Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Beating Civil Rights Trial (UPDATE)

Police Beating Civil Rights Trial (UPDATE)

Some of you will remember this from Birmingham Al., 2009.... well, they were found Not Guilty of violating his Civil Rights.

http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=13861369

Former officers found not guilty in civil rights trial

By Melanie Posey

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - A federal jury found two former Birmingham police officers not guilty of violating the civil rights of a man beaten after a police chase.

The jury returned the verdict Tuesday morning after resuming deliberations earlier in the day. Jurors began deliberations in the case Friday afternoon after closing arguments. After the verdict was read, David Doran and Barrett Dewitt could be seen crying and hugging family members.

The lawyers for the two officers spoke on their behalf since the men still face a civil trial.

"One of the most important things throughout this trial was trying to show beyond the video...that our client was doing his job over an individual out on the street acting like a thug," said Dewitt's attorney Emory Anthony.

"The jury needed to understand from him what he was experiencing, the fear he anticipated from the suspect. I think it was critically important to put him on the stand," said Doran's attorney Anthony Joseph.

Thomas Crow, an investigator with the administrative division of the Birmingham Police Department responded to the verdict by saying, "We are elated, of course, ecstatic about it. Until you have walked in the shoes of a police officer...I would ask that they think about that judgement they're making."

But federal prosecutors stand by their claims that the officers lost control that day and beat Warren to punish him, not subdue him.

"We believe it was certainly appropriate to charge these two defendants, to let a jury decide," said U.S. prosecutor Robert Posey. "I hope it sends the message that if law enforcement engages in this conduct they will be brought to court and have to face a jury," Posey continued.

Federal prosecutors had charged David Doran and Barrett Dewitt with violating the civil rights of Anthony Warren. Warren was beaten by officers after a lengthy chase through Birmingham and Hoover in January 2008. The chase ended in Hoover shortly after a Hoover police officer was struck and injured by Warren's car.

Video of the 22-minute chase, captured by police car cameras, shows suspect Anthony Warren hitting one police officer and nearly running over a few others during a high speed chase that ended when he was thrown out of his van as it flipped on an interstate on-ramp. What happens next is the most memorable image, showing Birmingham Police officers swarming Warren and beating him with their hands and at least one club. The aftermath of that chase ended five officers' careers with the city, launched a civil lawsuit and put Dewitt and Doran on trial for allegedly violating Warren's civil rights.

Doran and Dewitt each faced one federal charge of using unreasonable force.

Warren is also suing the city of Birmingham and several current and former officers in civil court. That lawsuit has been delayed until after this criminal trial.
    Last edited by Mach; 01-20-2011 at 03:01 AM.
    FJB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is what you will ALWAYS have so long as you give thugs a monopoly on force, no matter how minimal you want to claim it to be.

That 'department' would go out of business the second this happened and the people involved would never again work in protective services.....if we had a free market in protective services.

This is so sad. How a jury can find it ok to beat an unconscious person defies logic.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

The country's largest and most violent streetgang. Makes me sick.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/112009/125839...-brutality.gif

CNN version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIgCMyLi6-Q

additional info:
    http://brownwatch.squarespace.com/po...ideotaped.html
    http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/05/...ting_vide.html

The five officers -- David Doran, Barrett G. Dewitt, Heath Boackle, Thomas Cleveland and Kenneth Prevo -- were fired in 2009 after the incident came to light.

A federal grand jury indicted Doran and Dewitt, who in January 2011 were found not guilty of using unreasonable force and violating the civil rights of Anthony Warren. Warren is serving 20 years for the attempted murder of a Hoover police officer whom Warren struck during the 2008 chase.

Theother three officers were never criminally charged or indicted.

Keywords: January 23 2008 police brutality Anthony Warren

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Aright, now let's take a look at a more revealing video clip:

He not only struck that police officer, but it also appears as though he was making an effort to try to run him down! Police officers are human beings, too (in case you might be overlooking this little "factoid"). I can't blame the others for taking action the way they did to subdue him. I also can't imagine that they knew he was just lying there unconscious (maybe they even knocked him unconscious while pounding on him), it appears to me that they pounced on him too quickly to be able to make the assessment that he was unconscious at that time. They're clubbing and pounding on him for about 5 - 10 seconds, and stopped when they apparently noticed that he was not reacting or appeared to be unconscious.

I myself am not in law enforcement, but I would imagine that if I was one of these guys chasing him and saw his body come out the vehicle, I'd probably be thinking to myself that this person hopped out and is trying to flee on foot to continue to be a havoc-wreaking menace at large; then my immediate thought from seeing him lying there face down would likely be that I don't know if he's about to deploy a weapon he's concealing underneath himself. I know police brutality exists, but I don't see that being the situation in this case. Look at it this way; he's lucky they didn't draw their weapons and pump him full of lead. It's easy to sit there and watch a video clip over and over, and find countless flaws and problems - just like 20/20 hindsight.
    Last edited by Neil Desmond; 12-09-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Desmond View Post
    He not only struck that police officer, but it also appears as though he was making an effort to try to run him down! Police officers are human beings, too (in case you might be overlooking this little "factoid"). I can't blame the others for taking action the way they did to subdue him. I also can't imagine that they knew he was just lying there unconscious (maybe they even knocked him unconscious while pounding on him), it appears to me that they pounced on him too quickly to be able to make the assessment that he was unconscious at that time. They're clubbing and pounding on him for about 5 - 10 seconds, and stopped when they apparently noticed that he was not reacting or appeared to be unconscious.

I myself am not in law enforcement, but I would imagine that if I was one of these guys chasing him and saw his body come out the vehicle, I'd probably be thinking to myself that this person hopped out and is trying to flee on foot to continue to be a havoc-wreaking menace at large; then my immediate thought from seeing him lying there face down would likely be that I don't know if he's about to deploy a weapon he's concealing underneath himself. I know police brutality exists, but I don't see that being the situation in this case. Look at it this way; he's lucky they didn't draw their weapons and pump him full of lead. It's easy to sit there and watch a video clip over and over, and find countless flaws and problems - just like 20/20 hindsight.
    You cannot possibly be serious. The man's car flipped, he comes out of the window, he's laying there limp. Fill him full of lead? I've seen some cop apologists in my days as a member here but goddamn, you've got to be messing with me. The first officer ran full speed with his baton and cracked the guy as hard as he could. They then pummeled him with fists. I'll type a more detailed response to the ludicrousy of your post/rationale once I'm certain you are not an AZXD reincarnate/troll. I'm really at a loss for words anyways.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

A sad state of affairs when a jury accepts this type of behavior from cops.....

The three cops "not indicted" are the fault of the prosecutor, and obviously he deserves public scrutiny, hopefully from different folks than those who sat on the jury.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I second the motion that the guy deserved it. Justified.
    I'm all in the bandwagon of denouncing the police state, but not here.

I just watched this clip....The driver got 20 years because some cop stepped in front of his vehicle traveling at breakneck speed...

Sorry dude but I fail to see "justice" served here..........The "Just-Us" system $#@!ed this guy and is letting the cops off the hook...

Penalizing some guy fleeing from the cops for the stupid behavior of cops is wrong....The guy should be penalized for reckless driving and resisting arrest but certainly NOT attempted murder..

They look like a bunch of ignorant baboons fighting over a carcass. They don't even look human. These 'peace' officers need to be put away. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    You cannot possibly be serious. The man's car flipped, he comes out of the window, he's laying there limp. Fill him full of lead? I've seen some cop apologists in my days as a member here but goddamn, you've got to be messing with me. The first officer ran full speed with his baton and cracked the guy as hard as he could. They then pummeled him with fists. I'll type a more detailed response to the ludicrousy of your post/rationale once I'm certain you are not an AZXD reincarnate/troll. I'm really at a loss for words anyways.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

I can't blame the others for taking action the way they did to subdue him.
    Subdue? He wasn't moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine302 View Post
    I second the motion that the guy deserved it. Justified.
    I'm all in the bandwagon of denouncing the police state, but not here.
    -rep x2

The role of police is to apprehend, not double fist punish. There is absolutely no reason 5 grown men with a gun on hip could not have surrounded this man until medical arrived. It doesn't matter what your "crime" is, rape, murder, battery... once you are in custody police have a legal and moral obligation to PROTECT you.

Once a person is arrested or is taken into protective custody, a police officer has a legal duty to protect the safety of his/her prisoner.
    http://firelawblog.com/2011/05/dimin...-refusing-aid/

this was a clear instance of police brutality via:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_brutality
    'alley court' — the wanton vicious beating of a person in custody
    Last edited by presence; 12-09-2012 at 09:04 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Alright, you can disagree with my assessment, say that I'm foolish & wrong, and that I don't know what I'm talking about, etc. if you want; that would be fine with me. But no, I am indeed being serious here and am not going to yield to loaded arguments, ad hominem attack subterfuge, or other logical flaws & aberrance. So go right ahead and believe that I'm a this or that troll or whatever; I'm going to put zero effort into trying to persuade you of anything about myself. I am not going to go along with being made to feel compelled to prove myself; and as far as I'm concerned, I'm not obligated to do so, either. I'm also not familiar with the categorizations of "trolls" as you seem to be, nor do I care that much. The reason is because I try to put more effort into making good arguments and articulation of my positions, rather than trying to get my way with the forum audience by using cheap attempts to impress these individuals.

I believe that my argument was clear enough, but I'll go ahead and try again with a slightly different approach anyways: they're chasing someone who is not only refusing to pull over, but is also trying to flee from them and is driving like a maniac. It doesn't end there; it gets worse - it appears as though he's intentionally aiming right at that police officer and even gunning his vehicle while at it.

I myself have some philosophical issues and reservations about the way we're in essence forced to "delegate" law enforcement to a "corporation" on "our behalf," but not only are they still human beings, but they are also a layer of defense against troublemakers to society. If I see someone trying to run down that layer of defense like this perpetrator did when he tried to run over that cop, I'd probably be inclined to hop out of my own vehicle and pummel him myself, just like all those other cops did. Have you ever seen those police dash cam videos where a cop has someone pulled over, traffic's flowing by them, then someone comes along and slams right into their back? I've seen some where the other vehicles in traffic will chase after that vehicle and box it in so the perp can be brought to justice. There's even a video showing a prisoner attacking a guard, and dozens of other prisoners follow - not to attack the guard along with that first prisoner, but to protect the guard! We might be living in a figurative "prison" in a sense, but that goes to show you that even in an actual prison, the prisoners have enough sense to do the right thing. These things are the same kind of situation. Look, I prefer being a pacifist; but once someone draws blood or fires the first shot, they're fair game & all bets are off for that deal.

I imagine that if these police officers were in the wrong, a cop apologists might say something like, "well they meant well," "let's cut them some slack, because it's tough doing what they do." I'm not inclined to be a cop apologists, and in this case I don't think there's anything to apologize for on their behalf. Why don't you tell me why I shouldn't think that you are the one being some form of troll or apologist for perpetrators, here? Rather than whining about being at a loss of words, I suggest you look for the right ones to make & defend your own position. I will listen to & take seriously any well-structured argument or an attempt at it, and I have no problem with being shown that I'm mistaken about something.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Subdue? He wasn't moving.
    This isn't basketball, and he was in fact moving such as when he was tearing and plowing through traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    The role of police is to apprehend, not double fist punish. There is absolutely no reason 5 grown men with a gun on hip could not have surrounded this man until medical arrived. It doesn't matter what your "crime" is, rape, murder, battery... once you are in custody police have a legal and moral obligation to PROTECT you.
    You seem to be assuming that they had plenty of time to reflect, ponder, and assess that medical attention was necessary. Maybe a medical doctor can make an instantaneous diagnosis, but police officers generally don't have years of medical training; my understanding is that a police officer's job & training is to apprehend.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Neil Desmond; 12-09-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I just watched this clip....The driver got 20 years because some cop stepped in front of his vehicle traveling at breakneck speed...

Sorry dude but I fail to see "justice" served here..........The "Just-Us" system $#@!ed this guy and is letting the cops off the hook...

Penalizing some guy fleeing from the cops for the stupid behavior of cops is wrong....The guy should be penalized for reckless driving and resisting arrest but certainly NOT attempted murder..
    I agree; attempted manslaughter seems more appropriate. The definition probably differs, though, depending on the laws of that state.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Alright, you can disagree with my assessment, say that I'm foolish & wrong, and that I don't know what I'm talking about, etc. if you want; that would be fine with me. But no, I am indeed being serious here and am not going to yield to loaded arguments, ad hominem attack subterfuge, or other logical flaws & aberrance. So go right ahead and believe that I'm a this or that troll or whatever; I'm going to put zero effort into trying to persuade you of anything about myself. I am not going to go along with being made to feel compelled to prove myself; and as far as I'm concerned, I'm not obligated to do so, either. I'm also not familiar with the categorizations of "trolls" as you seem to be, nor do I care that much. The reason is because I try to put more effort into making good arguments and articulation of my positions, rather than trying to get my way with the forum audience by using cheap attempts to impress these individuals.

I believe that my argument was clear enough, but I'll go ahead and try again with a slightly different approach anyways: they're chasing someone who is not only refusing to pull over, but is also trying to flee from them and is driving like a maniac. It doesn't end there; it gets worse - it appears as though he's intentionally aiming right at that police officer and even gunning his vehicle while at it.

I myself have some philosophical issues and reservations about the way we're in essence forced to "delegate" law enforcement to a "corporation" on "our behalf," but not only are they still human beings, but they are also a layer of defense against troublemakers to society. If I see someone trying to run down that layer of defense like this perpetrator did when he tried to run over that cop, I'd probably be inclined to hop out of my own vehicle and pummel him myself, just like all those other cops did. Have you ever seen those police dash cam videos where a cop has someone pulled over, traffic's flowing by them, then someone comes along and slams right into their back? I've seen some where the other vehicles in traffic will chase after that vehicle and box it in so the perp can be brought to justice. There's even a video showing a prisoner attacking a guard, and dozens of other prisoners follow - not to attack the guard along with that first prisoner, but to protect the guard! We might be living in a figurative "prison" in a sense, but that goes to show you that even in an actual prison, the prisoners have enough sense to do the right thing. These things are the same kind of situation. Look, I prefer being a pacifist; but once someone draws blood or fires the first shot, they're fair game & all bets are off for that deal.

I imagine that if these police officers were in the wrong, a cop apologists might say something like, "well they meant well," "let's cut them some slack, because it's tough doing what they do." I'm not inclined to be a cop apologists, and in this case I don't think there's anything to apologize for on their behalf. Why don't you tell me why I shouldn't think that you are the one being some form of troll or apologist for perpetrators, here? Rather than whining about being at a loss of words, I suggest you look for the right ones to make & defend your own position. I will listen to & take seriously any well-structured argument or an attempt at it, and I have no problem with being shown that I'm mistaken about something.
    Regardless, or in spite of, his previous actions I see a thug scrum against an unconscious individual. What exactly is it you see?

I agree; attempted manslaughter seems more appropriate. The definition probably differs, though, depending on the laws of that state.
    I didn't see attempted manslaughter either, what I saw was a cop purposely putting himself in front of a vehicle traveling at breakneck speed....

Once again; "Penalizing some guy fleeing from the cops for the stupid behavior of cops is wrong....The guy should be penalized for reckless driving and resisting arrest but certainly NOT attempted murder.." or for that matter attempted manslaughter.

I saw no overt action on the part of the driver to do anything but evade arrest...And that in my book, isn't a 20 year beef..

[edit] Maybe you can point out exactly where the driver tried to attempt murder or manslaughter instead of trying to escape arrest...I've looked but I don't see it?
    Last edited by tod evans; 12-09-2012 at 09:58 AM.

If those were private citizens responding to a clear and present danger I'd be more inclined to cut them slack. It was pretty obvious though from the way they leaped on him seconds after he was thrown from the vehicle that the intent was not to enforce the law but to beat the crap out of the guy.

Intent is everything in cases like this, and the intent is unmistakable. The cops sought to be judge jury and executioner, and as such, unlawfully overstepped their bounds.

rabid baboons. A good punishment for these cops?..put em in a baboon cage without any weapons and see how tough these pussy cops are then.

And Neil my sweet little honey bunch...you have no argument. Period.
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 12-09-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Regardless, or in spite of, his previous actions I see a thug scrum against an unconscious individual. What exactly is it you see?
    I see cops pursuing a maniac and capturing him; to them I say good job with succeeding. And, like I basically brought up before, I see a tiny handful of individuals who are apparently not in law enforcement and who have the luxury, comfort, time, and leisure to sit behind the safety of their computer, tryng to dissect a video and criticizing the cops for how they responded as though they themselves are perfect and know everything.

I see cops pursuing a maniac and capturing him; to them I say good job with succeeding. And, like I basically brought up before, I see a tiny handful of individuals who are apparently not in law enforcement and who have the luxury, comfort, time, and leisure to sit behind the safety of their computer, tryng to dissect a video and criticizing the cops for how they responded as though they themselves are perfect and know everything.
    FUBAR, but thanks for your extremely biased bull$#@!.

I didn't see attempted manslaughter either, what I saw was a cop purposely putting himself in front of a vehicle traveling at breakneck speed....

Once again; "Penalizing some guy fleeing from the cops for the stupid behavior of cops is wrong....The guy should be penalized for reckless driving and resisting arrest but certainly NOT attempted murder.." or for that matter attempted manslaughter.

I saw no overt action on the part of the driver to do anything but evade arrest...And that in my book, isn't a 20 year beef..

[edit] Maybe you can point out exactly where the driver tried to attempt murder or manslaughter instead of trying to escape arrest...I've looked but I don't see it?
    Between 0:06 and 0:09 in the video clip I posted, titled "Police Chase Beating - New York Post", as the perp is approaching where the cop who is trying to deploy that tire puncturing device (or whatever it is) and is pulling right up against that dark car from its right, it looks like the perp dashes in front of that dark car and cuts it off in what appears like a deliberate attempt to steer into that cop while increasing speed.

Between 0:06 and 0:09 in the video clip I posted, titled "Police Chase Beating - New York Post", as the perp is approaching where the cop who is trying to deploy that tire puncturing device (or whatever it is) and is pulling right up against that dark car from its right, it looks like the perp dashes in front of that dark car and cuts it off in what appears like a deliberate attempt to steer into that cop while increasing speed.
    Funny how you see the "Perps" actions as an attack and I see them as an attempt to flee being attacked.

Either way officer friendly did try to place his body in front of a careening vehicle and it was the action of officer friendly that caused the "Perp" to be charged with attempted murder...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    If those were private citizens responding to a clear and present danger I'd be more inclined to cut them slack. It was pretty obvious though from the way they leaped on him seconds after he was thrown from the vehicle that the intent was not to enforce the law but to beat the crap out of the guy.
    Sometimes enforcing the law means having to leap on top of a person and pummel them; am I wrong? How can the law be "enforced" if "force" can't be used when needed?

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Intent is everything in cases like this, and the intent is unmistakable. The cops sought to be judge jury and executioner, and as such, unlawfully overstepped their bounds.
    Maybe you're right and I'm wrong; I'm not convinced, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    rabid baboons. A good punishment for these cops?..put em in a baboon cage without any weapons and see how tough these pussy cops are then.
    This is just a lust for violence against people who as far as I'm concerned did nothing wrong and go out there to sacrifice their life every day.

And Neil my sweet little honey bunch...you have no argument. Period.
    This isn't an argument, this is just a silly claim; do you have an argument to make?

FUBAR, but thanks for your extremely biased bull$#@!.
    Ah, another claim - nice.

wtf...hey dude, this entire thread is ACTUALLY about these baboons in clown suits jumping on and attacking someone who just got thrown out of his vehicle, and the vehicle is still rocking back and forth when clown 'A' comes running in and [performs a 15 yard penalty for a personal foul. The perp may be dead, he at the very least is not feeling very well from internal injuries, a brain injury, or any number of things. These $#@!ing cops SAW this vehicle roll, ejecting the driver. Wtf do you suppose a 'normal' person would be thinking seeing this action right in front of them?....my understanding is steroids can $#@! up your brain, so i'll give these cops a break because they are doped up and can't think straight anymore. hth.

gtfo.

So, you view a cadre of officers beating an unconscious individual as "capturing" them. Interest viewpoint.

As to the rest of your post it is about the same drivel most apologists spew. Boo-$#@!ing-hoo. If they can't control their roid rage then they need to find another line of work. It is WE the citizens that are responsible for keeping THEM, the bad cops, in line.

Funny how you see the "Perps" actions as an attack and I see them as an attempt to flee being attacked.

Either way officer friendly did try to place his body in front of a careening vehicle and it was the action of officer friendly that caused the "Perp" to be charged with attempted murder...
    The way that police officer is standing in the road he appears to be back far enough to keep clear of the dark car's path, and the perp looks like he's veering so sharp to the left that the police officer has to try to quickly dive out of the way of that. Sorry if I see things differently or don't see what you want me to see; I'm just trying to be an objective & unbiased observer.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast