Thread: UPS now requires photo ID to ship anything...

UPS now requires photo ID to ship anything...

according to the news just now...

so much for the UPS drop off "mail box" in the area...

-t

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    according to the news just now...

so much for the UPS drop off "mail box" in the area...

-t

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/...ity-steps.html

Just for packages/boxes right now... so far....

UPS Expands Photo ID Requirement for Retail Shipping
    By Juliann Neher - Dec 7, 2010

United Parcel Service Inc. will require customers shipping packages to show government-issued photo identification in an effort to intensify security after explosives were found on October cargo flights.

The new policy expands a previous rule in place at UPS Customer Centers to include all retail outlets. Customers without a pre-printed shipping label will have to display an ID, Atlanta-based UPS said in a statement today.

“Since retail centers experience a significant increase in business from occasional shippers during the busy holidays, this enhancement adds a prudent step in our multilayered approach to security,” Dale Hayes, vice president of small business and retail marketing, said in the statement.

British authorities discovered a bomb in a printer cartridge sent from Yemen at the U.K’s East Midlands airport that was timed to explode over the eastern seaboard of the U.S. Another device was intercepted and defused at a FedEx Corp. facility in Dubai. Both were bound for Chicago from Yemen.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/abo...quirement.html

Effective December 7, 2010, consumers who originate and tender a shipment to any retail shipping location will be required to show a government-issued photo ID as a form of identification. The photo must match the person tendering the shipment.
    I think drop-boxes are still okay, since they can track through the payment information. It sounds like the security risk was people paying in cash.

Thumbs up to UPS for being proactive without the need for laws from the Feds.

MILTON FRIEDMAN: "We do not influence the course of events by persuading people that we are right when we make what they regard as radical proposals. Rather, we exert influence by keeping options available when something has to be done at a time of crisis."
    TACITUS: "Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
    TEAM AMERICA: "America, FUCK YEAH!"
    ENGINEERNJ: "You've got one 75-year-old man trying to keep 300 million people from going down the toilet."

Guess im not sending my aunt her Christmas gift

Quote Originally Posted by UtahApocalypse View Post
    Guess im not sending my aunt her Christmas gift

I don't think FedEx requires ID.... yet.... and I'm pretty sure the Post Office doesn't, if you want to take the risk of using USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by cswake View Post

I think drop-boxes are still okay, since they can track through the payment information. It sounds like the security risk was people paying in cash.

Is it really paying in cash, or is it they are afraid of people shipping bombs? My guess is they want to know who shipped a bomb should one be found or actually blow up a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    I don't think FedEx requires ID.... yet.... and I'm pretty sure the Post Office doesn't, if you want to take the risk of using USPS.
    Anything over certain dimensions must be mailed in person - which typically requires going to a post office that typically has video surveillance.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/...ity-steps.html

Just for packages/boxes right now... so far....
    UPS doesn't do envelopes - that's USPS's monopoly. What is there beyond packages/boxes for them - thought that was all they did????

-t

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Laws, smaws - Liberman probably gave them a call or sent some of his DHS cronies to threaten them for him....

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Is it really paying in cash, or is it they are afraid of people shipping bombs? My guess is they want to know who shipped a bomb should one be found or actually blow up a plane.
    It's the former more than anything. By requiring ID they are removing anonymity of cash so that they can identify the person who ships a bomb. If it was the latter, they would screen every package before taking it and require ID on any online credit card / account shipments.

*edit* The solution isn't perfect though, since the terrorists could always just use a stolen credit card and pre-print the label online using a stolen ID.
    Last edited by cswake; 12-07-2010 at 12:10 PM.

MILTON FRIEDMAN: "We do not influence the course of events by persuading people that we are right when we make what they regard as radical proposals. Rather, we exert influence by keeping options available when something has to be done at a time of crisis."
    ENGINEERNJ: "You've got one 75-year-old man trying to keep 300 million people from going down the toilet."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I've shipped a few other things over the years (not bombs) that I would rather not have my name attached to. This sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I've shipped a few other things over the years (not bombs) that I would rather not have my name attached to. This sucks.
    I agree, but they're a private company. It's their right. What sucks is that they'll start lobbying to force FedEx and their other competitors to do the same.

At least we know with the USPS that their procedure of asking "are you shipping anything hazardous, perishable, etc" is fool-proof.

At least we know with the USPS that their procedure of asking "are you shipping anything hazardous, perishable, etc" is fool-proof.
    Just as fool-proof as the sign that says, "Gun free zone."

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    UPS doesn't do envelopes - that's USPS's monopoly. What is there beyond packages/boxes for them - thought that was all they did????

-t

They do "overnight express" style envelopes. Look outside any business office complex, or truck stops for that matter, and you'll see a UPS drop box. The envelopes are about the same size as a USPS "Priority" or "Express" envelope, and depending on the distance and delivery time, can cost anywhere from around ten bucks to over forty dollars. FedEx does the same.

+1

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    hey I guess if it were my planes I might do the same....private company.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

So we're to believe that a terrorist - who has the determination and capability to build a bomb - is unable to obtain a fake ID, something millions of underage college kids and 'undocumented' immigrants have easily been able to do? This is nothing but a 'feel good' measure that won't actually stop any attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by gls View Post
    So we're to believe that a terrorist - who has the determination and capability to build a bomb - is unable to obtain a fake ID, something millions of underage college kids and 'undocumented' immigrants have easily been able to do? This is nothing but a 'feel good' measure that won't actually stop any attacks.
    But it will drive up costs and adversely effect the economy.

DHS just scored another point for the "terrorists"...

SECURITY THEATER!

-t

Of course not. The advantage is that UPS can change strategies on a whim, while regulations linger in perpetuity. The markets will work if given the chance. Let's not lose sight of the ultimate goal of removing their desire to do the crime in the first place...

all a terrorist needs to do is buy a printer or something with a pre-payed credit card, then go through the return process to get a pre-printed delivery label.

just another bandaid after the fact to slow the bleeding

Ship dildo's and electric razors....

-t

I do not know . I am in my forties and have to show id at my bank , they all know me . I have to show id to vote , they know me , I have to show id to buy beer & cigaretes , they know me too . At ups they just put my phone number in I think and have my name and one address .

Nothing like the priveledge of showing id to pay $2.00 in tax on a pack of cigarettes .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well , more than that really , $1 state , $1 federal and .30 cents sales .

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I agree, but they're a private company. It's their right. What sucks is that they'll start lobbying to force FedEx and their other competitors to do the same.
    I am willing to bet the government strong armed them into it.

What's interesting is that MOST of UPS' freight is actually ground.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

LibForestPaul

It's the former more than anything. By requiring ID they are removing anonymity of cash so that they can identify the person who ships a bomb. If it was the latter, they would screen every package before taking it and require ID on any online credit card / account shipments.

*edit* The solution isn't perfect though, since the terrorists could always just use a stolen credit card and pre-print the label online using a stolen ID.
    Yes, because our borders are secure and they can simply not leave when they want to.
    Yes, because state DMVs have tight security.
    Yes. because suicidal bombers worry about being id.

Sure, it's simply another episode of Security Theater. Where's SNL when we could really use them? The state wants total power and UPS is just a spoke in the wheel to get there. For example, how long will this idiotic requirement last when someone walks into a UPS store in disguise (mask) with ID containing a photograph of the person in a mask and ships something "unapproved" by authorities? The next step to combat such a possibility is ...?
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 12-07-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    Truth Drives Me

proactive? they are just doing what the TSA $#@!s told them to, maybe off the record.