Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Should i join the military?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Truth is , the violence may effect people differently and you really are not going to be able to predict how it may effect yourself or others .
    The mental part, sure. But paralysis from the waist down/being relieved of a few of your limbs, etc...your state of mind can help you cope, but you're still handicapped and might have to hire someone to wipe your ass for the rest of your life.

I suppose some people might like that though......
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Of course, but he asked our opinion. Saying "it's up to you" isn't giving him an opinion. It is refusing his request.

He is talking about the SEALS. I'm not an expert but I am thinking that SEALS generally end up shooting people.
    Basically if you are a Marine rifleman , Army Combat Arms ( Armor , Infantry , Artillary Forward Observer etc . , any type of Special Ops ( Ranger , Special Forces , Recon Marine , SEAL ) , if you serve a few years , you will be involved somewhere , sometime actually performing your job . This is a given . Each individual is in control of that . If you are skeptical about that , make sure to enlist in a different job . There are mechanics , x ray tech's , etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    The mental part, sure. But paralysis from the waist down/being relieved of a few of your limbs, etc...your state of mind can help you cope, but you're still handicapped and might have to hire someone to wipe your ass for the rest of your life.

I suppose some people might like that though......
    You are correct , being maimed , losing multiple limbs etc being the worst . This is also a serious risk to pre assess . This is true in about any type of enemy you may have to face . Guerrila warfare , booby traps , roadside bombs , RPG's , mortars , grenades . Conventional warfare enemy , artillary , mines , grenades , mortars , RPG's , tanks etc .
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-03-2010 at 03:21 PM.

I was in during the 80's , never had a civilian throw anything at me . I should be grateful . When that happened were you in Europe or on one of the Coasts ?
    The only time I had anything thrown at me , was a large rock , in the head , by an Armor Co CO at the railhead in Baumholder.

Ron Paul

Ever wonder what makes Ron Paul the man he is? A man that can calmly stand up in the middle of a firestorm of hatred for Assange and support him? A man who can speak the truth without flinching? EVER? A man who can be surrounded by idiots, scoundrels and demons for decades, watching them destroy the things he most cherishes and STILL behave as a gentleman and speak cordially to the worst of them?

Want to know where I think he gets that kind of courage?

Love.

Love for his country. Love for liberty. Love for his fellow man. Love for his family. Love for his God.

He gets his courage from love. Not from being a badass killer.

You can choose where you want to put your energy in life. And your life and your character will be shaped accordingly. My advice - learn to do something constructive. Learn to make the lives of those around you better. Fill your heart with love, not violence. You will have a happier life.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by bkreigh View Post
    The decision is up to man. Sometimes is get the feeling that a lot of folks in here think everybody in the military goes abroad and kills folks for sport. I just passed my 9 year mark and i have fired a weapon only once and that was in basic training.

Its simple. Do you research on all 5 branches. Within those 5 branches research the different rates and what they do. In my 9 years i have been going home pretty much every night and sleeping in my own bed with the exception of the recent BP spill and training course out of the area.

Now do i enjoy my job all the time? Heck no. I dont know anybody that does. But also dont lose any sleep over the missions i do. Furthermore, i have fun talking politics with folks in the office.

Do your due dilligence and make your own decision. I didnt really do much any reasearch and just joined. I am thankful i the cards lined up for me though. I think it was just dumb luck but that doesnt mean your decision has to be luck though. All i can say is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!!!!!!
    All true , I was young , looked over all jobs and took the one I thought would be the most exciting ( dangerous ) . Not too smart on my part .

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All true , I was young , looked over all jobs and took the one I thought would be the most exciting ( dangerous ) . Not too smart on my part .
    My Dad ( Korean war vet ) tried to talk me out of it . Think I listened ?

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Bad advice. Your will go to war in the national guard. I know too well
    Yes .

I seem to recall that the Good Doctor specifically requested that Amy Allen perform this song at the Rally. So I think we can deduce that Ron Paul hopes that the people will help to end our aggressive foreign policy by refusing to participate.
    Yep. He said that when he was younger he was a universal soldier. He marched off to war in Vietnam and never resisted. He spoke of it with great remorse, and tried to warn others not the become the universal soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Yep. He said that when he was younger he was a universal soldier. He marched off to war in Vietnam and never resisted. He spoke of it with great remorse, and tried to warn others not the become the universal soldier.
    Lyrics:

He's five foot two and he's six feet four
    He fights with missiles and with spears
    He's all of thirty-one and he's only seventeen
    Been a soldier for a thousand years

He's a Catholic, a Hindu, an Atheist, a Jain
    A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew
    And he knows he shouldn't kill and he knows he always will
    Kill you for me my friend and me for you

And he's fighting for Canada
    He's fighting for France, he's fighting for the U.S.A.
    And he's fighting for the Russians
    And he's fighting for Japan
    And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way

And he's fighting for Democracy, he's fighting for the Reds
    He says "It's for the peace of all"
    He's the one who must decide, who's to live and who's to die
    And he never sees the writing on the wall

But without him
    How would Hitler have condemned him at Labau?
    Without him Caesar would have stood alone
    He's the one who gives his body as a weapon of the war
    And without him all this killing can't go on

He's the Universal Soldier and he really is to blame
    His orders come from far away no more
    They come from here and there and you and me
    And brothers can't you see
    This is not the way we put the end to war
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Nice vid right there ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

life is not payable; never ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by warcolour View Post
    life is not payable; never ever!!!
    Welcome to the board .

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My Dad ( Korean war vet ) tried to talk me out of it . Think I listened ?
    Or, maybe you already knew that only the dead have seen the end of war.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Or, maybe you already knew that only the dead have seen the end of war.
    Yes, only when human consciousness changes will we see an end to war and I don't expect to live to see that day. But we can dramatically reduce the amount of war Americans see by letting go of our pathologically arrogant belief that we are somehow authorized and qualified to police the world, attacking countries that don't behave the way we think they should. Like North Korea. Right Pericles?
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Of course, but he asked our opinion. Saying "it's up to you" isn't giving him an opinion. It is refusing his request.
    If you read the rest of my post i gave him my opinion. In the end its up to him and him only.

He is talking about the SEALS. I'm not an expert but I am thinking that SEALS generally end up shooting people.[/QUOTE]

I understand he was thinking about joining the SEALS and i understand what they do. Instead of telling him "hell no" or whatever else why not give him some other options inside the military?

If your goal in life is to die in war, and/or be maimed for life...

Then Yes.

Otherwise...

F**** NO!!!

Yes, only when human consciousness changes will we see an end to war and I don't expect to live to see that day. But we can dramatically reduce the amount of war Americans see by letting go of our pathologically arrogant belief that we are somehow authorized and qualified to police the world, attacking countries that don't behave the way we think they should. Like North Korea. Right Pericles?
    We will not attack North Korea that I could imagine .

North Korea

We will not attack North Korea that I could imagine .
    It would be a horrible mistake, but, nonetheless, is supported by Pericles.

It would be a horrible mistake, but, nonetheless, is supported by Pericles.
    Once again, I have never advocated any attack on N. Korea, and my position is that as long as we have a treaty to defend S. Korea, we honor the treaty and respond to an attack on S. Korea as required by the treaty.

Is the treaty a good idea under present circumstances? Only to the extent we prevent S. Korea from being able to develop nukes in order to maintain the balance of power is my opinion..
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Sorry

Once again, I have never advocated any attack on N. Korea, and my position is that as long as we have a treaty to defend S. Korea, we honor the treaty and respond to an attack on S. Korea as required by the treaty.

Is the treaty a good idea under present circumstances? Only to the extent we prevent S. Korea from being able to develop nukes in order to maintain the balance of power is my opinion..
    My apologies.

Let's be clear, you advocate defending South Korea against North Korea using military force as needed.

And you support the existing treaty to defend South Korea as a way of balancing power.

So you believe the US should intervene in the affairs of foreign nations that are no threat to us in order to maintain YOUR view of the proper balance of power on the other side of the planet. Correct?

I think you also believe in the use of covert means - spying, assassination, and other such skullduggery - to help mold the world. Am I correct?

So it is essential for your interventionist foreign policy that you have a continuous supply of people like the OP to help force the world to behave the way you think they should, correct?
    Last edited by Acala; 12-06-2010 at 02:13 PM.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My apologies.

Let's be clear, you advocate defending South Korea against North Korea using military force as needed.

And you support the existing treaty to defend South Korea as a way of balancing power.

So you believe the US should intervene in the affairs of foreign nations that are no threat to us in order to maintain YOUR view of the proper balance of power on the other side of the planet. Correct?

I think you also believe in the use of covert means - spying, assassination, and other such skullduggery - to help mold the world. Am I correct?

So it is essential for your interventionist foreign policy that you have a continuous supply of people like the OP to help force the world to behave the way you think they should, correct?
    George Washington's advice to avoid foreign entanglements was good advice and I wish that advice was followed. It has not, and the US has entered into military alliances with other countries (NATO, SEATO, S. Korea, and ROC). There has not been the claim made that such treaties have not been ratified by the Senate or are incompatible with the Constitution of the United States.

Thus, I obey those provisions as the supreme law of the land, having sworn to support and defend the Constitution and bear true faith and allegiance to the the same.

It must be that I have lived in Europe too long, and no longer am able to communicate in comprehensible English.

?

George Washington's advice to avoid foreign entanglements was good advice and I wish that advice was followed. It has not, and the US has entered into military alliances with other countries (NATO, SEATO, S. Korea, and ROC). There has not been the claim made that such treaties have not been ratified by the Senate or are incompatible with the Constitution of the United States.

Thus, I obey those provisions as the supreme law of the land, having sworn to support and defend the Constitution and bear true faith and allegiance to the the same.

It must be that I have lived in Europe too long, and no longer am able to communicate in comprehensible English.
    First of all, treaties can be refudiated (hehe) with the stroke of the President's pen. There ends ALL the treaties that supposedly support the world empire, including our half-century stay in Korea.

Did you think that once you enter a treaty you can NEVER get out of it? Did you think that we are FOREVER bound to the world empire?

Besides, you said that the treaty with South Korea is good "to the extent we prevent S. Korea from being able to develop nukes in order to maintain the balance of power is my opinion.. " which is a convoluted way of saying that you support our intervention in Korea as a matter of manipulating the affairs of foreign nations.

But let's cut to the chase here: do you support ending all foreign entanglements immediately and bringing all our troops home?

Do you support ending all of our covert attempts to interfere with the business of other nations and people?
    Last edited by Acala; 12-06-2010 at 02:57 PM.

So

Just wondering, when the US signs the small arms control treaty, are you going to help them go house to house collecting guns?

Just wondering, when the US signs the small arms control treaty, are you going to help them go house to house collecting guns?
    Incompatible with the Constitution - not a valid treaty.

Can the President refudiate (sic) [maybe you mean repudiate] the Constitution with the stroke of a pen as well?

Unlike the ACLU, I support the whole Constitution - not just the parts I like.

Enough of the if you don't agree with me on X, then you must believe Y argument - I have more respect for you than that. It would be like me accusing you of being opposed to the Constitution based on you statements in this thread, which even if true, are for you to so state, not for me to automatically assume.

Incompatible with the Constitution - not a valid treaty..
    Where in the Constitution is the President granted power to police the world?

Can the President refudiate (sic) [maybe you mean repudiate] the Constitution with the stroke of a pen as well?..
    Of course not. (Refudiate is a Sarah Palin joke) But treaties with foreign nations are not the Constitution. They are temporary alliances. They come and go with the changing tides. They are certainly not permanent, binding obligations.

Enough of the if you don't agree with me on X, then you must believe Y argument - I have more respect for you than that. It would be like me accusing you of being opposed to the Constitution based on you statements in this thread, which even if true, are for you to so state, not for me to automatically assume.
    Then come out with it. You make coy comments and oblique references and then disappear when it comes time to make youself clear.

So answer the question: is it a proper function of the US government to use the military to EVER intervene in the affairs of nations that are no immediate threat to us?

Should the US government withdraw from all entangling alliances?

I believe you support an interventionist foreign policy. If you don't, say it straight out and I will apologize.

Where in the Constitution is the President granted power to police the world?

Of course not. (Refudiate is a Sarah Palin joke) But treaties with foreign nations are not the Constitution. They are temporary alliances. They come and go with the changing tides. They are certainly not permanent, binding obligations.

Then come out with it. You make coy comments and oblique references and then disappear when it comes time to make youself clear.

So answer the question: is it a proper function of the US government to use the military to EVER intervene in the affairs of nations that are no immediate threat to us?

Should the US government withdraw from all entangling alliances?

I believe you support an interventionist foreign policy. If you don't, say it straight out and I will apologize.
    You are obviously an interventionist because you want to extend the Constitutional rights of US citizens to everyone else in the world which can only be done via the US government extending it to the rest of the world.

See how easy it is to make the accusation?

lol

You are obviously an interventionist because you want to extend the Constitutional rights of US citizens to everyone else in the world which can only be done via the US government extending it to the rest of the world.

See how easy it is to make the accusation?
    Hahahaha! And again you avoid answering a straight question.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I'm asking you a question. Here is the question, yet again - do you support the US government using military force to intervene in the affairs of other nations that are no immediate threat to this country?

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast