Thread: I received a TSA pat down yesterday

I received a TSA pat down yesterday

Nobody in the line, I put all my stuff in the plastic bin. The screener stops me as I go through the metal detector and points to my hand - I injured my thumb and have a soft, removable cast on which contains metal plates.

I say, "I can remove the cast," but the screener tells me not to. He then directs me to one of the new full-body scanners, to which I politely declined. So then I spend about 15 minutes getting patted down and having scans of the arm/hand which has the cast.

Generally, my experience wasn't horrible....I think they may have toned down the pat-down procedures a bit. He didn't really "touch my junk," which is always a plus. Still quite a hassle, though....
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I had one of these before they were announced, as a 'random' pick. They pulled out my pants and looked down them, and were much more gropey than I am used to. It was over before I knew what they were going to do, so I was just kind of amazed and offended and didn't really marshal opposition (I was traveling with family). I thought it was an aberation, not that it was going to become common policy. Sort of like for a while sometimes they had you take off your shoes and sometimes they didn't, as a revolving thing, so you couldn't plan their defenses.

It isn't something free people should have to go through to travel, and is a significant reason we went for a road trip vacation to the mountains to ski this winter, instead of flying. I didn't want my kids going through it.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I had one of these before they were announced, as a 'random' pick. They pulled out my pants and looked down them, and were much more gropey than I am used to. It was over before I knew what they were going to do, so I was just kind of amazed and offended and didn't really marshal opposition (I was traveling with family). I thought it was an aberation, not that it was going to become common policy. Sort of like for a while sometimes they had you take off your shoes and sometimes they didn't, as a revolving thing, so you couldn't plan their defenses.

It isn't something free people should have to go through to travel, and is a significant reason we went for a road trip vacation to the mountains to ski this winter, instead of flying. I didn't want my kids going through it.
    I hear you, and I've heard a ton of horror stories similar to yours, which is why I was a bit surprised that mine didn't go farther than it did. The agent felt the inside of my waistband but didn't really look down there, and never really touched any sensitive areas. I posted this because I'm wondering if the TSA has quietly backed off, if only slightly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Golding

I've opted out four times now, and all but one of those times I received the patdown. Each one was different, with New York surprisingly being the least invasive. San Francisco was by far the worst, where they put their index finger down your belt and slide it around. I guess that's to be expected in a city where the TSA agent most likely enjoys giving patdowns.

The TSA people in San Francisco called it an "enhanced patdown" and I nearly laughed in their faces.

Chester Copperpot

I have not flown on an airplane since Sept. 10th, 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Golding View Post
    I've opted out four times now, and all but one of those times I received the patdown. Each one was different, with New York surprisingly being the least invasive. San Francisco was by far the worst, where they put their index finger down your belt and slide it around. I guess that's to be expected in a city where the TSA agent most likely enjoys giving patdowns.

The TSA people in San Francisco called it an "enhanced patdown" and I nearly laughed in their faces.
    Yep, New York is where I was (JFK). Interesting to hear that your experience was similar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    I haven't flown since about a year before that. And I don't intend to ever again, unless possibly to leave and travel somewhere more free.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Golding

Yeah, and it's interesting to see that they switch up the use of the body scanner. When I went through JFK, they were randomly putting people through either the metal detector or the body scanner, with most going through the scanner. It's a really pathetic sight to see.

I told the TSA agent well into the line that I wasn't going to go through the body scanner. When it was my turn, they sent me through the metal detector saying "You said you're opting out of this one, right?" That's the way it ought to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    I was supposed to fly to Canada on Sept. 12, 2001. Needless to say, that trip was canceled
    Liberty is for all; privileges are for none.