Thread: Report: N.Korea deploys torpedo-carrying midget

Report: N.Korea deploys torpedo-carrying midget

... subs.

"SEOUL — North Korea has developed a new type of midget submarine fitted with torpedo launch tubes, allowing it to attack South Korea warships more easily, a report said Tuesday.

Satellite images of a naval base in the North's southwestern city of Nampo, published by JoongAng Ilbo newspaper, show what appears to be a 17-metre-long (56-feet) submarine with a tube-like structure attached to its top.

"We have concluded that it is a torpedo launch tube," the paper quoted an unidentified Seoul intelligence source as saying."

More @ http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...bd3707651b.341

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

They've had the subs for quite a while. They used them to sneak up to the northern parts of Japan and abduct japanese citizens. I heard they used "mini-subs" for that. Missle-firing capability may be new, though.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/7329281.html

The US will definitely back South Korea if there's a war.
    As if we aren't already in enough wars.
    What will the military do? Finally send our troops home from Iraq and send them to Korea the next day? And where would the money come from to fund another war?
    Last edited by CaliforniaMom; 12-08-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaMom View Post
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/7329281.html

The US will definitely back South Korea if there's a war.
    As if we aren't already in enough wars.
    What will the military do? Finally send our troops home from Iraq and send them to Korea the next day? And where would the money come from to fund another war?
    It would be a bloodbath . Not sure that it would cost much than alot of lives . We have 29,000 military people there ( mostly Army ) and South Korea has 600,000 and besides moving in a carrier group , I would guess this is what would fight the 1.1 million North Korean Army with for the most part . North Korea would not attack as far as I can tell . We also have thousands of American civilians living there . Maybe the South Koreans should allow them to form a Militia to be used in case of attack.

N.Korea deploys torpedo-carrying midget
    Had me going there for a minute. All I could think of was a torpedo with a midget inside. Poor little guy would either suffocate or die when it hit the side of a ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Had me going there for a minute. All I could think of was a torpedo with a midget inside. Poor little guy would either suffocate or die when it hit the side of a ship.
    They have those too , they have been malnourished so long they are shorter now than before .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They have those too , they have been malnourished so long they are shorter now than before .
    Talk about an antiquated targeting system.

Talk about an antiquated targeting system.
    Is that a model of one of those mini Japanese ww2 SUBS ?

I dunno, you'll have to ask Bruno about that.

I dunno, you'll have to ask Bruno about that.
    It was the best I could do on "short" notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    It was the best I could do on "short" notice.
    ROFL... good one Bruno.

It looks like a WW2 German midget sub the Neger, basically a manned torpedo....

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmari...ger/index.html

I believe they prefer to be called little people.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackterrel View Post
    i believe they prefer to be called little people.
    lol :d

The South did this during the Civil War. technically it was a sub that attached explosives to a ship, but it was pretty much impossible to get far enough away from the ship before it blew to not die, so it was a guaranteed suicide mission. The first subamrine warfare in the world, afaik, was performed by the confederate navy.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Did anyone else just have a mental image of a very, very small man carrying a torpedo and running at the enemy?
    This empire, unlike any other in the history of the world, has been built primarily through economic manipulation, through cheating, through fraud, through seducing people into our way of life, through the economic hit men. I was very much a part of that.

-- John Perkins

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

--Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdallr View Post
    Did anyone else just have a mental image of a very, very small man carrying a torpedo and running at the enemy?
    Start reading from post #6.

Of course it deals with a torpedo carrying a very small person.