Thread: Assange accuser flees country. Assange's lawyer says gov withholding documents

Assange accuser flees country. Assange's lawyer says gov withholding documents

Report: Assange accuser flees to Middle East, may not be cooperating with police

Sweden withholding documentation on Assange probe: lawyer

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/a...erating-police

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The article has a flaw . It is not treason they would try to charge him with , but espionage , I think .

It doesn't say they would charge him with treason. It says they can't because he's not a US citizen and wasn't dumping documents inside the US.

If anything it'd be espionage, but even that is a stretch considering they would also have to charge the NY Times and everyone else who released cables.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenB4Liberty View Post
    It doesn't say they would charge him with treason. It says they can't because he's not a US citizen and wasn't dumping documents inside the US.

If anything it'd be espionage, but even that is a stretch considering they would also have to charge the NY Times and everyone else who released cables.
    Yeah , I have no idea how this will pan out . I think the govt. may have cleared the Times stuff .

Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    Report: Assange accuser flees to Middle East, may not be cooperating with police

Sweden withholding documentation on Assange probe: lawyer

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/a...erating-police
    Wow; no cooperation from victim; absence of witness/plaintiff; vague/no charges; ridiculous condom-rape laws; and no evidence of any real violation, including espionage (see pentagon-papers case) – yet Assange is still in jail. Amazing. Has his lawyer seen him today? Was he OK?

Quote Originally Posted by idirtify View Post
    Wow; no cooperation from victim; absence of witness/plaintiff; vague/no charges; ridiculous condom-rape laws; and no evidence of any real violation, including espionage (see pentagon-papers case) – yet Assange is still in jail. Amazing. Has his lawyer seen him today? Was he OK?
    Yeah at some point do they not have to make a formal charge and give info to his lawyer ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Yeah at some point do they not have to make a formal charge and give info to his lawyer ?
    That was certainly his lawyer’s complaint, but I don’t think they have the same due-process laws/rights over there. So who knows?

Yes , there is probably someone on this board from that country .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Exclamation EU Home Affairs Minister, Swedish Justice Minister, DHS, DOJ Conspire on WIKILEAKS

Oh, One Big Happy Family in the New World Order... it gets better... checkout this little coincidence from last week and today... 12/2/2010 12/9/2010

EU's Minister of Home Affairs (EU's version of DHS) Annemie Turtleboom and Sweden's Minister of Justice Beatrice Ask... A week BEFORE Wikileaks Julian Assange's Arrest

Today, 12/09/2010 in Washington DC... EU's Home Affairs Minister Annemie Turtleboom with DOJ Eric Holder and DHS Janet Napolitano.

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I'm not an expert in espionage law but how do you charge someone with a crime when they were not even in the jurisdiction when the act was committed?

Some of Ardin's most recent Tweets suggest sympathy for WikiLeaks.

"MasterCard, Visa and PayPal -- belt them now!" Ardin urged in a Tweet Wednesday, evidently referring to the cyber-attacks launched on those institutions after they severed their relationships with WikiLeaks.
    Hahahahhahahahahah!!!
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm not an expert in espionage law but how do you charge someone with a crime when they were not even in the jurisdiction when the act was committed?
    http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/espionageact.htm

He'd probably be charged under Section (1)(b)
    (b) whoever for the purpose aforesaid, and with like intent or reason to believe, copies, takes, makes, or obtains, or attempts, or induces or aids another to copy, take, make, or obtain, any sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blue print, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, document, writing or note of anything connected with the national defence;

And U.S. courts have allowed U.S. laws to be applied to acts outside the U.S. For instance if you engaged in "sex tourism" and had sex with a minor you could be prosecuted.

That said, if I was defending him against the charge I would start here:

(a) whoever, for the purpose of obtaining information respecting the national defence with intent or reason to believe that the information to be obtained is to be used to the injury of the United States....

Nobody has alleged any real injury nor an intent to injure the U.S. Assange's stated intent is to help the U.S. by forcing the government to be more honest. Now the prosecution will argue that the leaks hurt the U.S. by crippling diplomatic efforts. But the burden of proof is on them. And it's difficult with the Obama administration running around doing damage control and saying this is all "no big deal". Every leak so far has either been innocuous (Putin is a mobster), in line with the Obama/neocon agenda (the Arabs hate Iran too) or exposing criminality (Hillary steals credit cards, DynCorp rapes children). In a fair trial Assange could actually win. That's why he won't get a fair trial.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Nah , the 1917 espionage law covers written matl. for anyone , anywhere , I think .

Nah , the 1917 espionage law covers written matl. for anyone , anywhere , I think .

Wikileaks and the Pentagon Papers

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/09/32476.htm

NEW YORK TIMES CO. v. UNITED STATES
    (The Pentagon Papers Case)
    403 U.S. 713 (1971)

http://www.journalism.wisc.edu/~drec...gonPapers.html
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

(b) whoever for the purpose aforesaid, and with like intent or reason to believe, copies, takes, makes, or obtains, or attempts, or induces or aids another to copy, take, make, or obtain, any sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blue print, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, document, writing or note of anything connected with the national defence;

And U.S. courts have allowed U.S. laws to be applied to acts outside the U.S. For instance if you engaged in "sex tourism" and had sex with a minor you could be prosecuted.

(a) whoever, for the purpose of obtaining information respecting the national defence with intent or reason to believe that the information to be obtained is to be used to the injury of the United States....

Nobody has alleged any real injury nor an intent to injure the U.S. Assange's stated intent is to help the U.S. by forcing the government to be more honest. Now the prosecution will argue that the leaks hurt the U.S. by crippling diplomatic efforts. But the burden of proof is on them. And it's difficult with the Obama administration running around doing damage control and saying this is all "no big deal". Every leak so far has either been innocuous (Putin is a mobster), in line with the Obama/neocon agenda (the Arabs hate Iran too) or exposing criminality (Hillary steals credit cards, DynCorp rapes children). In a fair trial Assange could actually win. That's why he won't get a fair trial.
    I would try to use this same angle to defend him as well .

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

I would question the definition of “the injury of the United States”. Is that an injury to the nation or to the nation’s government? The nation’s government is NOT the same as the nation; the government only represents the nation. And then they will need to define “injury”. If they ignore these important definitions/distinctions, of course there will be no problem proving “injury” (to the reputations of US representatives).

I believe some US representatives (Gingrich, etc) have claimed that Assange said he wanted to hurt the US. But if that’s a spin of him saying he wanted to hurt the US government in order to help the US nation, it would be tragic to not address this distinction.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We're talking about clapped-out, stupid to a fault, authoritarian, collectivist Europe where you have no rights except to collect free checks on the backs of god only knows whom. For them due process is whatever they say it is. $#@!s.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.