Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFIDs Chips In Tires?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Speaking of upc/bar codes. AF, you ever see the guide to making your own coupons? Basically somebody researched it and found out how to make your own at home and put the info online: hxxp://imgur.com/R7fmD.jpg

The coupon industry is now offering a 25k reward for somebody to turn him in... http://www.cents-off.com/doc/CouponGuyReward.pdf
    generating barcodes is actually really friggin simple, and there are open source programs for generating 1d/2d barcodes. we do some at work for tax forms... 1D (the upc codes you see on items at the store) are nothing more than a string of characters/numbers that translate to individual barcode widths.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FWIW, i work for one of the largest tire manufacturers and may be able to shine a little light on this - google my name and tire management. I work in the Off-Road/Mining side of things (actually just got back from a gold mine in Alaska...). Customers spend in some cases millions of dollars a year in tires and they want information on how their assets are performing. We have developed a tire tracking software that will help them determine how much money they have lost and how they are performing. I'm actually on a project team right now evaluating RFID tech for us. It isn't a .gov conspiracy it is trying to provide value to the customer. Tires in commercial trucking and off road get retreaded. when a tire goes back to be retreaded they want to make sure they get the original casing back - this is a way of doing it.

RFID is much more prevalent in over the road trucking than anything at this point. I doubt it makes a huge splash in consumer products. Mining is catching up. Personally, i think there are many, many more pressing issues in the freedom fight than spending time on this one. If the man is going to track you, they'll install a warrantless gps tracker on your car - not scan a rfid code that only emits a signal strong enough for a 20ft. or so radius.

My .02. And before i get flamed...the pic of me and Dr. Paul was from the Iowa Straw poll back in '07. Been following him for years. Campaigned, knocked on doors and was there for the snowballs in New Hampshire.
    "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave."
    -- Patrick Henry (speech in the Virginia Convention, 23 March 1775)

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by crhoades View Post
    FWIW, i work for one of the largest tire manufacturers and may be able to shine a little light on this - google my name and tire management. I work in the Off-Road/Mining side of things (actually just got back from a gold mine in Alaska...). Customers spend in some cases millions of dollars a year in tires and they want information on how their assets are performing. We have developed a tire tracking software that will help them determine how much money they have lost and how they are performing. I'm actually on a project team right now evaluating RFID tech for us. It isn't a .gov conspiracy it is trying to provide value to the customer. Tires in commercial trucking and off road get retreaded. when a tire goes back to be retreaded they want to make sure they get the original casing back - this is a way of doing it.

RFID is much more prevalent in over the road trucking than anything at this point. I doubt it makes a huge splash in consumer products. Mining is catching up. Personally, i think there are many, many more pressing issues in the freedom fight than spending time on this one. If the man is going to track you, they'll install a warrantless gps tracker on your car - not scan a rfid code that only emits a signal strong enough for a 20ft. or so radius.

My .02. And before i get flamed...the pic of me and Dr. Paul was from the Iowa Straw poll back in '07. Been following him for years. Campaigned, knocked on doors and was there for the snowballs in New Hampshire.
    No flames.
    There are certainly valid uses for RFID technology. Those are not the concern. It is the (potential and proposed) abuses of this technology.

For many years I had avoided computers. Passionately.
    The loss of privacy, the use by entities (government) to track and manipulate people. etc.
    I finally realized that the information was already out there and the only one that had no control over it was me.

Watching the direction RFID is going, concerns me. Not the legitimate uses, but the nefarious ones.
    I am not paranoid, but I am aware.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Scienc...sp?NewsNum=906

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Like my Dad says, Pete.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    No flames.
    There are certainly valid uses for RFID technology. Those are not the concern. It is the (potential and proposed) abuses of this technology.

For many years I had avoided computers. Passionately.
    The loss of privacy, the use by entities (government) to track and manipulate people. etc.
    I finally realized that the information was already out there and the only one that had no control over it was me.

Watching the direction RFID is going, concerns me. Not the legitimate uses, but the nefarious ones.
    I am not paranoid, but I am aware.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Scienc...sp?NewsNum=906

After the black helicopters descend and they hold you down and tattoo you, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
    As I noted before, this is a non-issue that does, however, deserve some watching over as it does carry the [u]potential]/u] for abuse. Our Rights, as contained within the BoR, pertains to interactions between government and citizens, not between companies and customers.

As I see it, it is only the manufacturers who will be paying any attention to these chips, used for shipping/receiving data generation and retrieval to facilitate recalls of dangerous products.

SOME people are, however, treating this as some crop circle conspiracy where secret g'ment agents will be landing their black, silent helicopters in the middle of the night to install detection antennae to track our every movements in chips that would somehow be programmed at the tire shop with all of our pertinent and personal information, updated with credit crd transactions, internets usage, and other information every time we drive over one of these antenna.

As I see it, these are nothing more than more permanent UPC symbols that won't wear off the tread, weather off the side wall, nor require removal of the tire from the wheel to read.

If anyone has any information to the contrary (and not media spun hysteria), please feel free to offer it.
    It wouldnt benefit the government to go the whole tin foil hat route, and run around in black helicopters sticking tracking beacons up ones ass.

It does benefit companies (like you said) to track people. What do you think cookies are for? If there is a potential for abuse, than we can pretty much guarantee that someone will use it to abuse people. The BoR is limited, and I think too limited in restricting what the government is allowed to do with people. I think that clause should have been specific and prohibited involuntary tracking of people by companies, of course, I think this is one of those things that the founding fathers had absolutely no way of predicting would happen. Government cant track you, but such and such company can, and does, we wont bother with a warrant and just ask them. Or better yet, go after the stupid people that put EVERYTHING on facebook, then just go look at their facebook profile. I dont fault the government for that, I blame the people for being $#@!ing stupid.

I also dont have any objection to a company tracking its inventory to be sold, or monitor tires and their performance, if it is used in those manners. Then again, I bought a can of tuna last week, and it has a barcode on it, and just because it has a barcode and that barcode did get scanned when I checked out and paid for it, it was used for inventory management (time to order more tuna) I am not paranoid of being tracked by anyone because I have a can of tuna, because mostly I dont think there is a way to abuse that kind of data. Well, short of the grocery store tying shopping habits with specific individuals and profiling them.

Its not about paranoia, its about permission. They didnt ask my permission to track me, most companies just assume that I will volunteer this information.

I do NOT volunteer my phone number every time the idiot at the register in Best Buy insists that I give them my phone number, and I pay cash. Of course, I used to go to Best Buy when the guy behind the counter REFUSED to sell me something without my phone number. I havent been back since. it doesnt matter what the thing I bought was, it was small and stupid, and should not require me to submit some form of information they can use to track ME for their benefit WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

If people give their permission, thats their problem, but they shouldnt be forced in to giving that information. Most of us on here use surnames, and arent dumb enough to publicly post their Social(ist) (in)Security Number on the website. Of course there are exceptions to every rule...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    It wouldnt benefit the government to go the whole tin foil hat route, and run around in black helicopters sticking tracking beacons up ones ass.

It does benefit companies (like you said) to track people. What do you think cookies are for? If there is a potential for abuse, than we can pretty much guarantee that someone will use it to abuse people. The BoR is limited, and I think too limited in restricting what the government is allowed to do with people. I think that clause should have been specific and prohibited involuntary tracking of people by companies, of course, I think this is one of those things that the founding fathers had absolutely no way of predicting would happen. Government cant track you, but such and such company can, and does, we wont bother with a warrant and just ask them. Or better yet, go after the stupid people that put EVERYTHING on facebook, then just go look at their facebook profile. I dont fault the government for that, I blame the people for being $#@!ing stupid.

I also dont have any objection to a company tracking its inventory to be sold, or monitor tires and their performance, if it is used in those manners. Then again, I bought a can of tuna last week, and it has a barcode on it, and just because it has a barcode and that barcode did get scanned when I checked out and paid for it, it was used for inventory management (time to order more tuna) I am not paranoid of being tracked by anyone because I have a can of tuna, because mostly I dont think there is a way to abuse that kind of data. Well, short of the grocery store tying shopping habits with specific individuals and profiling them.

Its not about paranoia, its about permission. They didnt ask my permission to track me, most companies just assume that I will volunteer this information.

I do NOT volunteer my phone number every time the idiot at the register in Best Buy insists that I give them my phone number, and I pay cash. Of course, I used to go to Best Buy when the guy behind the counter REFUSED to sell me something without my phone number. I havent been back since. it doesnt matter what the thing I bought was, it was small and stupid, and should not require me to submit some form of information they can use to track ME for their benefit WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

If people give their permission, thats their problem, but they shouldnt be forced in to giving that information. Most of us on here use surnames, and arent dumb enough to publicly post their Social(ist) (in)Security Number on the website. Of course there are exceptions to every rule...
    Well said.

However, a few points...

Like your can of tune (Albacore, I would hope, yum), tire sales would have to be tied to the individual for the government to track them. I agree, the potential for abuse is there, as I said, but the time and effort for the g'ment to abuse it would be prohibitive.

Also, said tracking would certainly come under the 4th amendment. Precedent has already been established for electronic correspondences, cell phone conversations, etc. coming under the auspices of the 4th as well. I have no trouble with g'ment policing agencies tracking people, under court supervision of course.

I have also walked out of Bust Buy when I tried to purchase a lap-top for school and the cashier refused not only to sell me the computer without giving my personal information, but also refused to get his manager. Should enough citizens become aware, and refuse to buy from sources that insist on gathering your personal information, Free Market principles will urge them to quit the practice. Otherwise,as you said, that's their problem.

Now, my computer needs are met by a small shop on the corner, where the owner does indeed know me by face and name, and my other electronics are purchased at other big box stores where I can walk in, buy, and leave through the line at the register anonymously.

The BoR was limited by the simple fact that it needed to pass through dozens of men motivated by self-interest and personal concerns over the wording of the amendments. It simply HAD to be vague or it wouldn't have passed. This is, of course, where SCOTUS comes in, the Third Branch of the g'ment whose Constitutional (and later Congressional) mandate includes applying Constitutional Principles to the petition of grievances We the People might bring before them.

So, its possible to Tune-A Fish, but not possible to Tune-A Tire! (/bad_joke)

Something else that does worry me about tires isnt the RFID, but that those really expensive tires that self inflate and monitor tire pressure can be hacked remotely, even while moving. Gov't wouldnt have any motive to do this, but the $#@! kids that do stupid $#@! for the sake of doing stupid $#@! would.

Reading thru my news today, and we have the Weirdest, Wackiest, and Stupidest Tech Stories of 2010

http://www.networkworld.com/slidesho...ayer8.html#top

One of the stories on here that concerns me is the "Arab-American student finds FBI tracking device on his car" story

http://www.networkworld.com/communit...-tracking-devi

Oh, youre Arab? You must be a terrorist!
    Last edited by DamianTV; 12-21-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

So, its possible to Tune-A Fish, but not possible to Tune-A Tire! (/bad_joke)

Something else that does worry me about tires isnt the RFID, but that those really expensive tires that self inflate and monitor tire pressure can be hacked remotely, even while moving. Gov't wouldnt have any motive to do this, but the $#@! kids that do stupid $#@! for the sake of doing stupid $#@! would.

Reading thru my news today, and we have the Weirdest, Wackiest, and Stupidest Tech Stories of 2010

http://www.networkworld.com/slidesho...ayer8.html#top

One of the stories on here that concerns me is the "Arab-American student finds FBI tracking device on his car" story

http://www.networkworld.com/communit...-tracking-devi

Oh, youre Arab? You must be a terrorist!
    Already brought up in the thread, but well worth repeating.

I do NOT volunteer my phone number every time the idiot at the register in Best Buy insists that I give them my phone number, and I pay cash. Of course, I used to go to Best Buy when the guy behind the counter REFUSED to sell me something without my phone number. I havent been back since.

Heck, just do what I do.

Give 'em the number to "Dial-A-Prayer" or "Time and Temperature."

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12