Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1903 six HP steam engine powers modern off grid power system

Speciallyblend, here are some more links that you should check out...

Wood Gasification:

driveonwood.com

woodgas.com (lots a great books available)... make sure to check out the wood gas camp stove

http://www.gekgasifier.com/ (wood gas power plants available)

Steam Power:

Uniflowpower.com
    Last edited by buenijo; 11-21-2016 at 02:59 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

solar

I live in literally one of the sunniest places on earth and have a 2kw photovoltaic system up and running on my house. So I am bullish on solar energy. BUT it has some seroous drawbacks. The biggest is that it will only produce power during the hours of peak daylight. So how are you going to power your freezer, lights, ham radio, ac, furnace, whatever from late afternoon to mid-morning?

Batteries suck for long-term off-grid purposes. They are expensive, heavy, toxic, have a limited lifespan, and cannot be easily improvised.

I have given serious thought to the idea of storing solar energy and the options are not very good. If you have lots of land with a significant elevation gradient, and plenty of water, you can set up a system that pumps water into a reservoir on the high end of the property using solar energy during the day and then at night drain the water back down to a lower reservoir through a turbine at night. But I don't have much water.

You could also use solar to electolyse water, store the hydrogen, then burn it in an internal combustion engine to run a generator. But there are so many steps in the process it becomes very inefficient. And hydrogen is a bitch to work with.

The best option I have come up with for sunny, dry climates is storing solar energy as thermal energy during the day and then extracting it at night with a heat engine. For example, you could use solar energy to heat a very large concrete block, solar oven style, during the day and then use multiple Sterling engines to run off the heat contained in the block and turn a generator during the night. This would be simple and efficient, but fixed in place, and lots of moving parts because of the multiple sterling engines. And still impacted by cloudy days.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    And still impacted by cloudy days.
    Excellent observations. Rather than two solar plants, a wind plant would be the better companion to one solar installation.

Especially if you happen to live near the Capitol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Acala, I suppose a battery bank is acceptable for low power loads (everything except large motors and electric heating elements).

For refrigeration I recommend a combination of (1) excellent insulation, and (2) temperature moderation using water storage. A freezer can be superinsulated, and containers of water can be stored within. A good trick is to use salt water or water/glycol in the containers that will lower its freezing point. Likewise, a refrigerator can be loaded with water containers placed at the coldest point in the fridge with similar results (lower the thermostat setting for better results).

Residential solar powered adsorption chillers have been developed recently. Unfortunately they are currently available only in Europe, but it's just a matter of time before we see them in the U.S. See www.sortech.de for a description of the units. These are powered by solar heated water. I say use the system to cool a large store of water during the day that can be drawn upon during the evening hours. The store of water could be heated during the day if it were necessary to provide space heating during the evening hours. This would take a lot of water on the order of 1000 gallons to be effective (assuming a moderately sized well insulated home). But a cylindrical tank 6 feet in diameter and 5 feet tall is enough... that's not so bad.
    Last edited by buenijo; 02-12-2015 at 01:48 PM.

HazyHusky420, I agree that nuclear isn't so bad. But I think coal is getting a bad rap too. In my opinion, as long as the coal is fully combusted with any heavy metals or other contaminants in the fuel scrubbed, then coal is a great option. BTW, the U.S. has about 1/3 of all known high grade coal deposits in the world (the U.S. is to coal as Saudi Arabia is to oil).

Please note that (so far) I am convinced that the "global warming"/"climate change" argument is a load of BS.
    Last edited by buenijo; 03-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buenijo View Post

Facts and reasoning along these lines have led me to conclude during the last few years that the best means for an individual to truly achieve energy self-reliance is through a small piston steam engine fueled by biomass using extensive cogeneration. Another candidate includes using wood gasification to power internal combustion engines, but this is best used where high power needs are necessary (such as a small community).
    Fully agree. I am now considering designs for a radial steam engine - 6 to 9 cylinders. I also suspect that low pressure, high volume, low speed, low stress is the way to go for reliability and longevity. Highly stressed designs using highly engineered materials are great until they break and there are no parts available to replace them. That is when the virues of simplicity and low stress design become apparent... shortly before you freeze to death.

Finally, anyone who wishes to go off grid must learn that it will be imperative to conserve energy. We take energy for granted in the U.S. When you start thinking seriously about going off grid, only then can you appreciate how much energy we waste in this country.
    You are so on the money here. Welcome to the forums.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by noxagol View Post

If you want steam engine, this is what you should go with imo based on my light research: http://www.greensteamengine.com/
    What happened to the site? It's gone... perhaps a transient absence? Anyone else?

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Not working for me either. Interesting.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

HazyHusky420, I agree that nuclear isn't so bad. But I think coal is getting a bad rap too. In my opinion, as long as the coal is fully combusted with any heavy metals or other contaminants in the fuel scrubbed, then coal is a great option. BTW, the U.S. has about 1/3 of all known high grade coal deposits in the world (the U.S. is to coal as Saudi Arabia is to oil).

Please note that (so far) I am convinced that the "global warming"/"climate change" argument is load of BS.
    I grew up 15 minutes from one of the largest anthracite deposits in the U.S. There's a rail bed that runs right along it. Probably hasn't had tracks for the past century, but that rail bed is kept pristine.
    Libertarians - trying to improve the world through ideas and free markets rather than legislation and prisons.

Anthracite is awesome stuff.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Excellent observations. Rather than two solar plants, a wind plant would be the better companion to one solar installation.

Especially if you happen to live near the Capitol.
    Unfortunately, while my home is in one of the sunniest places on the planet, it is also one of the LEAST windy places on the planet.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Acala, I suppose a battery bank is acceptable for low power loads (everything except large motors and electric heating elements).

For refrigeration I recommend a combination of (1) excellent insulation, and (2) temperature moderation using water storage. A freezer can be superinsulated, and containers of water can be stored within. A good trick is to use salt water in the containers that will lower its freezing point. Likewise, a refrigerator can be loaded with water containers placed at the coldest point in the fridge with similar results (lower the thermostat setting for better results).

Residential solar powered adsorption chillers have been developed recently. Ufortunately they are currently available only in Europe, but it's just a matter of time before we see them in the U.S. See www.sortech.de for a description of the units. These are powered by solar heated water. I say use the system to cool a large store of water during the day that can be drawn upon during the evening hours. The store of water could be heated during the day if it were necessary to provide space heating during the evening hours. This would take a lot of water on the order of 1000 gallons to be effective (assuming a moderately sized well insulated home). But a cylindrical tank 6 feet in diameter and 5 feet tall is enough... that's not so bad.
    Batteries are fine - until they wear out. Might be very difficult to replace in a truly ugly situation. But, now that I think about it, maybe a worn out lead/acid battery can actually be regenerated? Anyone know why a lead/acid battery ultimately won't hold a charge? Maybe time for me to do some research . . .

A lead acid batter consists of lead and sulfuric acid. A battery works by moving a charge against current, a battery uses metal-acid reaction to do this. When you charge a battery, you reverse the process, but the lead is not restored 100%. The structure is left deteriorated in a tiny way and this builds up over time until the point that the structure of lead won't support the reaction effectively enough. Nickel-metal hydride batteries and lithium ion batteries and the newer lithium polymer batteries over come this to a great extent.

At least, that's how I remember understanding it when I read about it.

Batteries are fine - until they wear out. Might be very difficult to replace in a truly ugly situation. But, now that I think about it, maybe a worn out lead/acid battery can actually be regenerated? Anyone know why a lead/acid battery ultimately won't hold a charge? Maybe time for me to do some research . . .
    Sulfation of the plates.

Radiant chargers are now out that can knock the sulfate off the plates. Tesla technology brought back by John Bedini. Radiant energy pulses can restore old, even dead batteries. They charge batteries using less power than a traditional charger.
    http://www.energenx.com/
    http://www.r-charge.com/
    It's pretty easy to find dead batteries. If 75% of them can be restored to new condition one of these chargers could be pretty useful.
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Homer View Post
    Radiant chargers are now out that can knock the sulfate off the plates. Tesla technology brought back by John Bedini. Radiant energy pulses can restore old, even dead batteries. They charge batteries using less power than a traditional charger.
    http://www.energenx.com/
    http://www.r-charge.com/
    It's pretty easy to find dead batteries. If 75% of them can be restored to new condition one of these chargers could be pretty useful.
    hmmm interesting, so i guess the charger cannot be cheap! Whenever i see a website that doesn't want to show a price i think hmmm cannot be cheap? did you see a price on this charger??
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Homer View Post
    A Tesla Turbine is much more efficient (and cheaper to build, quieter to run, and more durable) than either a bladed turbine or a piston steam engine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine
    Steam is great in many ways, but unless you have a vast, inexpensive, and clean energy source, it has a lot of problems. That aside, Tesla turbines are indeed as good as it currently gets in that arena. Their largest drawback lies in that their torque comes on only with very high spindle speeds, usually in the tens of thousands of RPM, which renders them poor candidates for low-tech materials and production means. At such angular velocities, dynamic balance of the rotating mass becomes an issue, as does bearing and lubrication design. Another issue lies with getting them so spool up, with which they typically need some help. I have designed a simple solution for this. At one end of the turbine we mount an impulse turbine that connects to the Tesla gang either directly, in which it goes along for the ride as the arrangement runs, or by a sprague clutch that will allow the impulse element to idle once power to it is removed. A computer controlled or manually switched steam jet is used to start the impulse section, which has far better low speed torque characteristics than the Tesla section. Once the team is up to speed, the power is cut to the impulse section, causing the sprague clutch to disengage, thereby allowing the section come to idle as the Tesla section operates.

Were I a billionaire entrepreneur looking to research coolness, I would be hard at work on high temperature super conductors. If ever we develop such conductors that would operate up to, say, 150*F, the world as we know it would disappear in a couple of decades. The implications of HTS materials would be quite literally staggering - they would change everything. Imagine electrically powered commercial jet aircraft... or just go with anti-grav.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Fully agree. I am now considering designs for a radial steam engine - 6 to 9 cylinders. I also suspect that low pressure, high volume, low speed, low stress is the way to go for reliability and longevity. Highly stressed designs using highly engineered materials are great until they break and there are no parts available to replace them. That is when the virues of simplicity and low stress design become apparent... shortly before you freeze to death.
    I agree. But I do emphasize that lower speeds is more important for longevity and reliability as compared to lowering pressures. I have designed (not yet built) a very simple steam engine, biomass furnace, and steam generator that uses existing mass produced components throughout. The pressure is fairly high, but kept under 300 psig. The engine speed is kept low. Contact me if you want specifics. I am interested to know your ideas as well.
    Last edited by buenijo; 11-24-2013 at 01:03 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A maker of "workhorse" stationary steam engines, from 2 to 18 HP, from, what appears to be, a back alley foundry in India.

Not the highest of quality, according to this blog: http://www.loligo.com/blog/?p=50

But fully functional. Waiting to see if my youtube messages elicit a reply since there was no contact info to be found.

Very interesting and informative videos on small scale steam power:

http://vimeo.com/15334957
    http://vimeo.com/15167957
    http://vimeo.com/15196290
    Last edited by buenijo; 08-10-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speciallyblend View Post
    hmmm interesting, so i guess the charger cannot be cheap! Whenever i see a website that doesn't want to show a price i think hmmm cannot be cheap? did you see a price on this charger??
    The 2nd one has prices: http://www.r-charge.com/
    Online ordering and everything. I don't know, they may even be 2 sides to the same company, with the first geared towards industries and the second towards consumers.
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

WHOO HOO, update on the blue stationary steam engines pictured above.

Found the manufacturer:

http://www.tinytechindia.com/steampowerplan.htm

And here:

http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/mills/tinytech.htm

And the prices are "doable"

(7) STEAM POWER PLANT 8 HP
    Steam power plant consisting of (1) Single cylinder double acting steam engine 8 hp, cylinder diameter 4" x stroke 4", complete with reverse mechanism, hand lubricating pump for cylinder lubrication, drip lubricator for crosshead lubrication and 12" pulley (2) Water tube Yarrow type boiler suitable for biomass firing with 70 sq ft heating surface including economizer and superheater, test pressure 300 psi, working pressure 160 psi complete with water feed pump, water level gauge set, pressure gauge, safety valve, fire grates and 20ft chimney 1 set + interconnecting pipe lines, valves, pipe fittings etc
    COST US$ 4400/- with CD

Anti Federalist, I've been corresponding with Mr. Desai by email for a few weeks now. I do like what he's doing in trying to get small scale steam back in use. Those prices really are low. In fact, they're so low that I can't help but to wonder why. I recently asked Mr. Desai if he can make available all of the components of the engine unassembled and unpainted, and without feed pump or Stephenson link. I haven't yet received a reply on this, but I only just asked. If you do make a purchase, then perhaps consider this option. I've got my eyes on their 2 hp engine. At that price I don't think I can resist, ;-).

Anti Federalist, I've been corresponding with Mr. Desai by email for a few weeks now. I do like what he's doing in trying to get small scale steam back in use. Those prices really are low. In fact, they're so low that I can't help but to wonder why. I recently asked Mr. Desai if he can make available all of the components of the engine unassembled and unpainted, and without feed pump or Stephenson link. I haven't yet received a reply on this, but I only just asked. If you do make a purchase, then perhaps consider this option. I've got my eyes on their 2 hp engine. At that price I don't think I can resist, ;-).
    Awesome, I'm curious to see how he will reply.

I thought the same thing myself, that the twin eccentrics and Stephenson reverse gear would not serve much use on a stationary engine, since it can assumed that the engine will only need to turn in one direction for an industrial/generator load.

I could keep the feed pump though, that looks neat, I'm guessing it's a three stage, high pressure pump from a pressure washer.

I don't know if I'm going to make the leap though, I can imagine shipping and customs costing more than the unit itself.

ETA - Did you see the complete genset plants for roughly $2000 more? Trouble is they are 220v 50 cycle units and I have no idea how tightly they are regulating cycles or what process they use.

To me, it's much more simple to use this as part of three pronged, battery/inverter system using solar/wind/steam to keep the battery bank charged.

That will charge at 24 volts, 125 amps, internally regulated, one wire installation, all day long for an initial cost of roughly $300.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-17-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Anti Federalist, I'll update you on his response.

I'm not sure about the feed pump that he uses, but it looks like a diaphram pump. Here is a much better prospect for a feed pump: http://www.mcmaster.com/#pressure-washing-pumps/=mcck06 (see standard Hypro pressure washer pump). These piston pumps are available at various suppliers. I am aware of it being used as a feed pump in several steam boat applications.

I totally agree about using the system for battery charging. Here is another prospect for the alternator: http://www.windynation.com/jzv/p/267...tor?p=YzE9MTI= There are several models available. Personally, I like these permanent magnet alternators. I think they can work very well with a system designed for battery charging at a constant output where the power is low. BTW, my idea for designing a steam system involves using a low power engine to drive a PMA at a constant output to charge a battery without any charge controller. I'm trying to shed the system of all components that are not absolutely necessary. I feel that taking care to monitor the battery voltage regularly and adjusting the output of the steam system accordingly will be sufficient. A simple diversion load controller could be used as well.
    Last edited by buenijo; 03-15-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Anti Federalist, I got a reply from Mr. Desai. He notes that assembling his engines and testing them is necessary to identify any errors in machine work, and that disassembling the engines after assembly and testing would raise labor costs. It seems to me that if he's concerned about machining errors, then one had best opt for the fully assembled and tested engine before taking delivery. But his statements (along with the observations of Mr. John Todd) should raise eyebrows about the quality control of his operation. I guess you get what you pay for! Personally, if I were to make a purchase, then I would get two or three of the 2 hp engines (just the engines) listed at $650 each. This would provide redundancy and extra parts... just in case. I would provide my own feed pump and alternator.

Also, I strongly advise against anyone purchasing a boiler from this source. Limited quality control from a boiler manufacturer is not a viable option. So, unfortunately, steam power is not an option unless one is willing to build and test their own boiler. Good news is that it should be possible to construct a fairly low cost biomass furnace and monotube steam generator. At least, I'm convinced based on my research that this is possible provided the steam generation rate is limited to that sufficient to power a steam engine at 1-2 hp.
    Last edited by buenijo; 02-02-2011 at 08:19 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Web Site: www.uniflowpower.com

EXCERPT:

"Small scale, affordable, reliable and robust steam engine generators have the potential to free off-grid households and communities from the need to purchase diesel or petroleum based fuels to generate power. This is particularly the case where a 'hybrid' renewable energy system, incorporating solar panels, or small scale wind turbines and a battery bank are already in place. Every one of these 'hybrid' systems will also have a petrol or diesel generator integrated into the power supply to enable the battery bank to be conditioned and recharged. A Uniflow Generator could replace those fossil fuelled generators.

The Uniflow Generator can produce more than just electricity. This versatile energy production platform can also deliver hot water, rotary mechanical power, wet or dry steam, and distillation if required from renewable fuels.

Because there is no internal combustion, the S5000 is very quiet. In applications where it is being used to replace a diesel or petrol powered generator the low noise of the S5000 will be an enormous improvement in comfort and utility, allowing operation of the device indoors (with appropriate ventilation or external flues) and right beside other activity such as community or health centres, schools or workplaces, without the imposition that the roar of internal combustion generators can create.

The patented boiler does not use an accumulator, steam chest or 'pressure' cylinder but rather is a 'flash' boiler. We call it a 'steam generator'. If the mechanical power of the engine is not needed, the small and highly efficient steam generator can be used directly to produce either wet or dry steam, and thus deliver sterilizing, distillation, process heat, hot water and space heating depending on how the steam/water circuit is configured.

The Uniflow Generator has the potential to deliver a system that could comfortably power and heat an average suburban home, providing hot water, electricity and space heating, all from pelletised wood fuels. This is referred to as CHP, or combined heat and power.

Using high quality pelletised fuels a Uniflow CHP system should produce no visible smoke and be able to be largely automatically controlled like other modern home heating system. A program of work is also underway to develop a system that would run off natural gas for those applications where use of renewable solid fuels was not practical and where gas is available."
    Last edited by buenijo; 03-04-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

Fascinating thread guys, I never knew Steam power was still around, and for that matter, that it was actually practical!

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Fascinating thread guys, I never knew Steam power was still around, and for that matter, that it was actually practical!
    It built the world we know.

Check this out, a brand new (not restored or antique) 100 mph steam locomotive in the UK.

The Tornado

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast