Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New radio ad's terrible. Much better ideas herein.

New radio ad's terrible. Much better ideas herein.

Howdy. First post. Be gentle.

So I went ahead and listened to the radio ad we all just paid $434k for, and I was shocked -- it's terrible. In fact, I don't think the ad could be worse and still have been produced by the campaign. If this is what the campaign is producing with our money, then Ron Paul is most definitely right in saying that we are the reason for his success rather than he or his campaign.

For Ron Paul to win over voters, two things need to happen.

• Voters must be convinced that Ron Paul isn't some weird "other" candidate.
    • Voters need to actually hear "the message" Ron Paul always talks about when asked why his campaign is growing so quickly.

The current ad does neither.

Ron Paul is right -- "the message" is great, and it's what won me over. But the radio ad on the front page of ronpaul2008.com doesn't relate the message in any way, shape or form!!

The solution?

GET SOMEBODY TO READ THE GOD DAMN BOILERPLATE TEXT (Ron Paul has never voted to increase taxes...etc) ON THE AIR. JESUS CHRIST. THIS IS SO OBVIOUS.

Honestly.

Just get somebody to read it. Verbatim.

Another idea might be to take this and combine it with something similar to Apple's Switch campaign, and do a simple read (e.g. not some over-the-top "radio voice") like...

"My name is XYZ, and I want to quickly tell you about how I decided to vote for Ron Paul. Ron Paul has never voted to raise taxes, has never voted for an unbalanced budget or for federal restrictions on gun ownership, has never voted to increase congressional pay..."

Right up to the very end of the boilerplate.

The blowback tirade got me online to look for Ron Paul's site, but the boilerplate text is what converted me. NOBODY can stand up to that record. Let's get it out there. It's the only thing people need to see.

And while we're at it, the "R3VOLUTION" banners are retarded. The boilerplate will win us the election. "R3VOLUTION" only serves to decrease the campaign's credibility -- the word revolution, even with love in there, pushes us to the fringe. The average American sees revolution and thinks we're a bunch of nuts. We need to stop using that damn word and come up with something more palatable.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Since you said first post I'll be gentle.

I have no idea wtf you just said.

I don't think its awful, as it separates him from the bloodsucking lawyers and millionaires. But you're right, it doesn't give us the impression that he is the honest and knowledgeable man we know him to be. The Constitution line is little better than Kucinich's.

Quote Originally Posted by mkrfctr View Post

Then put on your thinking cap, he makes some valid points.

I dont think it is terrible as much as... below potential.
    "This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children." -Dwight D. Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Talking

Yeah.... Take a rough, wooden stake, and drive it through your heart!

Then come back and let us know what you think....

(I'm being [largely] sarcastic....)
    Amendment I.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think you've got some good points - the ad could be better but I think we've got to take the intended audience into account.

I believe it's aimed at a different crowd (middle-aged folks) than those who would typically be attracted to Ron Paul. It would be interesting to hear what kind of stations that intend to play it on.

the ad on the flash is not the final ad, that is what puzzles me, they have an MP3 on the site of the ad.....
    No one reads signatures.

If that's the case, then I can only conclude you didn't read my post.

Bottom line: the radio ad posted to the front page of ronpaul2008.com is horrible and will not win over any voters. It doesn't relate any of the things that make Ron Paul a great fit for the oval office.

Proposed solution: new radio ad consisting of Ron Paul's boilerplate text
    Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

He has never voted to raise taxes.
    He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
    He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
    He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
    He has never taken a government-paid junket.
    He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
    He voted against regulating the Internet.
    He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
    He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.
    THAT should be in the radio ad. THAT should be on all of our signs. THAT is what will win people over.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I actually like the ad. It speaks to one of the top most issues in America right now. I try to call him Dr. Paul as much as I can to get the healthcare message across. This one goes straight to the point. I'm guessing that they probably did some research to see what people in NH are interested in hearing the most about. I would think that people looking for anwers on healthcare, and find out that Dr. Paul has a solution will check out the site and find "the message" themselves.

I heard Rand Paul the other day say that he would like the campaign run an ad with military personal doing the voice overs. They could talk about how much they support Ron and his foreign policy ideas and that would be a pretty compelling way to convince people that he's dead-on regarding the Iraq issue - probably his biggest turnoff to folks who don't like him.

Gentle is as gentle does.

Welcome, I also think his voting record says it all but what is the intent of the ad? If it is to create name recognition and leave people with with a good feeling toward Ron Paul I think that it does a good job. The most powerful ad I have found is me talking face to face with someone and leaving them with a slim jim and my own RP "testimonial". Too bad the radio isn't able to do the same. I guess we'll just build on what they do. Maybe that's their hope anyway.

The intro ad isn't bad, as a way to introduce Ron Paul to mainstream voters, and make them question why their favorite Fox News anchors have been smearing him.

The "Real Republican" radio ad was a little harder hitting, but they definitely need something a little more memorable.

Enthusiastic supporters saying why they support him is a great idea.

So is just having Ron Paul talk, about freedom and liberty. Just play a minute or two from his first big speech in Kansas City back in June.

And they should stop trying to soft pedal his opposition to the war. Yes, that is what he's best known for, but 70% of the voters still don't know about him. Don't hold back on his number one differentiating factor.
    Rand Paul is in the top 1% of US Senators.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron LOL View Post
    Proposed solution: new radio ad consisting of Ron Paul's boilerplate text

THAT should be in the radio ad. THAT should be on all of our signs. THAT is what will win people over.
    I think that is a great idea. I think you should do it.

Write the script, produce the ad, raise the money (it's not THAT hard to start a PAC), get rate cards from the local stations and get it on the air.

JM

David,
    I think that could be incredible, I hope it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jgmaynard View Post
    I think that is a great idea. I think you should do it.

Write the script, produce the ad, raise the money (it's not THAT hard to start a PAC), get rate cards from the local stations and get it on the air.

JM
    I actually started on the first two this afternoon (which is what prompted my post) but lost steam when I realized I didn't know where to go next. One of my friends is a Cubase nerd (well, Logic these days, I think) and does production type stuff for local bands on the weekends, so he could probably find me cheap time in a booth.

Edit: oh, also, I'm working on some new signs in InDesign. I hope to finish in the next couple of days...will upload PDFs as soon as they're done.

Sweet! Another dude with an inflated opinion of his own political instinct. You got here just in the nick of time. The last few months we've all been hanging out on this forum trying to figure out how to out think this damn campaign and save them from themselves. They really are a bunch of rubes. Now that we've got you here.....if you could just stand over here.... Yeah, right next to these other couple of hundred dudes that all have it figured out.... Uuhhh yep... The group of dudes all staring at the other dudes like they are a bunch of dolts, those guys. We're going to get a nice group photo before we put you all in a room together where you wunderkind can save the campaign. Your boilerplate idea is going to put us over the top, so simple we've missed it all this time. Thanks dude. Good looking out.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
    Sweet! Another dude with an inflated opinion of his own political instinct. You got here just in the nick of time. The last few months we've all been hanging out on this forum trying to figure out how to out think this damn campaign and save them from themselves. They really are a bunch of rubes. Now that we've got you here.....if you could just stand over here.... Yeah, right next to these other couple of hundred dudes that all have it figured out.... Uuhhh yep... The group of dudes all staring at the other dudes like they are a bunch of dolts, those guys. We're going to get a nice group photo before we put you all in a room together where you wunderkind can save the campaign. Your boilerplate idea is going to put us over the top, so simple we've missed it all this time. Thanks dude. Good looking out.
    Cute, but go ahead and try to make an argument in favor of the ad posted to the front page. I think you might find it a tad difficult.

well, I think the list of "never have's" is a good thing, but you have to understand that 30 seconds is the desired radio ad, else most people tune out.... Now, if things were as easy as just saying the obvious and the truth - the idea of marketing would never even be an issue...

The idea is to sell. To bring thought and emotion.. if you are gonna read a boiler plate, you first have to have people "listen", and if you are just reading off points I am not sure that will happen. I think people will tune out.

If you listen to Ron Paul's ad, hear it as a story... there "is" a story line and there are cadences and such.. the boiler plate ad is not like that... you "could" read it in dramatic or purposeful manner, but I believe you would go over 60 seconds....

Also, you have to leave about 3-4 seconds for disclaimer and another 5 seconds for a lead in... so, the amount of time you have is very minimal..

BUT, I believe reading the boilerplate is good - just not "all" of it... because you have to wrap that within a leadin - and leadout.

There are a lot of nutjobs on here with stupid ideas but I think his are good. I'm looking forward to seeing the signs.

One reason the campaign might be shying away from the boiler plate is that Ron Paul's views are fairly unique. What I mean is that his views are not what one typically thinks of when they think about a republican/conservative. (I know that he's a true conservative, but the neo-cons have hijacked the term).

Anyway, the campaign might be hesitant to run an ad like that since you kind of have to know where he's coming from and digest things a bit before you really get it. Does that make sense? It's late and I'm starting to be incoherent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
    Man, you're a downer.

And rude as well.

Try to be constructive, not destructive, or i may have to invoke the T-word.
    "This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children." -Dwight D. Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by davidhperry View Post
    Anyway, the campaign might be hesitant to run an ad like that since you kind of have to know where he's coming from and digest things a bit before you really get it. Does that make sense? It's late and I'm starting to be incoherent.
    This is, actually, the number one problem the campaign faces IMO -- it's really difficult to distill Ron Paul's message without losing it.

But that being said, I maintain that the boilerplate is the best place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualApathy View Post
    Man, you're a downer.

And rude as well.

Try to be constructive, not destructive, or i may have to invoke the T-word.
    Oh hell... Not the T- word. But anyway, sorry man, it's late and i've been moving all day. It just seems like lately this forum, as it gets bigger, has devolved into everyone second-guessing the campaign and each others ideas. A bunch of genitalia waving for the most part. Your initial post seemed like more of the same, and on your first post of all things. Sorry if i pulled the trigger a little early. I think the guy faulks/ V ting set me in a bad mood today.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the point of the ad is to reinforce a positive image of Ron Paul, get in a sticking point or two, and build a favorable base for when the listener sees him in a debate or hears about him from some other medium.

They'll probably follow up with more issue oriented ads in a week or so.

I heard an ad on WCYY 94.3 (alt rock indie station) out of Portland ME, with coverage of eastern NH, and it did have the "boilerplate".

I have heard other ads that were more "conventional" on the "lite rock" stations (yuck) that my wife listens to.

Seems the campaign may not be so dumb, in that they look to be targeting differing demographics with a different message.

Don't ask me what the Country stations may be running, that goes above and beyond the call of duty.

It's good to be constructively critical, but I strongly disagree with you about this ad being "terrible". I just listened to the ad and I liked it. In fact, I suspect that after listening to it, those who have never heard of RP, will
    --have a favorable reaction to him
    --become more interested in finding out more

As I see/hear it:

1) the ad is meant to introduce RP to people who have never heard of him before--not overwhelm them w/a bunch of aural bullet points.

2) the add tells a good story by painting a simple portrait of RP that the listener can remember 30 seconds later (and which distinguishes him from the other empty suits running in the GOP): miltary service; baby doc; decent guy; low taxes.

3) the mention of how he worked in an inner city ER (and treated everyone whether they could afford to pay or not) is important, as it highlights that he is not another heartless elitist with a Darwinian attitude towards the poor--which they could otherwise think since he running in the GOP (perceived as only caring about the interests of big business) and has been called the Taxpayer's best friend (countering the "Why he probably wants to cut a whole bunch of programs and let people starve!" argument).

4) gives them the campaign website so that they can get more info about him if they're hooked.

I agree with Liz. And let's not forget that the campaign staff aren't novices at this. Congressman Paul has won 10 elections, 3 as a non-incumbent. He knows how to run a radio ad and knows when to step it up a notch. I liked the Real Republican radio ad better than this one, but this one is decent as an introduction. As we get closer to the primaries I suspect Congressman Paul will add some spunk to radio ads and more importantly, tv ads.
    "Instead of the “end of history,” we are now experiencing the end of a vocal limited-government movement in our nation’s capital. While most conservatives no longer defend balanced budgets and reduced spending, most liberals have grown lazy in defending civil liberties and now are approving wars that we initiate. The so-called “third way” has arrived and, sadly, it has taken the worst of what the conservatives and liberals have to offer." -Ron Paul

The add is quite simply pure genius. My friend and I were both thrilled with it. This add is way better then the ones they did in Iowa for the Straw Poll. With the money we have, I look forward to them keeping up the radio commericals all the way up to election day!
    Don't wait for orders from HQ, mount up and ride to the sound of gun fire! Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    well, I think the list of "never have's" is a good thing, but you have to understand that 30 seconds is the desired radio ad, else most people tune out.... Now, if things were as easy as just saying the obvious and the truth - the idea of marketing would never even be an issue...

The idea is to sell. To bring thought and emotion.. if you are gonna read a boiler plate, you first have to have people "listen", and if you are just reading off points I am not sure that will happen. I think people will tune out.

If you listen to Ron Paul's ad, hear it as a story... there "is" a story line and there are cadences and such.. the boiler plate ad is not like that... you "could" read it in dramatic or purposeful manner, but I believe you would go over 60 seconds....

Also, you have to leave about 3-4 seconds for disclaimer and another 5 seconds for a lead in... so, the amount of time you have is very minimal..

BUT, I believe reading the boilerplate is good - just not "all" of it... because you have to wrap that within a leadin - and leadout.

Sorry, I started my post, got interupted, then sent it off a while later--not reading what you had already written (which was spot on).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast