Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Beer making!

So, I don't know, did I ruin it? I am wondering if I should have used a rubber stopper on top, was the air-lock not tight enough? I am overreacting? I am bottling tomorrow and the color wasn't as pretty as it was in the last picture.

Last edited by Cowlesy; 11-11-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    So, I don't know, did I ruin it?
    Can't tell from here.
    Would have to taste it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

So, I don't know, did I ruin it? I am wondering if I should have used a rubber stopper on top, was the air-lock not tight enough? I am overreacting? I am bottling tomorrow and the color wasn't as pretty as it was in the last picture.

I can't tell--is that mold in the neck? I've brewed using buckets, not a glass container--but there's always some icky-looking stuff on the sides. Hard to compare with this pic, can you get a clearer pic of the neck?

I think it looks pretty good, relative to what I've brewed before--but I don't have as much experience as many who post here. In fact, I think the color looks better than in your last pic.

When you're bottling tomorrow, smell it, and if it doesn't smell bad, taste a little bit of it. It'll be flat, but you can get an idea of where it's going. (Taste before adding the additional sugar.)
    Last edited by amy31416; 11-11-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

That foam on top is normal. Your fine. It's called krausen (KROY-zen). Looks like a good bit of sediment, though that could just be on the sides.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

I have to

My yield..after all that work for a 1 gallon batch. 6 bottles!

I had a ton of trub when I finished this little experiment, and doing a 1 man auto-siphon was a pain in the ass.

It SMELLED like beer, but I don't know, it almost seemed a bit watery, but couldn't bring myself to really taste it without it being the finished product.

Bottling sucks, I am going to get a better operation for that.

So we'll see in 2 weeks if it is drinkable, or if I end up sick.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

So we'll see in 2 weeks if it is drinkable, or if I end up sick.
    First time I brewed I got horrible diarrhea. Good luck!

Bottling sucks, I am going to get a better operation for that.
    Get a bottling wand. Looks like this:

The end has a valve that auto closes. You just hook your siphon hose up to top of it then stick it down to the bottom of the bottle. It pushes the needle up, opening the valve. I stop when the beer reaches the top of the bottle because the wands volume displaces the beer. This usually puts it right at the shoulder of the bottle.
    Last edited by noxagol; 11-14-2011 at 08:38 AM.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by noxagol View Post
    Get a bottling wand. Looks like this:

The end has a valve that auto closes. You just hook your siphon hose up to top of it then stick it down to the bottom of the bottle. It pushes the needle up, opening the valve. I stop when the beer reaches the top of the bottle because the wands volume displaces the beer. This usually puts it right at the shoulder of the bottle.
    Thanks noxagol, will look into this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you were pinching tube closed to stop the flow into the bottle, once you use that you will wonder how you ever managed to do it before! However, be careful to not suck up some of the solid stuff that settles to the bottom. This can clog the valve and is a pain to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by noxagol View Post
    If you were pinching tube closed to stop the flow into the bottle, once you use that you will wonder how you ever managed to do it before! However, be careful to not suck up some of the solid stuff that settles to the bottom. This can clog the valve and is a pain to deal with.
    What I did was go from my carboy to my sterile pot via a big huge funnel/filter I had to avoid getting any sediment. And you were right about the stuff up at the neck of the bottle, it was just on the side and had been there since right after I brewed. Wasn't mold.

When filtering, do your best to avoid aeration. Slow and calm is the name of the game. Aeration will introduce oxygen to the yeast which will skunk your brew faster. Oxygen and light during and after fermentation are the two biggest things to avoid. If you could do the whole thing in a closed and purged system you'd be golden. I thought up a filter process for siphoning, basically you get a container of some sort or make one, where you can attach a tube to both ends and have some sort of paper filter like cheesecloth or something else. that sort of filter is going to get a lot more particles than a strainer type. I thought of using two large funnels and putting a bead of food safe silicone sealant around both rims. Put some cheese cloth or other filter material and then clamp them together. Purge with co2 by hooking this up to the airlock during fermentation at some point, then before removing the airlock, clamp off both ends of the tube. Hook on end up to the auto-siphon and the other end to the bottling wand. Then unclamp the ends and proceed to bottle. This will remove sediment and will keep you from oxygenating the brew. It will even carbonate it a little, especially the first few bottles.

All this talk has me wanting to really brew some beer!

Started a hard apple cider last night. A gallon of apple juice, Indian Summer brand, a pound of brown sugar, 5 cinnamon sticks, and 1/5 a packet of wine yeast. The original gravity was 1.080, which according to some charts I found, will give me an alcohol content of about 10%.

I also love brewing. I've been at it for 3 years, been all graining for a full year now.

I actually brewed a Belgian Blonde today coming in at 1.054. Next week I will be brewing an Irish Draught Ale.

For anyone just getting into brewing or thinking about it, I cant recommend Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies enough.

I may post pics of my next brew day, just to take the mystery out of all grain brewing

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345