Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCWorld: Get Internet Access When Your Government Shuts It Down

PCWorld: Get Internet Access When Your Government Shuts It Down

I imagine there is much to learn from the North Africa events

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21815...s_it_down.html

These days, no popular movement goes without an Internet presence of some kind, whether it's organizing on Facebook or spreading the word through Twitter. And as we've seen in Egypt, that means that your Internet connection can be the first to go. Whether you're trying to check in with your family, contact your friends, or simply spread the word, here are a few ways to build some basic network connectivity when you can't rely on your cellular or landline Internet connections.
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Here's a blog post by Life Hacker-"How to foil a nationwide internet shutdown"... comment section from this post has some good tips too...
    http://lifehacker.com/5746046/how-to...ernet-shutdown
    I ask unanimous consent to revise and extend my remarks.

This is old and kludgy but still in widespread maritime service with world wide wireless capability.

NBDP and Telex.

How possible would it be to set up a independent network outside of the governments control? There was a thread that Gunny started that I can no longer find that addressed this very subject. IF anybody can find it please post. This whole Egypt government communication shut down thing is really scary and will happen here most assuredly when we have our revolution.

I read an article someone posted about companies in the city using light to send info between buildings and it sounded pretty neat. Something like this using Daihinia which is discussed in this article would be a liberty orientated solution to the internet.

The independent network would rely on everybody buying a receiver/transmitter in order to be a part of the network. It could be HAM Radio based or 802.11 but I like light based because of speed. In my business we use these IR sensors with transmitters and receivers called light curtains to tell if someone has entered a certain area and they will stop a machine so they don't get hurt. How hard would it be to setup to send blazing fast signal through pulsed light. You could buy the components to add yourself to the network and put up on an over the air TV antenna tower attached to your house. Then you would line it up with your neighbors and then your mac ID would be added to the network. It would be independent of current ISP's and harder for the government to shut down because all they could do was shut down one node but what ever it was they were trying to shut down would then just be put up on some other node. Imagine the ground hog effect. Everybody would run there own servers so there is no central hosting company that would be taken down. If I wanted to connect to someone in CA it would run its course through the shortest path available and if one section of the network was shut down it would just go around it.

Would this be to slow/cumbersome/hard? Anybody else have some ideas. I really like the idea of purchasing the equipment to add yourself to the network. You could even come up with devices that use this open network like cellphones.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I don't think it necessarily takes a revolution. I think the very idea of the government saying it can 'shut down' communication between citizens just needs to be rejected out of hand, with development of as many alternate options as possible.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 01-29-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I worked at the 3rd largest ISP in my country and I can tell you that if the government wishes to shut the internet down there are a few key points that they could physically destroy and you can't do anything about it. As soon as they destroy those key points you'd need actual physical cables going from your servers to another country to be able to reconnect to the world.
    Last edited by hazek; 01-29-2011 at 01:39 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now this is what I'm talking about.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/h...-dish-antenna/

It seems as thought it's single point to single point but I have to read it again. It would be nice if it broadcast to multiple sources at once in a 360 degree fasion and then your neighbors repeat the signal.

Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    I worked at the 3rd largest ISP in my country and I can tell you that if the government wishes to shut the internet down there are a few key points that they could physically destroy and you can't do anything about it. As soon as they destroy those key points you'd need actual physical cables going from your servers to another country to be able to reconnect to the world.
    I'm a knucklehead when it comes to this stuff, but couldn't people conceivably still access the 'net through phone lines? Or does the destruction of those "key points" also cut off phone communication? What about satellite?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I'm a knucklehead when it comes to this stuff, but couldn't people conceivably still access the 'net through phone lines? Or does the destruction of those "key points" also cut off phone communication? What about satellite?
    You gotta have two things

(A) An IP address for your machine - not that big of a deal - usually assigned by your ISP, but you can fake it if you have to.

(B) The ability to transmit / receive data packets from your PC to the server with data you want - a clear channel - be it modem and phone line, DSL, wireless, LAN, etc. This is where the break occurs because either the servers are cut off or you are cut off. The challenge is to have a data packet exchange infrastructure not subject to disruption. Currently that is the role the TELCOs play, and your data pipes (DSL, T-1, etc.) are services provided from those same TELCOs. The trick is to build networks that either (A) can connect to each other until reaching a "friendly" TELCO, or reaching a TELCO out of the jurisdiction trying to cut communications.

It is nice to have DNS and other services that make the NET run smoother, but that can be worked around - for example - I run a LAN where we maintain DNS caching servers, so the loss of DNS is not immediately noticable until either the cache expires (can change settings to prevent that) or somebody on the LAN wants to go somewhere new that the DNS lookup has not been cached.
    Last edited by Pericles; 01-29-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I don't think it necessarily takes a revolution. I think the very idea of the government saying it can 'shut down' communication between citizens just needs to be rejected out of hand, with development of as many alternate options as possible.
    The problem with that is that you're entrusting your liberty to other people. The government, and people in other positions of power, have proven over and over again that they have no respect for the law or rules of civil society. 99% of the country might sat the concept is abhorrent, but when the 1% that run things clamp down, at best we can only hope that the courts will sort it out, a few years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post

(A) An IP address for your machine - not that big of a deal - usually assigned by your ISP, but you can fake it if you have to.

(B) The ability to transmit / receive data packets from your PC to the server with data you want - a clear channel - be it modem and phone line, DSL, wireless, LAN, etc. This is where the break occurs because either the servers are cut off or you are cut off. The challenge is to have a data packet exchange infrastructure not subject to disruption. Currently that is the role the TELCOs play, and your data pipes (DSL, T-1, etc.) are services provided from those same TELCOs. The trick is to build networks that either (A) can connect to each other until reaching a "friendly" TELCO, or reaching a TELCO out of the jurisdiction trying to cut communications.

It is nice to have DNS and other services that make the NET run smoother, but that can be worked around - for example - I run a LAN where we maintain DNS caching servers, so the loss of DNS is not immediately noticeable until either the cache expires (can change settings to prevent that) or somebody on the LAN wants to go somewhere new that the DNS lookup has not been cached.
    This is true. The internet backbone infrastructure (T-lines) are owned by telephone companies; however, if everything was point to point (2.4 GHz wireless towers) then it would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post

It is nice to have DNS and other services that make the NET run smoother, but that can be worked around - for example - I run a LAN where we maintain DNS caching servers, so the loss of DNS is not immediately noticable until either the cache expires (can change settings to prevent that) or somebody on the LAN wants to go somewhere new that the DNS lookup has not been cached.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong........what you're telling me is that I ought to learn Morse code, yes?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong........what you're telling me is that I ought to learn Morse code, yes?
    That's all computers are. Morse code. 1's and 0's. It's called ASCII.

NOBP ≠ ABO

-.-- . ... --..-- / -... -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / -- . .- -. ... --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. .-.-.-

Smart assery aside, yes.

Government, for all intents and purposes, owns the "tubes" that pass all the information that is "the web".

A lot of it is done wirelessly, however the bulk of net traffic still travels through plain old copper wires or fiber optic lines.

Therefore it is very easy for government to "open up" a tube and look at what is passing through, or shut it right off.

What is being discussed here are alternatives to get around a government shut down such as:

a) going back to older dial up as a back up, not very effective, I think because the same lines that carry voice carry data in that case, and they can be shut down too.

b) connecting computers via radio, wireless. A good idea except that the only "content" you would be able to access would be whatever is on the other computer that you are connected to. That is, as Pericles mentioned, until you could "hopscotch" wireless links until you got to "friendly" wireless link and then passed the web content back down the line. Drawbacks? easily broken chain, and easily triangulated single.

c) non digital analog. Ham radio voice, morse, NBDP and so on.

Once upon a time, the Internet behaved as it was designed to - able to route around a nuclear war. Then somewhere between the Mega Internet providers buying up almost all the mom and pop ISP's and telco's laying a lot of fiber along a limited number of routes and the advent of Network Operation Centers, so my packet has to go to Texas on it's route to a machine a mile and normally 3 hops away, with possible side trips 100 miles in the opposite direction before figuring out it's lost... umm, yeah - this whole "we will assimilate you" jazz didn't work out really well and we ended up with something like the below, and a situation where one yahoo with a backhoe can can black out a 5 state region for a week or an absent minded ships captain can forget to pull up their anchor and take out Internet service for a country for at least a month.

Oh Joy!

-t

Thread glue:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...et-kill-switch

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...nternet-Phones
    (see links at the bottom of post 14 for tons of HowToo)

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 01-30-2011 at 02:38 AM.

Radio (HF) with a rotating cipher is the best method of cheap reliable long distance communications. Of course, nothing beats a scout either, but that is worst case scenario...If any militia ever needs a radioman, I would be your guy

I wouldn't bother with Morse Code to be honest...easily 'cracked', and if you plan on using HF with Morse Code, then you will need to have DES capabilities, and if you have that there is little point to bother with Morse...
    Last edited by Austrian Econ Disciple; 01-30-2011 at 03:01 AM.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui mκme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    -.-- . ... --..-- / -... -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / -- . .- -. ... --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. .-.-.-
    - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- / .. .----. .-.. .-.. / -.. --- / - .... .- - .-.-.-

amy Imagine the internet as if you'd look down on the US at night and saw all the roads lit and if you look down at a major city you'd see many many small roads in the suburbs area that are slowly connecting to bigger roads which eventually reach a highway.

What the government can do with the internet is block all the highways. So even though you can travel down a few small roads and communicate between you and your neighbor for example you can't reach the highway and therefor you can't reach the rest of the world. And it doesn't matter whether you want to travel by car, a bike, a bus or a scooter (landlines, optical fibers, satellite, radio transmitions). As long as the highway is blocked your ISP can't give you access to the rest of the world even though they might give you access to them.

What I'm trying to say is that the government with destroying those key points wouldn't shut down your ISP but only cut it off from the rest of the world. And if you aren't connected to the rest of the world, the internet becomes pretty useless.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And I'm not saying that this is what they did in Egypt but only that in my country for example they could do it by merely having access to a single building. (we are a very small country though)

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    How possible would it be to set up a independent network outside of the governments control? There was a thread that Gunny started that I can no longer find that addressed this very subject. IF anybody can find it please post. This whole Egypt government communication shut down thing is really scary and will happen here most assuredly when we have our revolution.

I read an article someone posted about companies in the city using light to send info between buildings and it sounded pretty neat. Something like this using Daihinia which is discussed in this article would be a liberty orientated solution to the internet.

The independent network would rely on everybody buying a receiver/transmitter in order to be a part of the network. It could be HAM Radio based or 802.11 but I like light based because of speed. In my business we use these IR sensors with transmitters and receivers called light curtains to tell if someone has entered a certain area and they will stop a machine so they don't get hurt. How hard would it be to setup to send blazing fast signal through pulsed light. You could buy the components to add yourself to the network and put up on an over the air TV antenna tower attached to your house. Then you would line it up with your neighbors and then your mac ID would be added to the network. It would be independent of current ISP's and harder for the government to shut down because all they could do was shut down one node but what ever it was they were trying to shut down would then just be put up on some other node. Imagine the ground hog effect. Everybody would run there own servers so there is no central hosting company that would be taken down. If I wanted to connect to someone in CA it would run its course through the shortest path available and if one section of the network was shut down it would just go around it.

Would this be to slow/cumbersome/hard? Anybody else have some ideas. I really like the idea of purchasing the equipment to add yourself to the network. You could even come up with devices that use this open network like cellphones.
    ham band "local" area networks. It's against the law to share it to an internet connection. it's rigidly local.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    ham band "local" area networks. It's against the law to share it to an internet connection. it's rigidly local.
    it's a little absurd, but what i wanted to do was to make ham band networks and share processor cycles and make "neighborhood supercomputers" (independently owned and operated)
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    Radio (HF) with a rotating cipher is the best method of cheap reliable long distance communications. Of course, nothing beats a scout either, but that is worst case scenario...If any militia ever needs a radioman, I would be your guy

I wouldn't bother with Morse Code to be honest...easily 'cracked', and if you plan on using HF with Morse Code, then you will need to have DES capabilities, and if you have that there is little point to bother with Morse...
    Felony!

it's interesting,but it would be easy to shut-down...especially the wireless mesh network; all you'd have to do is introduce a a moderate amount of junk traffic and it'd swamp everyone. Likewise, just jamming the airways with useless 2.4GHz waves from a central location would screw things up as well. On top of that are obvious security issues. It's a good idea, but it's only going to work if (1) you're within a short range of a neighbor who's also participating (2)your neighbor actually co-operates.

Packet and amateur radio would likely be a much better way to communicate, as the system is already in place, and has been so for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post

DES-XL is even better, as it doesn't have the range limitation that regular DES has. That said, both are crackable, but it's going to take a long while to do...and if you use alternating keys (which means you have to have a keyloader), well, it'll take them forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast