Thread: American Spies located on foreign soil: interventionist or not?

Question American Spies located on foreign soil: interventionist or not?

Sorry if this question is naive, but am curious how far nonintervention (as defined by libertarians) goes. Would having spies who are physically located in other countries for intelligence gathering in those countries be considered having an 'interventionist' foreign policy by the libertarian definition?
    Last edited by charrob; 11-23-2010 at 09:03 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    Sorry if this question is naive, but am curious how far nonintervention (as defined by libertarians) goes. Would having spies who are physically located in other countries for intelligence gathering in those countries be considered having an 'interventionist' foreign policy by the libertarian definition?
    I would suggest that having the information would be good . Interfering in the societies of others would be what to get away from . Knowing what is going on , there is nothing wrong with .

I would apply the prime directive they use on Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I would suggest that having the information would be good . Interfering in the societies of others would be what to get away from . Knowing what is going on , there is nothing wrong with .
    Spies from other countries in the US would be OK then too.

If we were a non-interventionalist nation, what would other nations have to spy on us for?
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    Not saying I know, but I'd say having paid government spies in foreign countries is not a non-interventionist policy.

If the US minded it's own business and has a strong defense to protect our borders (which we totally have), I don't see the need for spies.

Spies are like snitches in my book.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by raistlinkishtar View Post
    I would apply the prime directive they use on Star Trek.
    I tend to agree with this.

Listening and keeping one's neighbors and enemies close is a good thing. Running subversive covert ops which does nothing but create global contempt for us is NOT.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

There is a libertarian / non-interventionist alternative to the traditional "spy". It's called "open source intelligence".

http://www.oss.net/

Wikileaks is an example of open source intelligence.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I tend to agree with this.

Listening and keeping one's neighbors and enemies close is a good thing. Running subversive covert ops which does nothing but create global contempt for us is NOT.
    Sure. But there are two problems with these "secret agencies". One is that because they are secret there is little to no oversight for preventing "subversive covert ops". The second is they sometimes distort the intelligence for political reasons. Take the WMD intel. Many people outside the government new it was BS. I certainly knew. But the defenders of the administration kept saying "The have access to secret information that we don't know anything about. We have to trust them." Nonsense. Any information gathered should be publicly disseminated so that it can be fact checked and verified. Oh redact all of the "sources and methods" (well the sources anyway. If the "method" is waterboarding the public needs to know that too.) But the intelligence itself should not be secret. After all our tax dollars paid for it.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

WHatever country a spy is from doesn't matter... just remember that if the spies weren't backed by the establishment state of their respective countries... they would be labeled Terrorists.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran