Thread: Drudge: President [STRIKE] Obama [/STRIKE] Clinton

Drudge: President [STRIKE] Obama [/STRIKE] Clinton

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/At-Oba....html?x=0&.v=1

President Obama Clinton

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bill Clinton implored Democrats to back the tax-cut deal that President Barack Obama negotiated with Republicans as the former president made a surprise appearance with Obama in the White House briefing room Friday -- and later took over the podium.

"I don't believe there is a better deal out there," Clinton told reporters who'd been summoned at a moment's notice to see the former chief executive back the current one. Clinton and Obama had just finished a private meeting in the Oval Office.

Obama said it was a "terrific meeting" and then yielded to Clinton. The voluble former president took center stage, and Obama left part-way through his remarks, saying he had holiday parties to attend. Clinton not only provided an economic tutorial but riffed on several topics, including the need for the Senate to ratify a U.S.-Russia nuclear treaty.

"Both sides are going to have to eat some things they don't like," Clinton told reporters about the tax deal. "We don't want to slip back into a recession. We've got to keep this thing going and accelerate its pace. I think this is the best available option."

The pact would extend cuts in income tax rates for all earners that would otherwise expire next month, renew long-term jobless benefits and trim Social Security taxes for one year. A number of liberal Democrats say it gives away too much to Republicans, and a provision that's particularly irksome to Democrats cuts estate taxes for the wealthiest Americans.

Nonetheless the measure appears headed for Senate approval after negotiators added a few relatively modest sweeteners to promote ethanol and other forms of alternative energy. It's unclear whether House Democrats, who are most opposed, will be able to demand changes that go much further.

Clinton gave the package his full-throated endorsement, even while noting that he opposes the extension of upper-income tax cuts -- though he himself will benefit from it.

"I personally believe this is a good deal and the best he could have gotten under the circumstances," Clinton said, urging fellow Democrats to support it.

"If I was in office now, I would have done what the president has done," he said.

Clinton, whose focus on the economy helped get him elected in 1992, said he spends about an hour a day studying up on it and trying to figure out what to do about it. He said the proposal to trim Social Security taxes is the "single most effective tax cut" to support economic activity and create jobs. "I expect it to lower the unemployment rate and keep us going," he said.

"In my opinion, this is a good bill and I hope that my fellow Democrats will support it," Clinton said. "I think this is a much, much better agreement than would be reached were we to wait until January."

Republicans, newly emboldened after an election that next year will put the GOP in charge of the House and trim the Democratic majority in the Senate, stood united against Obama's insistence that the tax rates be kept in place only for those earning up to $250,000 a year. Republicans and some Democrats argued that the economic climate would not support higher taxes and urged that the rates be extended for all.

In announcing the agreement, Obama said he wanted to reach a deal before the year-end deadline because a political stalemate or drawn-out fight between the two parties would hurt the economic recovery that is under way.

Clinton, who was confronted with similar circumstances after the congressional elections two years into his first term, said he agreed with Obama's rationale. The former president also urged the parties to "row" together.

"After the '94 election I said that the American people, in their infinite wisdom, had put us both in the same boat, so we're going to either row or sink," he said. "And I want us to row."

He said Republicans and Democrats both have to accept the message voters sent in the last election, which is that they want the president and lawmakers from the opposing party to compromise.

"Everybody's got to give a little," Clinton said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

MILTON FRIEDMAN: "We do not influence the course of events by persuading people that we are right when we make what they regard as radical proposals. Rather, we exert influence by keeping options available when something has to be done at a time of crisis."
    TACITUS: "Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
    TEAM AMERICA: "America, FUCK YEAH!"
    ENGINEERNJ: "You've got one 75-year-old man trying to keep 300 million people from going down the toilet."

+ rep, csawke, when I have more reps to give to you!

Images say a thousand words.

MILTON FRIEDMAN: "We do not influence the course of events by persuading people that we are right when we make what they regard as radical proposals. Rather, we exert influence by keeping options available when something has to be done at a time of crisis."
    ENGINEERNJ: "You've got one 75-year-old man trying to keep 300 million people from going down the toilet."

Quote Originally Posted by cswake View Post
    This could be the best pic and headline I have ever seen.
    "It is our true policy to steer clear of entangling alliances with any portion of the foreign world. "
    George Washington

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations"
    James Madison

I'm not fond of Clinton, but I suspect that'd be one heck of an improvement.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Eh- not that big of a deal for a President to turn over the poduim to a spokesperson.

I do disagree with this though:
    Clinton, whose focus on the economy helped get him elected in 1992, said he spends about an hour a day studying up on it and trying to figure out what to do about it. He said the proposal to trim Social Security taxes is the "single most effective tax cut" to support economic activity and create jobs. "I expect it to lower the unemployment rate and keep us going," he said.
    Won't have much effect at all to cut the Social Security tax rates by two percent. It won't increase spending in the economy enough to have much of an impact. But it will add more to the deficit.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-10-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I'm not fond of Clinton, but I suspect that'd be one heck of an improvement.
    New Boss would be the Old Boss. Minor improvement perhaps in the annoyance factor, and even then, they'd still be pretty damn close.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Eh- not that big of a deal for a President to turn over the poduim to a spokesperson.
    The whole event didn't feel right to me, but I wasn't going to argue with you since Presidents normally do turn over the podium. Until I saw this from Denninger:

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=174712

At the end of the day though this isn't so much about what Clinton had to say - it's that our sitting President abdicated the podium to Bill Clinton and let him go on for 20 minutes on policy instead of taking it on himself.

Folks, an organization with a weak - or absent - head has no head at all.

This was a clear statement to our enemies, and yes, we do have them, both physical and economic, that they may literally "fire at will."
    While I do not believe they will fire at will, at least the physical ones, it was a worldwide, public demonstration of Obama's inability to handle tough situations and his eagerness to let someone else deal with it - a very significant character flaw for someone who has so much power in their hands - and a sign he is in way over his head.

I think a lot of people spotted it, and Drudge's staff saw it too, the words meant less than the actions and mannerisms. "VIDEO: Obama Ditches Tax-Cut Presser After Clinton Takes Control...":

Last edited by cswake; 12-11-2010 at 08:55 PM.

I think Bill went on so long because he was enjoying it. He was only supposed to speak a few minutes and even said "this is it now" a few times. He misses being the #1 guy in the public eye. He was initially only going to cover one issue but ended up talking about a lot of things.

The whole scenario, regardless of political viewpoints, had the stench of poor leadership capabilities. It seemed to underline that Obama is not a leader, which is a different subject from political views. It made him appear very weak.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

from the OP:

Clinton gave the package his full-throated endorsement
    LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    from the OP:

LMAO!

I didn't even catch that!

Larry Sinclair has details.

Smile sometimes does 1990 + 1994 = 2010...???

1990 and G.H.W. Bush's big military aspected
    deficit is what he inherited from the AULD GIPPER
    meets up with newt gingrich & potus bill clinton
    both seeing what went swimmingly down in 1994?
    Last edited by Aratus; 12-12-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: thah shrub???