Thread: Voter turnout and why we have a bigger shot then you might think!

Voter turnout and why we have a bigger shot then you might think!

I just shocked my self when I looked up the voter turnout for 2008:

Year -- Voting-age population -- Voter turnout

2008 -- 231,229,580 -- 132,618,580 -- 56.8%

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html

So it got me thinking. How do we figure out who didn't care to vote last time around and reach those people and motivate them to vote for Ron?
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    So it got me thinking. How do we figure out who didn't care to vote last time around and reach those people and motivate them to vote for Ron?
    Dunno, but it sure doesnt help when those on "our side" encourage people not to vote.

I won by ignoring nonvoters and focusing on people who are known to vote. The few times I put down the list and just hit everybody, I noticed that non-voters got literally angry at me for even suggesting that people go and vote. That didn't last long. I stuck with the plan, targeted voters specifically, and won. Just sayin'
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I won by ignoring nonvoters and focusing on people who are known to vote. The few times I put down the list and just hit everybody, I noticed that non-voters got literally angry at me for even suggesting that people go and vote. That didn't last long. I stuck with the plan, targeted voters specifically, and won. Just sayin'
    I think you both have a point. I certainly don't think that the CAMPAIGN should focus on non-voters. On the other hand, so many of us here were apathetic and/or non-voters before RP 2008, and the message certainly resonates with many of them, IF we can get their defenses down to make them see that RP is not "just another politician." This is a job for the grassroots - having friendly, casual conversations over a beer, perhaps - and not the campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We get them to come to us.

1) Produce banner ad's that appeal to everyone, like "Notice how your dollar isn't going as far?"
    2) Put together embed code, that people can use to put those banner ad's on Myspace, Facebook, blogs, etc. and promote that.
    3) buy google adspace for them.
    4) on click through, direct to web page with entertaining youtubes and charts that explain inflation and the fed like quantitative easing and Dr. Paul talking about inflation being a tax.
    5) Present the solution: Vote for Dr. Paul
    6) Point them to where to get more information
    7) Ask them to embed the banner ad on there pages, if they liked what they just saw.

A variation is tips of general interest - stain removal, clothing patterns, recipes, and so on, then work that into a discussion on politics or just have provocative banner ads at the tips site.

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 12-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.

It's stated over and over in political campaigns that going after non-voters is a waste of time. Because when it comes down to it...non-voters just don't vote.

BUT...Democrat voters won't have much to do this primary season....

I say we target Democrat primary voters with messages of ending the war and government transparency.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    It's stated over and over in political campaigns that going after non-voters is a waste of time. Because when it comes down to it...non-voters just don't vote.

BUT...Democrat voters won't have much to do this primary season....

I say we target Democrat primary voters with messages of ending the war and government transparency.
    Dems and unaffiliated -- but need to check whether state is open primary, modified open primary, or closed primary.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I'm going to disagree on this to an extent - just because people haven't voted doesn't mean they won't or don't want to. Much of it is a lack of education on the topics that effect them and if they knew just how important their vote was (local, regional, national), they'd get out and vote. Sure it's easier to target people who have voted before.. but don't dismiss the other 46% or whatever it is.

This is likely to anger folks - but I don't think Dr. Paul should run for President. His highest and best use is on the monetary side of things and being president is alot more than fiscal policy. He'll be 79 I think at election time and his chances are very, very slim. Just being real - you know that the competition will pound home this fact and in reality he is not the best communicator.

Take that money going to him and create commercial bakeries and provide bread to the hungry. You will get a return on the investment in terms of dollars and votes. Feed the hungry - communicate with them at the most basic level - and you will get their votes and change the system. No amount of media hype from the elite ruling class can break through that. People will want to change the system not because of you or i or dr. paul - but because it impacts them directly.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    I'm going to disagree on this to an extent - just because people haven't voted doesn't mean they won't or don't want to. Much of it is a lack of education on the topics that effect them and if they knew just how important their vote was (local, regional, national), they'd get out and vote. Sure it's easier to target people who have voted before.. but don't dismiss the other 46% or whatever it is.

This is likely to anger folks - but I don't think Dr. Paul should run for President. His highest and best use is on the monetary side of things and being president is alot more than fiscal policy. He'll be 79 I think at election time and his chances are very, very slim. Just being real - you know that the competition will pound home this fact and in reality he is not the best communicator.

Take that money going to him and create commercial bakeries and provide bread to the hungry. You will get a return on the investment in terms of dollars and votes. Feed the hungry - communicate with them at the most basic level - and you will get their votes and change the system. No amount of media hype from the elite ruling class can break through that. People will want to change the system not because of you or i or dr. paul - but because it impacts them directly.
    You go try reaching nonvoters. I can tell you how to get a list pretty easily. Your local GOP will be glad to cut you a list of nonvoters -- they already know you will have next to zero impact trying. Tell them you are a Ron Pauler, and if they hate Ron Paul they will give you all the lists of nonvoters you can handle. They will be overjoyed at the fact that you are wasting your time and having pretty much zero impact on their primary. Your local GOP will literally fall all over themselves to get you those lists, as there is literally no better way to keep you occupied and out of their way.

But by all means give it a go. Maybe you will surprise everyone. That would be really cool, no kidding. Experience teaches me otherwise.

Gunny,

I would'nt approach them as a Ron Pauler - just give them info and let them decide what they want to do for themselves. It's all about education and people knowing what's actually going on and how it effects them. I'm putting together a not-for-profit voter education initiative and am looking for volunteers if anyone wants to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    Gunny,

I would'nt approach them as a Ron Pauler - just give them info and let them decide what they want to do for themselves. It's all about education and people knowing what's actually going on and how it effects them. I'm putting together a not-for-profit voter education initiative and am looking for volunteers if anyone wants to participate.
    If you approach your local GOP to request lists of nonvoters as a Republican, they will try and talk you out of it and you probably won't get the lists. If you approach your local GOP as a Ron Pauler they will be more than happy to give you the lists to keep you occupied and out of their way.

Personally, several people I've "converted" didn't vote in 2008.

You can't generalize people. Everyone is different. There are many non-voters out there who don't vote because all politicians are fake and they're sick of it. That's why Ron has a good chance with them. Let them know Ron isn't a regular politician.

I mean come on, who the hell else in this country votes against every other member of congress because he thinks a bill is unconstitutional? This man has principles of steel, and that's why so many millions of Americans love him.
    The Heart of Conservatism is Libertarianism - Ronald Reagan

Obviously, if you can reach out to non-voters and get them interested and get them to actual go and cast their ballot, we definitely want to reach out to those people.

But the thing is, there are people, and they're not hard to find, who make it a point to go out and vote no matter what. If they have to choose between the Anti-Christ on the Republican ticket and the Whore of Babylon on the Democratic ticket, they will make it a point to cast their vote. And they often vote in primaries as well, or are more easily persuaded to. These are the people we ABSOLUTELY want to reach out to. You can work your ass off convincing someone who might not even vote to like Ron Paul, or you can work your ass off convincing someone who will definitely vote to support Ron Paul, but I can assure you that it's the latter type of person that will win elections.

Quote Originally Posted by thasre View Post
    Obviously, if you can reach out to non-voters and get them interested and get them to actual go and cast their ballot, we definitely want to reach out to those people.

But the thing is, there are people, and they're not hard to find, who make it a point to go out and vote no matter what. If they have to choose between the Anti-Christ on the Republican ticket and the Whore of Babylon on the Democratic ticket, they will make it a point to cast their vote. And they often vote in primaries as well, or are more easily persuaded to. These are the people we ABSOLUTELY want to reach out to. You can work your ass off convincing someone who might not even vote to like Ron Paul, or you can work your ass off convincing someone who will definitely vote to support Ron Paul, but I can assure you that it's the latter type of person that will win elections.
    I think you need both to win elections, i.e. Obama.

I think it shouldn't matter whether or not someone usually votes or not, just try to convert whoever you can. It's 100 times easier when it's someone you know than a complete stranger, so use that to your advantage.
    The Heart of Conservatism is Libertarianism - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by thasre View Post

About going after existing voters, we need to do it in a smart way. The following is the second panel from AU's campaign school on one of it's days. There are others on C-SPAN that are and aren't from this class. This is the targeting lecture and is math intensive. We need to get this down:

http://c-span.org/Watch/Media/2009/1...al+Events.aspx

-t