Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm Switching to Linux...

So I'm Switching to Linux...

Can anyone give me some suggestions for which distribution I should get?

Here is some basic info about what I want to do with my computer. I'll be using it to:

- Number crunch (Matlab, Mathematica, Maple, etc)
    - Write office documents, spreadsheets, powerpoints, etc (Open Office I'm assuming)
    - Surf the web, email, forums, etc
    - Organize music and movies

Aside from those things, not so much more. I don't play any games at all (except for tetris, but that's online). I also don't want programs that I won't be using, but I know I'll need some things that I might not think of.

Right now people are telling me to get Ubuntu. What do you guys all think? I'm a linux noob pretty much, also.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ubuntu is what I'd use. While I love Ubuntu, I use Vista, because I'm lazy. No, I don't have all sorts of virus problems and I don't spend hours with virus software. The only virus software I use is Microsoft's security essencials, anyways just my 2 cents.
    " Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle

Ubuntu is very popular, Due to marketing mostly.
    I have never been fond of it, but that is one of the great things about Linux..Choices.
    There are many, and I have played with several.

I like and have been using PCLinusOS since 2004. Nice Distro, User friendly, a friendly support forum.
    Several set-ups. (desktop managers) KDE, Gnome, Elightenment, Xfce, etc.
    It comes full featured or in a striped down version that you can add to yourself.
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php

My first was Slackware, Solid system, but less newbie friendly.
    There are free systems and Purchase systems (Novel, Red Hat, Mandrake, Xandros)

Though different than windows, they are not really and more difficult. Just a short learning curve.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

ubuntu is the only one ive tried, the installation disc allows you to preview it before you install it which is pretty awesome although slow. i went through $#@!ing hell installing my printer on it, (im not computer savvy but i managed with instructions from forums) might be something you want to look into first

Oh yeah, By the way,

I am no uber geek. Not a programmer. Not even formally educated.
    I bought my first computer in 2003, in my mid 40s. It took windows about 6 months to piss me off, and about 6 months to find a solution and learn to use it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I agree ubuntu is the easiest to set up, and comes with pretty much everything.

I've had stability and bug issues every time I've had to put Ubuntu on a PC. Windows freeze, hard reboots, problems installing software. For in-a-pinch solutions, I've found Linux Mint to be much easier to use, visually appealing, stable, and it comes with some restricted codecs already installed.

Many linux distros, such as Arch Linux, are still relatively complicated to install and use, though when you've completed your build, you have something almost entirely tailored to your preferences. Unless you're looking for a hobby, I'd stick to the primary ubuntu-based flavors.

Linux offers drastically less compatible software (don't expect much out of WINE), generally less efficient use of resources (good luck finding decent drivers), less stability (depending on the distro - but I've never experienced a significant OS-caused error since Windows 98), and requires significantly more time investment than Windows. However, it's free, does offer some software only available on Linux, can be a fun learning experience (I suggest installing a variety of linux distros. Consider running them virtually!), and is generally not targeted by authors of viruses.

If you're really hell-bent on dumping Windows, have you considered a Ma-aaahech.... ugh - tough to say.

ubuntu was very buggy, my computer kept restarting its self while i was browsing the web when i first installed it but seemed to be okay after i installed the updates

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    However, it's free, does offer some software only available on Linux.
    Do you know some examples? Can they be run with something like an emulator without installing Linux?

Have you considered dual booting? I dual boot every computer (girlfriend, brother, parents) with Linux. For some I use Linux as a backup in case for when Windows gets a virus and on mine I use Linux as the primary OS. While I'll love Ubuntu and generally always use it for it's safety and stability, I still keep Windows 7 dual booted for certain things Linux cannot handle yet (itunes for example). It's very convenient to dual boot, it's very simple and takes up very little space (10gb). The installer on the Ubuntu live cd will walk you through it. If you do dual boot, make sure to install Windows first to be able to use the GRUB boot loader. Otherwise, windows will hide grub in place of its own boot loader.

As for the distro, that's really preference but being a first time user I'd go with the latest release of Ubuntu or Linux Mint. After you're familiar with Linux, you can venture into the others distros but for now those have very good support and very easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Do you know some examples? Can they be run with something like an emulator without installing Linux?
    Windows can't run anything made for UNIX OSes. I read about Cygwin every now and then as a UNIX emulator which runs on Windows, but I'm not familiar with it. I use VMware when I want to run another operating system, which is not only really cool in its novelty, but is also very useful when I want to try out operating systems, whether hacked Mac versions, old Windows OSes for compatibility, or linux distros.

As far as linux-only software, there isn't anything essential I can think of - mostly just "fun" apps, because anything serious is made (ported, at least) for Windows. There is an iTunes-like program called Amarok I like, and a host of media players. But, these media players aren't nearly as useful as MPC w/K-Lite or the VLC media player. There's also a popular program called MythTV which is a substitute for Windows Media Center.

I use Ubuntu. They seem to have overcome some of the problems with the earlier distros. It installs easily and seems to find everything OK.

In the past I've user RedHat (Fedora), CentOS, Lindows and SlackWare. Don't know if Lindows is still around, but any of then, beside SlackWare, are pretty easy to set up, but I'd say Ubuntu is the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by inibo View Post
    I use Ubuntu. They seem to have overcome some of the problems with the earlier distros. It installs easily and seems to find everything OK.

In the past I've user RedHat (Fedora), CentOS, Lindows and SlackWare. Don't know if Lindows is still around, but any of then, beside SlackWare, are pretty easy to set up, but I'd say Ubuntu is the easiest.
    Lindows now goes by Linspire, I believe. They were bought out a couple years ago and now only sell the OS to corporate buyers like people who make ultra-cheap PCs for Walmart.

Ubuntu. Has always been good for me and it has the most free support by far.

I have been told that FreeBSD is the absolute best. Never tried it. I may someday. That's the one Apple destroyed coming up with OS-X.

I've been using PCLinuxOS since 2004 (p8.1a), presently (2010 ) and have never regretted it.
    No Malware
    No Virus
    No Trojans
    No defrag
    No endless scans
    No Headaches.

Yes, I am a happy Linux user.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCLinuxOS

Oh yeah, It's free.
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks to the OP I finally made the switch on my desktop PC. I've used various flavors of Linux for servers and in VMs. I never used the GUI much so it will take some getting used to. I may end up putting it on the rest of my PCs if I can get my kids games to work under Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    I may end up putting it on the rest of my PCs if I can get my kids games to work under Wine.
    I have had success with some, ZUMA and some others. Some I could not run. I know folks that run WarCraft on Linux. I think my problem is lack of resources, Video and RAM. Both are less than optimum.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I have been told that FreeBSD is the absolute best. Never tried it. I may someday. That's the one Apple destroyed coming up with OS-X.
    That's why when I go full POSIX it'll be OpenDarwin with enlightenment. At the end of the day it will have the most opened standards.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I have had success with some, ZUMA and some others. Some I could not run. I know folks that run WarCraft on Linux. I think my problem is lack of resources, Video and RAM. Both are less than optimum.
    My kids are both 4 and under. The games they play are pretty $#@!ty anyways. I can probably get by with installing the Edubuntu pre-school and primary school bundles. It's probably better than the games they have now.

I've been trying to get the games to play under wine as well as Virtual Box. The problem is that I'm sick of having to change the CDs in and out every time they want a different game. I tried ripping .isos with dd but the copy protection is kicking my ass.

My kids are both 4 and under. The games they play are pretty $#@!ty anyways. I can probably get by with installing the Edubuntu pre-school and primary school bundles. It's probably better than the games they have now.

I've been trying to get the games to play under wine as well as Virtual Box. The problem is that I'm sick of having to change the CDs in and out every time they want a different game. I tried ripping .isos with dd but the copy protection is kicking my ass.
    if you don't find a software solution... is having multiple CD players a potential hardware solution?

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    if you don't find a software solution... is having multiple CD players a potential hardware solution?
    Not really. It wouldn't be a big deal if it were just a couple of games but they have 6 of these stupid things. I'm tempted to just install Ubuntu with the educational packages and tell them that the old games don't work anymore. Copy protection really pisses me off when I legally own a copy of the game and can't do what I want with it. The games don't even work without the special goofy keyboard with the different overlays for each game. The games are retarded and I'm sure they aren't making my kids any smarter. Maybe I'll light them on fire.

With Zuma, I just copied the disk to a file. Wine ran it from there. Installed and even gave me the desktop Icon to launch.( My wife loves the game.) Some others I just launch from their file.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Copy protection really pisses me off when I legally own a copy of the game and can't do what I want with it.
    Worth noting, you probably don't "own" a copy of the game. You have a license to use it according to preset terms and conditions.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've installed Ubuntu on two laptops with great success... I love it..

Only problem is netflix, if you want to stream it you will have to install windows on a virtual drive or figure something else out.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-27-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I've installed Ubuntu on two laptops with great success... I love it..

Only problem is netflix, if you want to stream it you will have to install windows on a virtual drive or figure something else out.
    Torrent? (shhhh)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, too.

Ubuntu is Debian + Gnome with some custom modified polish using bleeding edge repositories whereas Debian has a solid reputation of being a very stable build and a widely used distro. The hands down worst part of linux is sound across a wide variety of apps and games. Sound in linux is not like windows where it always works in every app. Unfortunately Ubuntu is presently using the controversial PulseAudio. The sound card and video card usually determine whether or not it's Linux bliss or Linux hell. Since games are omitted from your criteria list the video card won't be an issue however if you plan on using things like Skype or other 3rd party software that requires sound or a microphone I would highly suggest posting in the Ubuntu forum for sound card suggestions that are known to work well with PulseAudio + ALSA + the sound apps you intend to use.

Linux Distro Timeline

Tracks the development and pedigree of various distros.

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Always nice to see Slackware still going. It will always be my first love.

Always nice to see Slackware still going. It will always be my first love.
    no way slackware dies, they have been minimalists since day 1. There will always be embedded computing too.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast