml

Khaled Said's Death Outraged Egyptians, Turning Messages from Internet Chat Rooms into Protests in the Streets of Cairo

(CBS) ALEXANDRIA, Egypt - Khaled Said's body was barely recognizable. The 28-year-old was beaten to death last June by two policemen on a public street.

Retaliation, his friends believe, for a video Khaled posted on the internet. It shows policemen allegedly sharing the spoils of a drug bust, reports CBS News chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan.

"All of us are Khaled Said, because all of us might face the same destiny at any point in time," said one man, who would only speak to CBS News if his identity was hidden. He is one of the key organizers of the protests that have rocked Egypt.

The man said Khaled's death was definitely a catalyst for the people's revolution.

The disturbing image of Khaled's broken face was posted on Facebook. The image quickly sparked a cyber campaign that spread outrage amongst Egypt's youth.

They took that message from internet chat rooms to the streets of Cairo, just days after his death, and then to Khaled's home town of Alexandria.

His story spread and Khaled Said, a middle-class businessman, became an explosive symbol of police brutality under Hosni Mubarak's rule captured on internet videos.

The abuse seen in internet videos is just a glimpse of what Egyptians say they've lived with for decades.

"Khaled was lucky, let's be honest," said a man. "Because many people were killed or tortured but no one knows about them."

And nobody knows their names.

"Their names, the details, what happened after their death, no one knows," the man said.

Khaled Said's story -- and the revolution it inspired -- is now a permanent part of Egyptian history.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But the talking heads say it is about food and unemployment. or radical Islam.

They ignore this,

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I've posted these on fb, few responses from the sleeping masses.

This is about Brutality and Repression.
    30 Years of Police State abuse under Mubarak.

Not about economy, food shortages or religious beliefs.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I do think food prices play a huge role, they may not be the ONLY reason but they are a contributing factor

Quote Originally Posted by college4life View Post
    I do think food prices play a huge role, they may not be the ONLY reason but they are a contributing factor
    I know that it is Sub-Titled, but did you hear her words. Listen to what she says.

ibaghdadi has the third one up on YouTube, I am waiting for him to post it here.
    But I just watched it.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Thanks for the information Anti Federalist.

I hadn't heard of this before. I just assumed that the people had, had enough. I can see now how he could have been a catalyst.

People actually get upset about police brutality? Man, and here I was thinking that most people just shrugged and ignore it or try to make some excuse..like here in the U.S.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    People actually get upset about police brutality? Man, and here I was thinking that most people just shrugged and ignore it or try to make some excuse..like here in the U.S.
    Many are paying attention.

Did you see this thread?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ring-drug-raid

P.S. How many times have you seen, in a country with the right to keep and bear arms in its constitution, as many shootings reported and the only reason was, "He had a gun."
    Last edited by Carson; 02-03-2011 at 12:43 AM.

The truth is that the revolution has started. What ever maybe the reason for it.