Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decentralized Social Network

Decentralized Social Network

Yada is a platform for developing encrypted peer-2-peer social network applications which eliminate SPAM and Privacy Intrusion while both preserving the existing social network experience and scaling to the next generation.

http://yadaproject.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    any one try this? Is it worth anything?

Pretty cool. Kind of reminds me of Freenet.

http://freenetproject.org/

They do need to port this to Linux though to be acceptable to the hacker community. (Right now it's just Windoze and Mac. Ok for general marketshare, but I'm not sure if it reaches their target audience).
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Pretty cool. Kind of reminds me of Freenet.

http://freenetproject.org/

They do need to port this to Linux though to be acceptable to the hacker community. (Right now it's just Windoze and Mac. Ok for general marketshare, but I'm not sure if it reaches their target audience).
    That's right! I can absolutely compile it for linux, in fact, I'll do that tonight!

The iPhone app is coming soon as well.

All I ask is that you try it out and give your feedback. I will answer any questions, I'm sure there will be many.

What makes this different than diaspora?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    What makes this different than diaspora?
    I want to say, first, that I support the ideals of diaspora and really appreciate what they've done so far.

However.

With diaspora, your social network is still hosted on a "node". Each node is still central to your network. That means you still must go somewhere and sign in with an account to get your data.

With yada, your data is stored locally and you make peer-to-peer connections to share data.

That means many things, including:
    - you can pull your contact list straight from your social network, emails, phone numbers, names, ...everything.
    - all that information is maintained by the network. If a friend changes their phone number, you will automatically have the correct new phone number in your contact list, same with email or any other number of things.
    - your email and messages can truly merge into one and you can use your social network for communication.
    - no spam
    - multiple identities for work, personal, and whatever alter ego you desire.
    Last edited by pdxwebdev; 12-09-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxwebdev View Post
    That's right! I can absolutely compile it for linux, in fact, I'll do that tonight!

The iPhone app is coming soon as well.

All I ask is that you try it out and give your feedback. I will answer any questions, I'm sure there will be many.
    You're one of the developers! Awesome! I downloaded the app but I don't have any friends to connect to at the moment. I've played around with stuff like this before, but the whole "Wikileaks" saga makes me realize I need to secure my network freedom while I still can. I'll get some other people to try this out with and let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 12-09-2010 at 06:58 PM.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    pdxwebdev,

I like the concept of what you're doing here. I'm curious if it would be possible to have a plugin that would create a either some sort of VPN, or better yet, Tor-like network that would allow people to connect to IP based services on a host like IRC, SSH, http, etc..

I haven't thought this through entirely, obviously, and I'm certainly not asking you to put it on your road map. I'm just wondering if you thought it would be possible with the current architecture of yada. How bad-ass would it be as a feature to have a sort of web-of-trust encrypted IP network that was protocol agnostic?

Again, I'm just thinking out loud here but it seems like something like this is going to be all-the-more necessary in the near future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    How bad-ass would it be as a feature to have a sort of web-of-trust encrypted IP network that was protocol agnostic?
    This is exactly what yada is. Yada is a social network where friends are joined by public keys and where private keys are used for encryption. Each public private key pair is unique to each relationship and both peers share these keys for communication between each other.

protocol agnostic? you bet!

Right now, I have the UI written in JavaScript/Mootools, the backend in Python, and all wrapped together in a standalone desktop app in Adobe AIR.

You can use TCP or UDP, hell, you could use serial if it's local and be friends/receive status updates with an embeded device/sensor. This may be more necessary with these new sensor networks they are thinking about putting in; Where your washing machine will report directly to the electric company how much power it's using. I believe that information should be kept to ones self until you decide to share it.

So yes, yada definitely has very far reaching applications, I just need developers who will help get the awesome apps/plugins off the ground.

I downloaded it. Now what do I do?
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

Quote Originally Posted by sratiug View Post
    I downloaded it. Now what do I do?
    While keeping in mind that yada is still in proof of concept stage:

-Open the application
    What happens next is a log file and a skeleton object file (object.json) are created in your user home directory.

- Now goto the 4th button from the left called Send Request. At this point, you can either:
    -Generate a request to send over email
    -copy and select everything in the text area, send it to your friend in email. Have them copy the entire text of the email fro the beginning { to the ending } and paste into Add Friend (3rd button from the left).
    -Press Enter
    -Send a request directly to a friend's IP address (this process will certainly be more user friendly ASAP). Both parties need to be online at the time with the application running (This issue is mitigated by an always on computer or mobile device).

-Press the back button and you'll see NewFriendAutoGet until your friend's computer responds. After which, it may appear blank with only a box, this is because your friend needs to change their name in Edit Profile (2nd from the left).

*PLEASE BE PATIENT*
    I will resolve all bugs and will make sure this works as desired.

Installing it now. Anyone want to be friends?

Also, are you or anyone else porting this to android any time soon. My phone is the only device I have that is always connected.

Also, are you or anyone else porting this to android any time soon. My phone is the only device I have that is always connected.
    Sent you an email or two, I think.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

Yada is a platform for developing encrypted peer-2-peer social network applications which eliminate SPAM and Privacy Intrusion while both preserving the existing social network experience and scaling to the next generation.

http://yadaproject.com
    I'd still not post anything sensitive to any network site or through the net. If "they" want it, NSA will bust it promptly.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

"Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

Pray for reset.

BRING BACK THE BANANA! OF THIS MESSAGE I AM APPROVE.

Quote Originally Posted by sratiug View Post
    Sent you an email or two, I think.
    When I try to add a friend via the info you sent me I'm not getting any button that allows me to submit the data. I updated my profile somewhat.

What fields are required in the profile?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When I try to add a friend via the info you sent me I'm not getting any button that allows me to submit the data. I updated my profile somewhat.

I don't know. When I edit my profile the edits don't seem to be saved after I leave that page cause it's all blank when I come back to it.

This seems cool and very promising.

Just emailed you my info.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post

I'm having trouble getting people added at the moment. I'll et you know when I figure it out.

Update

I have read your bug reports and have made corrections to yada. Please download the latest version from http://yadaproject.com/download/

Improvements include:
    -added save button to profile, (before, you had to press enter in each field after editing)
    -removed the confusing top friends stuff
    -Updated back button on nav.
    -Filtered out some expert level fields containing static meta-data.
    -Update for more reliable connectivity
    -Changed button in share panel

On the mac version, I accidentally left an alert box on for debugging when you click the save button to show how many fields you edited. Just ignore that for now.

Thank you for the feedback, it's priceless!!
    Last edited by pdxwebdev; 12-13-2010 at 12:59 PM.

I downloaded the new version and e-mailed you another request if you'd like to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post

I emailed you a friend request.

I haven't had time to try out the updated version. I'll try and get it working tonight. I'm not sure how this works with NAT though. I'm doubly NATted at the house right now so I'm fairly certain any incoming friend communication won't make it through.

I haven't had time to try out the updated version. I'll try and get it working tonight. I'm not sure how this works with NAT though. I'm doubly NATted at the house right now so I'm fairly certain any incoming friend communication won't make it through.
    You can ensure connection by forwarding the port range 42000 to 42009 to the given computer.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was able to add a friend! Yay! I sent her a message and then.... I found out what the X does beside the friend name. Maybe there should be an "Are you sure you want to delete your only $#@!ing friend in the whole world?" popup?

sratiug

I was able to add a friend! Yay! I sent her a message and then.... I found out what the X does beside the friend name. Maybe there should be an "Are you sure you want to delete your only $#@!ing friend in the whole world?" popup?
    UPDATE: I'm filming a small commercial/presentation tomorrow for this product. The iPhone app works but it is going to take alot more work to get this off the ground.

With a video, proof of concept/prototype, and some other presentation materials ready, I'll be seeking funding very shortly.

Problem: I can't do this all myself with a full time job.
    Solution: Secure funding and make this my full time job.

I thank everyone for their participation and expression of interest in this idea, gives me alot of faith.
    Last edited by pdxwebdev; 01-21-2011 at 01:37 PM.

hmm, the commercial was pretty featureless (besides the really hot chick)..I saw a twitter feed and a friends list...I know there is more to the concept than this, especially it being P2P, I think you need to really emphasize how these connections are happening and how that translates into something people are going to want.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

eOs

hmm, the commercial was pretty featureless (besides the really hot chick)..I saw a twitter feed and a friends list...I know there is more to the concept than this, especially it being P2P, I think you need to really emphasize how these connections are happening and how that translates into something people are going to want.
    That's a fair statement, what features do you feel are most important to be emphasized?

That's a fair statement, what features do you feel are most important to be emphasized?
    Hey. I just watched the commercial. Good start. So this software allows realtime, secure file collaboration? If so I can think of a ton of applications for this, especially as the campaign season heats up. For instance voter call lists could be stored here. And you only invite the people into your network that you trust. Or collaboration on new political fliers. I saw a map feature. Maybe this could be used for real time tracking of door to door operations? I've posted a link to this thread and to this video on the thread about the "BetterWay.com" grassroots organizing website that might be the "Meetup.com" of 2012.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-of-Organizing

They let you collaborate free publicly there, but charge monthly for private collaboration. Your product could possibly be used to fill that void without having to shell out cash.

Also please consider doing some screencasts of yourself using the project. Here's one for Microsoft Groove, an older product that seems to do some of the same stuff your product does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast