Thread: Eating Well On $1 A Day

Thumbs up Eating Well On $1 A Day

I was talking with my sister and explaining to her that with couponing, I think that I could live on $1 a day for food and have plenty to eat. She looked at me skeptically thinking that I was exaggerating.

“No, really, I could live on $1 a day and not be hungry,” I said.

“All you would eat is cereal and junk food,” she countered. That is not a healthy diet for a month.

“I think I could have a fairly healthy diet on $1 a day,” I replied. “At least a lot healthier than you think.”

“Including fruits and veggies?” she asked, the skepticism in her voice coming through again.

“Including fruits and veggies,” I said.

“You couldn’t last a month,” she said sure of herself.

Thus the “Eating Well on $1 A Day” challenge was born with the following rules in place:

1. I will begin on May 1 and will have no accumulated food of any kind. I have $31 to spend ($1 for each day of the month). I can start buying food on May 1 and can not exceed the $31. I must document the cost of the food with receipts.

2. I can only use 2 computers to print coupons. Although I have access to more which would make this challenge much easier, we agreed that not everyone will have access to a lot of computers. However, we also agreed that anyone reading this has access to at least one computer and should be able get access to another one using a bit of creativity.

3. I can only use 2 inserts from the Sunday paper each week. Although I have access to many more than this (I usually pick up anywhere from 3 to 5 copies for free from the local coffee shop alone each week), we decided that not everyone would have access to dozens of inserts. We agreed that anyone could get the coupon inserts from at least 2 Sunday papers with a bit of creativity. I am allowed to use up to 2 of previous week’s coupon inserts that I already happen to have.

4. I can use as many coupons as I want that I can get in the grocery store where they are available to everyone.

5. I can only buy food from retail outlets (grocery stores, drug stores, food markets, etc). I can’t supplement what I buy at the store with free food from trees, dumpster diving, friends, food banks, donations, growing my own, etc.

6. I can only use deals that anyone else would have access to getting.

It should be an interesting challenge and I will have my work cut out for me, but I think that it will be possible. If nothing else, it will certainly be a food event that will bring some surprises and humor…
    Here's his site http://www.grocerycouponguide.com/ar...ll-on-1-a-day/ which documents his experiment starting with Day 1. I'm reading through it now.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    would you mind if I move this to freedom living?
    seems a better subforum for it

EDIT- went ahead and moved it
    Last edited by CaseyJones; 01-13-2011 at 09:46 PM.

I don't understand the limit on computers. Does this make any sense to anyone else?

Also, no way in hell you can eat for a dollar a day unless you are growing your own food.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    I don't understand the limit on computers. Does this make any sense to anyone else?

Also, no way in hell you can eat for a dollar a day unless you are growing your own food.

Oh wait...the requirement was eating "well," wasn't it?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Wow. I really suck at grocery shopping.
    Libertarians - trying to improve the world through ideas and free markets rather than legislation and prisons.

OMG, he bought all this food for under $3 using some crazy coupon scheme..

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. It's worked out for me a few times...but it depends. We used to have two competing markets within a short radius around my house and they'd offer some amazing deals if you were paying attention. Now that the more successful of the two bought out the other, not so much.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post

Most likely for those "1 coupon per person" deals that use your IP address or a cookie to identify whether or not you already have the coupon.

I recall Oprah's free KFC coupon was based on IP address.

As for going a month on $31.

One loaf of bread and one pack of ham costs about $3-4. That's ham sandwiches for lunch for a few weeks. That's what I did in college.

And Bar-S hot dogs are cheap.

Also a bag of potatoes can go a long way. (I got very creative with potatoes in college)
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    Most likely for those "1 coupon per person" deals that use your IP address or a cookie to identify whether or not you already have the coupon.

One loaf of bread and one pack of ham costs about $3-4. That's ham sandwiches for lunch for a few weeks. That's what I did in college.

Also a bag of potatoes can go a long way. (I got very creative with potatoes in college)
    Yep. I don't like hot dogs, but would often buy a whole chicken in college. I'd cut off the chicken breasts and make a stir-fry with rice & vegetables. Then I'd roast the chicken, and eat the legs/thighs with rice & salsa (kind of an arroz con pollo). With the bones from the chicken and the remaining meat, I'd make a vat of chicken soup and have that with rice or noodles.

I didn't keep track of exactly what that cost, but the chicken itself was usually less than $5, and it would last the whole week or more. I'm sure it was more than $1/day, but it wasn't expensive at all--and certainly cheaper (and healthier) than buying the university meal ticket like a lot of off-campus students did.

If we were still using honest money an entire family could eat quite well for a $1 per day... if only they hadn't inflated the dollar away. 30 silver dollars = ~ $750 paper ones.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    If we were still using honest money an entire family could eat quite well for a $1 per day... if only they hadn't inflated the dollar away. 30 silver dollars = ~ $750 paper ones.
    Most people would only be making like 2 dollars a day too.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post

Oh wait...the requirement was eating "well," wasn't it?
    Hey! Don't knock my Ramen!

Side note, peanut butter and jelly with a glass of milk gives you all 4 food groups.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by noxagol View Post
    I would ask for at least $5 per day for my skills.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by noxagol View Post
    But you would not be being robbed by inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    But you would not be being robbed by inflation.
    I only say that to keep things in perspective. Most would not retroactively deflate their wages along with the prices.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

What are the small containers top / left ?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    What are the small containers top / left ?
    Mini-packs of cream cheese.

At my grocery , you can get a pack of bar s hotdogs and a pkg of buns for 2 bucks .
    Last edited by oyarde; 01-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.

In the summer , once a year , I buy some and throw them on the grill .

Mini-packs of cream cheese.
    Lots alot of cream cheese!

Your right about the potatoes .Probably had some with every meal I cooked in my early twenties . They are not as cheap now though . Four dollars a bag , I think.

Lots alot of cream cheese!
    Yep! And he got more later...he donated a bunch of it to a local food shelter--seems like a really good guy.

Yep. I don't like hot dogs, but would often buy a whole chicken in college. I'd cut off the chicken breasts and make a stir-fry with rice & vegetables. Then I'd roast the chicken, and eat the legs/thighs with rice & salsa (kind of an arroz con pollo). With the bones from the chicken and the remaining meat, I'd make a vat of chicken soup and have that with rice or noodles.

I didn't keep track of exactly what that cost, but the chicken itself was usually less than $5, and it would last the whole week or more. I'm sure it was more than $1/day, but it wasn't expensive at all--and certainly cheaper (and healthier) than buying the university meal ticket like a lot of off-campus students did.
    Whole chickens used to be really cheap.I used to buy them like that and cut them up myself to bbq . For some reason it is much cheaper now to just buy quarters or something already cut at my grocery , I have no idea why .

Crap , now I want some bbq chicken...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Whole chickens used to be really cheap.I used to buy them like that and cut them up myself to bbq . For some reason it is much cheaper now to just buy quarters or something already cut at my grocery , I have no idea why .
    Yeah...I've noticed that too. At the insane market that I go to 1x/month, I can buy chicken legs for .49c/lb, while a whole chicken goes for .89c/lb. Maybe it's because they can charge a lot more for the chicken breasts, and that's sort of the leftovers.

Yeah...I've noticed that too. At the insane market that I go to 1x/month, I can buy chicken legs for .49c/lb, while a whole chicken goes for .89c/lb. Maybe it's because they can charge a lot more for the chicken breasts, and that's sort of the leftovers.
    It was the only thing I could think of too , but it just started here in the past three or four years . Prior to that it was always cheaper to buy whole and cut my own . 49 cent a pound legs is great , I would be grilling them and making soup out of them .

At my local grocer bar s alo has two types of smoked sausage packaged like the dogs . I threw some of them on the grill once last summer . Not bad for 8 for a dollar , not as good as Ekridge or something . Some of my sons buddies were over drinking beer in the yard , they did not complain : )

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Hey! Don't knock my Ramen!

Side note, peanut butter and jelly with a glass of milk gives you all 4 food groups.
    So does a cheeseburger.........
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.