Thread: Generator?

Generator?

Which is the best (brand,type) to rely on? I am looking for something that may to be relied on for extended periods of time. Just starting my research and looking for some direction. Thanks
    "It takes a revolution, to make a solution. Too much confusion, so much frustration" Bob Marley

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From what I've read, gasoline generators are ok for backup generators as they are cheaper, but diesel generators are more quiet, have better performance and last longer if they are used continuously. However using a diesel generator for backup purposes, it can actually break down more quickly since it isn't getting continuous use.

So continuous use, diesel is better than gasoline, and for back-up, gasoline is supposedly better.

Then there is also natural gas generators, might be worth looking into if that works logistically with what you're doing.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Not sure which brand is best.

Some pretty good deals from the gov...
    http://www.govliquidation.com
    (Peruse at your leisure, pages 2-3)
    Last edited by IPSecure; 03-24-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    My Tribute To The MSM: "The Pusher"
    Beck's Audience: YouTube - Family Guy - Undecided Voters
    How to end ALL Taxation:
    (Walter Burien - CAFR) TaxRetirement.com
    Next Scam:
    "Cash For Cash"
    Regarding Romans 13:
    "Caesar Is Dead"
    How Corrupt Is Your Traitor? http://maplight.org/
    Exposing Government Travel Excesses: http://junketsleuth.com/
    Track The Bailouts: http://bailoutsleuth.com/
    Securities Fraud And Corporate Chicanery: http://sharesleuth.com/
    RonPaul2012

I never thought about Natural gas or LP but that may be the way to go and help eliminate any long term storage issues with containers of gasoline or diesel. I could install a few underground propane tanks. Any expeirences with LP generators?
    "It takes a revolution, to make a solution. Too much confusion, so much frustration" Bob Marley

Danno is right about gas/diesel, except that I think diesels are generally more noisy. Natural gas/LPG/propane engines and their generators are basically gasoline engines with slight modifications. You won't run any on veggie oil, that's for diesels. But you could run them on alchohol if your rubber tubes and fittings are right and you're sure the alchohol won't wash the oil off of the cylinder walls.

You're far better off with a wind generator and/or solar setup with batteries if that's enough and you can make it work. Also, there's hydro-electric. So you build a dam, you ask? A good old fashioned, mill-style water wheel would do. If you have running water around.

Thousands of truckers like Onan, which is now a Cummins division. This probably means it's the Toyota of generators--good but priced at a premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    I have this one: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...elid=EU2000IKN

Used it 5 times last month alone. Very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalMystic View Post
    Which is the best (brand,type) to rely on? I am looking for something that may to be relied on for extended periods of time. Just starting my research and looking for some direction. Thanks
    Generac and Kohler are top names, but you pay for the quality.

If you can get your hands on a surplussed telco generator, they are excellent. As I recall, they rate either 14 kw or 21 kw, are generally bullet proof, and last forever with proper maintenance. They are, however, not that easy to find anymore.

As for NG/LP fueled generators, there are some distinct advantages. Being relatively clean in terms of combustion, engine oils tend to last longer as they do not get loaded up with the nasty combustion by-products that blow by the piston rings.

I have gas wells on my property and unlimited free NG, so I will be investigating a gas-powered generator one of these days.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have a 5000W Generac generator with a Briggs and Stratton engine that I bought for Y2K (anybody remember Y2K? the world didn't end), almost 12 years ago. I use it maybe once or twice a year, usually drain the gas when I am done with it.
    I set up my house to use the generator by back feeding the house wiring through the 220V dryer outlet. Legal disclaimer: probably dangerous and illegal, so make sure you know what you are doing. Be damn sure the main circuit breaker is open when you hook up the generator to the house. I traced the breakers so that I can turn off circuits to computers and TVs so any electronics don't get fried with the generator.
    It would be enough to keep the heat circulating and freezer cold and some lights on. Just in case of a tornado, wind storm or whatever might shut off power for a few days or weeks. I would just set it up behind the house and run it for a few hours a couple times a day. Never have had to use it for an emergency yet.
    --------------------------------------------
    First step to ending the income tax: end payroll tax withholding.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

I looked into this a bit and my ideal rig was a Lister diesel as the prime mover driving a permanent magnet generator. The only new Listers available were coming out of India and of spotty quality, often requiring extensive work. So I hemmed and hawed and then EPA banned their import, so I had to abandon that plan. But if you could find a genuine UK Lister, that would be awesome. They are made to run continuously for a long, long time. And then they are easy to repair. Unfortunately not too common on this side of the pond.

Couldn't find a Lister so instead I went with an old, single cylinder gasoline engine like this:

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search...b&fr=yfp-t-701

I am still working on the restoration. I figure I can make it run on ethanol if gasoline is not available. The bearings are all Babbet, so can be home-made. Another good thing about them is that they are relatively quiet because they run at low rpm (about 400) and are low compression. One of those modern, high rpm gasoline generators screaming along day and night can really be annoying.

These engines are suprisingly common since millions of them were made. You can check for some close to you here:

http://www.enginads.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/2

Also, you may have a local club that restores them and shows them at the fair. That is where I got mine.

Then get a genhead on ebay and you are in business for less than anything you can buy commercially of anything remotely like the same durability.
    Last edited by Acala; 03-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I have gas wells on my property and unlimited free NG, so I will be investigating a gas-powered generator one of these days.
    You probably know this, but just in case: some of the old hit and miss engines were designed to run on oil field gas. They drove the pumps. You can find them in running condition. Some of them were BIG! And with a new set of Babbitts they will run for years. Way cool!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    You probably know this, but just in case: some of the old hit and miss engines were designed to run on oil field gas. They drove the pumps. You can find them in running condition. Some of them were BIG! And with a new set of Babbitts they will run for years. Way cool!
    Lots of those around this end of the world, driving the few remaining 'grasshopper' oil well pumps and just sitting around. And they do just run and run and run--if you don't expect them to run at any other speed but the speed they run at.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Solar PV panels for main power and a diesel generator would be a good idea as Danno suggested.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

The beauty of low-speed, low-stress operation. Make the gadgets large, heavy, and slow and they will live well past your great great great grandchildren's great great great grandchildren.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I looked into this a bit and my ideal rig was a Lister diesel
    If you want one of the absolutely finest diesels every made, any of the 71-series Detroit Diesels would do. They were common in city buses, for example, usually in 8-71 incarnations. The 2-71 is also superb and when properly tuned, is perhaps the more fuel efficient small diesel ever produced in large numbers. A friend has an old AC bulldozer powered by a 2-71 and it consumes about 1 gallon/hour going full tilt. The -71 series are two-stroke, supercharged units built to very high tolerances. They are difficult to tune properly, but once you get the hang of it, you have a fine piece of technology on your hands. They ranged from the 2-71 (2 cylinders) to the 16-71, a V-16. You can get them at reasonable prices even today. Their reliability is difficult to surpass.

listeriod (lister knock off) + pmg (permanent magnet generator) = reliable power.
    this may be a bit extreme for some people, but if you are interested in secure power production, i urge you to look into a "lister generator" coupled with a good permanent magnet generator.

if that is to much to spend/time to invest, i suggest a generator the will run on propane. this way you can store 20-100gal of propane.
    if that is to much trouble, a diesel generator with a 55g drum of diesel should get you through a few weeks minimum.

as a last resort i would get a gas generator and run it in "spurts" to keep thing like the fridge / heater (necessities) running.

hope that helps

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For a high-quality, consumer-grade generator, I'd recommend a Honda that uses diesel.

If you want one of the absolutely finest diesels every made, any of the 71-series Detroit Diesels would do. They were common in city buses, for example, usually in 8-71 incarnations. The 2-71 is also superb and when properly tuned, is perhaps the more fuel efficient small diesel ever produced in large numbers. A friend has an old AC bulldozer powered by a 2-71 and it consumes about 1 gallon/hour going full tilt. The -71 series are two-stroke, supercharged units built to very high tolerances. They are difficult to tune properly, but once you get the hang of it, you have a fine piece of technology on your hands. They ranged from the 2-71 (2 cylinders) to the 16-71, a V-16. You can get them at reasonable prices even today. Their reliability is difficult to surpass.
    The 53 series are just as bulletproof.

For those who care, the number denotes cubic inch displacement (the way we're supposed to measure engine size goddammit) per cylinder.

53 CID per cylinder - 71 CID - 92 CID and so on, I think to the 110 series. ETA - 149 was the largest displacement.

A buddy of mine did this back in the 80s. I'd like to try it myself.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-30-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The 53 series are just as bulletproof.

For those who care, the number denotes cubic inch displacement (the way we're supposed to measure engine size goddammit) per cylinder.

53 CID per cylinder - 71 CID - 92 CID and so on, I think to the 110 series.

A buddy of mine did this back in the 80s. I'd like to try it myself.

Yes, there are those. I mentioned the -71 series because they are perhaps the most common.

Also, Onan generators can also be a very good deal if you can find used ones in good repair.

53 CID per cylinder - 71 CID - 92 CID and so on, I think to the 110 series.
    Don't forget 567 and 645. Yeah, really. But they weren't Detroit--they were from Electro-Motive Division.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Don't forget 567 and 645. Yeah, really. But they weren't Detroit--they were from Electro-Motive Division.
    I've run vessels with twin 20 cylinder marine versions of the 645s.

One had a pair of F3 turbocharged models.

Big. Farkin. Power.

I used to prefer CAT power, but the new, computerized, Eurofag CAT stuff is pure $#@!.

Yes, there are those. I mentioned the -71 series because they are perhaps the most common.

Also, Onan generators can also be a very good deal if you can find used ones in good repair.
    Yes, very common.

The first 6/71 was made in 1938 and made 190 HP.

I've seen Johnson and Tower's highly tweaked marine TIB versions that made over 670 HP.

Yes, very common.

The first 6/71 was made in 1938 and made 190 HP.

I've seen Johnson and Tower's highly tweaked marine TIB versions that made over 670 HP.
    It is a shame we have the rotten-corrupt EPA running our balls here in the USA. We could be producing Armada-sized SUV hybrids getting 80mpg and more.

$#@! all regulatory agencies.

Better stop now... feel a boil coming on.

It is a shame we have the rotten-corrupt EPA running our balls here in the USA. We could be producing Armada-sized SUV hybrids getting 80mpg and more.

$#@! all regulatory agencies.

Better stop now... feel a boil coming on.
    Slim pickings...arrg.

2011 diesel cars in the USA: here’s the lineup
    http://www.practicalenvironmentalist...l-cars-usa.htm

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No joke what few diesels do make it to the US market get 25-50% less mpg than the euro equivalent. Not to mention it is pretty sad when you can disable a EGR system and maybe do a turbo back straight exhaust and gain MPG. And your engine will thank you for not having to deal with as much soot, the main reason for the current API CJ spec diesel oil - soot control.

If one is concerned about emissions wouldn't improving fuel economy decrease emissions per mile as less fuel is burned? lol not to mention not having that junk from the get go lowers cost all the way from engineering/design to manufacturing to consumer maintenance upkeep.

anyway back on topic...

I would love to get my hands on an old stationary engine, that would be cool. Though propane/natural gas generators are a good alternative. Northern Tool offers a few Tri-fuel generators (gas/propane/NG) if your looking for something ready to run. There are also conversion kits for common engines.

Big plus to propane/NG is it stores literally forever, It doesn't degrade overtime.

I am surprised by modern high speed gas "lawn mower" engines. I have heard many reports of 2 or 3000 hrs for a Honda/Briggs/Kholer and many commercial units are pushing 4 and 5000 hrs. The main thing that kills outdoor power equipment is lack of maintenance. A plus is parts are plentiful and even if you go half these hours a total overhaul will have back in business for about 100 bucks and some time. Assuming you didn't put a rod through the block or something. If the ability for rebuild(s) is important without boring the cylinder, spring for a unit with a cast iron cylinder sleeve. aluminum cylinders generally can go around once more with just a new set of rings, assuming average wear with good maintenance. Lack of oil changes/dirt ingestion will cause heavy wear and scoring and will need to bored and honed. Alot of units are using plastic cam gears (ewww i know) so that is a good part to have on hand.

But then again those hours are a drop in the bucket for mid and low speed engines.
    Last edited by Texan4Life; 04-02-2011 at 11:27 AM.