Thread: Biden Says Egypt's Mubarak No Dictator, He Shouldn't Step Down

Biden Says Egypt's Mubarak No Dictator, He Shouldn't Step Down

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backc...dn-t-step-down
    Joe Biden says Egypt's Mubarak no dictator, he shouldn't step down...... and wonders what the Egyptian protesters want.
    Vice President Joe Biden spoke to the PBS NewsHour tonight with the most direct US governent comments yet about the gathering Egypt protests against President Hosni Mubarak's 29-year reign.

Mr. Biden's comments are unlikely to be well-received by regime opponents, as they fit a narrative of steadfast US support for a government they want to bring down. About eight protesters and one policeman have died this week as Egypt has sought to bring down the heavy hand of the state against opponents. Since the US provides about $1.3 billion in military aid to Egypt a year, the repressive apparatus of the state is seen by many in Egypt as hand in glove with the US.

IN PICTURES: Egyptian protests

Tonight in Cairo, activists said that internet service was being systematically blocked, as was the use of instant messages on local cellphones, despite repeated calls from the US State Department for Egypt to allow social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to remain available to the nation's people. Egypt is bracing for a showdown tomorrow. Organizers have called for massive protests against the regime after noon prayers on Friday, seeking to build on the unprecedented wave of public demonstrations this week calling for an end to Mubarak's rule.

Whether the protests will be as large as democracy activists hope is an open question. Overnight in Egypt, the government was doing everything it could to head them off.

Ahead of a day that could prove decisive, NewsHour host Jim Lehrer asked Biden if the time has "come for President Mubarak of Egypt to go?" Biden answered: "No. I think the time has come for President Mubarak to begin to move in the direction that – to be more responsive to some... of the needs of the people out there."

Asked if he would characterize Mubarak as a dictator Biden responded: “Mubarak has been an ally of ours in a number of things. And he’s been very responsible on, relative to geopolitical interest in the region, the Middle East peace efforts; the actions Egypt has taken relative to normalizing relationship with – with Israel. … I would not refer to him as a dictator.”

He also appeared to make one of the famous Biden gaffes, in comments that could be interpreted as questioning the legitimacy of protesters' demands. Monitor Cairo correspondent Kristen Chick, other reporters in the country, and activists have generally characterized the main calls of demonstrators as focused on freedom, democracy, an end to police torture, and a more committed government effort to address the poverty that aflicts millions of Egyptians.

Biden urged non-violence from both protesters and the government and said: "We’re encouraging the protesters to – as they assemble, do it peacefully. And we’re encouraging the government to act responsibly and – and to try to engage in a discussion as to what the legitimate claims being made are, if they are, and try to work them out." He also said: "I think that what we should continue to do is to encourage reasonable... accommodation and discussion to try to resolve peacefully and amicably the concerns and claims made by those who have taken to the street. And those that are legitimate should be responded to because the economic well-being and the stability of Egypt rests upon that middle class buying into the future of Egypt."

Egypt's protesters, if they're paying attention to Biden at all, will certainly be wondering which of their demands thus far have been illegitimate.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Horse-feathers!
    "And who the hell are you?" he asked. "Me?" said Galt. "I'm the driver."

Biden you are scum, on par with Dick Cheney.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

“The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended.” -Frédéric Bastiat

+rep That picture is hilarious.
    “The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended.” -Frédéric Bastiat

Banned

Blog Entries
    This guy is a moron, trying to support a dictator who oppresses his own people and he has made Egypt "torture capitol" of the world.

Sad state of our nation. Can gop or tea party (non-neocon wing) impeach him for supprting tax payers funded aid to an oppressive dictator puppet?

Quote Originally Posted by PermanentSleep View Post

But did you use the Joe Biden waxing his camero picture with it?

Just kidding I didn't notice the thread.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    But did you use the Joe Biden waxing his camero picture with it?

Just kidding I didn't notice the thread.

The picture wins. Cheers.

Very smart of Obama to trot out the V.P. to float this trial balloon. Hopefully, the public will reject it, but I have no faith in the populace to even be too bothered about this issue.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

How many years has Mubarak been in office?
    Do they actually have elections where he could have been voted out of office?

If the answer to the second question is no, then he is a dictator.

Enlightening

You know, his comment really does clear things up for me. In essence, he said Mubarak is not a dictator because he promotes our policy in the region. If he opposed our policy in the region, then he WOULD be a dictator and regime change would be appropriate.

I guess I always knew this to be the case, but he came right out with it. In the eyes of our government, being a dictator has everything to do with promoting US policy abroad and nothing to do with how a government leader is selected or how much freedom the people have. This explains how we can depose the democratically elected Mosadegh and install the Shah against the will of the Iranian people. Mosadegh was actually the dictator and the Shah was not.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Whatever it takes to shore up his real base....LOL

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God."--Thomas Jefferson

BIDEN is pure Tyrant... too bad the Liberals and Dumbocrats can't understand jack about their cherished leaders.

Biden's statements directly conflicts Hillary Clinton's response (which was suppose to bs a canned propaganda PRESS Dog N Pony show with Columbia VP) one hour ago.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran