Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FDA expected to ban alcoholic energy drinks

FDA expected to ban alcoholic energy drinks

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/stor...CWafMaKWQ.cspx

New York's senior U.S. senator said federal regulators are expected to ban alcoholic energy drinks as soon as this week.

Sen. Charles Schumer said the Food and Drug Administration is expected to find that caffeine is an unsafe additive to alcoholic drinks, which would essentially ban alcoholic energy drinks such as Four Loko.

The Federal Trade Commission will then issue letters to caffeinated alcoholic beverage makers warning that marketing such drinks could be illegal.

Four states have already banned the drinks.

unsafe? because some people abuse it?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm pretty much fuming mad right now. This is freaking ridiculous. I don't need the government telling me another think I can't do. We need to do something about this.

^ I guess this is next on the list:
    http://www.kahlua.com/

MILTON FRIEDMAN: "We do not influence the course of events by persuading people that we are right when we make what they regard as radical proposals. Rather, we exert influence by keeping options available when something has to be done at a time of crisis."
    TACITUS: "Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
    TEAM AMERICA: "America, FUCK YEAH!"
    ENGINEERNJ: "You've got one 75-year-old man trying to keep 300 million people from going down the toilet."

This is all BS smokescreen crap to "LOOK OVER HERE".

Schumer is a perfectionist at it... there's always a underlining reason... in Schumers case, who's profiteering? Obviously someone has a connection with old Chucky.

[QUOTE]Sen. Charles Schumer said the Food and Drug Administration is expected to find that caffeine is an unsafe additive to alcoholic drinks[/quote] Kaluha and Coffee is out next...
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 11-16-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

What about mixed drinks with soda and liquor?

Is it unsafe to drink coffee after we drink?

Did the alcoholic energy drink companies not donate enough this last election cycle? or did they donate to the wrong people?
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Honest Four Loko Commercial - CollegeHumor video

In all honesty, they really do taste like $#@!. I don't see why anyone would want to drink them, but it's their choice.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

I don't suppose they'll have to PROVE this finding.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ... and what exactly is going to stop me from buying a case of RedBull and a bottle of Whiskey and mixing the two in a chilled glass? Also what are the implications for Rum and Coke? Coke contains caffeine and it's like one of the most popular drinks ever. Are they going to force bars to stop mixing it?

The government has no business telling people what they can/cannot put in their bodies.

I am thinking I may be able to find a way to profit from this .

+

Is there a difference?
    This empire, unlike any other in the history of the world, has been built primarily through economic manipulation, through cheating, through fraud, through seducing people into our way of life, through the economic hit men. I was very much a part of that.

-- John Perkins

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

--Mark Twain

That's the thing, the problem is the trend of mixing caffeine and alcohol, not this particular drink though wow 12% is awfully strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    Honest Four Loko Commercial - CollegeHumor video

In all honesty, they really do taste like $#@!. I don't see why anyone would want to drink them, but it's their choice.
    LOL, pretty, sure NONE of the claims in that commercial is true, though drinking them regularly is probably not the best thing.

These drinks are great for their intended purpose.. which is to get you really buzzed and ready for a long night out on the town, perhaps for a friend's birthday or other special occasion.. and you can drink quite a bit more after drinking them, but be careful, know your limits.

They taste..ok.. not spectacular, but good enough to swig down quickly while the cab is on the way.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdallr View Post

+

Is there a difference?
    No, there isn't any difference.. I dunno about NOS, can't remember if I've ever tried that one.. pretty similar to a NO FEAR I would have to say.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    Can we still spike our coffee?
    LOL. Yes, as long as you put a piece of tape over their camera lens in your kitchen.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by lester1/2jr View Post
    That's the thing, the problem is the trend of mixing caffeine and alcohol, not this particular drink though wow 12% is awfully strong.
    Well the idea is that the single drink gets you buzzed enough that you don't need another before going out.. if it is weaker, then some people might be tempted to crack open another one, and I don't think drinking more than 1 can be very good..

I remember people drinking multiple SPARKS when they first came out, and I'd attribute that to their alcoholic weakness.. though I think SPARKS was weak enough energy drink wise that you could drink 2 or 3 over the course of a night and it wasn't too bad.

Then they realized that people didn't really enjoy drinking sparks that much cause it was just like drinking orange soda.. so these other brands came out with stronger versions so you would only have to drink one like normal energy drinks.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-16-2010 at 03:34 PM.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-10-2012 at 06:44 AM.

I've had a store-bought version of those drinks a few times in the past. I honestly thought they were pretty tasty. Oh, well.

I don't drink that much really but this story has me craving some Coke Zero and vanillacuddies (sp?) !

Schumer is one of the most vile anti-liberty politicians to come from the nonsense that has been the Senate within the last century.

Quote Originally Posted by tnvoter View Post
    Schumer is one of the most vile anti-liberty politicians to come from the nonsense that has been the Senate within the last century.
    He is something ....

My newspaper paper column in The Michigan Daily about alcoholic energy drinks

http://www.michigandaily.com/content...iles-four-loko

A loko reason for regulation | The Michigan Daily
    Why Michigan's ban on Four Loko is the lowest form of government paternalism

Please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks everyone
    Last edited by biles1234; 11-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    My wife just said last night, "these things are all over the news lately, it is almost as if it is a marketing effort". And its true, I never would have even thought about trying one of these drinks.....now I want to before its toooo late....oh no..better go buy some now!
    Wow, don't drink one and expect to sit at home watching TV.. maybe if you like to play video games or something, otherwise you better have some stuff planned.

Oh, I dunno about that. I'm quite a fan of energy drinks (minus the alcohol, typically). I like almost all of them with the notable exception of Red Bull. One that I have quite often is called Plasma. Two for $2.22 at Super America! I have two of them just about every morning and honestly I think I'm developing a tolerance.

I just checked Google for images and I'm pretty sure that awhile back it was, in fact, Sparks that I tried a few times. I thought they were yummy.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^LOL, I was just searching for that Plasma energy drink and look what came up!!

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    ^LOL, I was just searching for that Plasma energy drink and look what came up!!

LOL. I have not tried (or seen) that one yet. Plasma is pretty good though. Supposedly more "natural" and "detoxifying". In fact if I recall, one of the varieties (maybe both) actually say on the can they are intended to be mixed with alcohol. Supposedly they lessen hangovers. I just drink them as is, however.

The Government doesn't mind putting FMJ's in your body, why do they care so much if you put some damn drink in your body?
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, there isn't any difference.. I dunno about NOS, can't remember if I've ever tried that one.. pretty similar to a NO FEAR I would have to say.
    NOS is $#@!ing elite. It's as hardcore as an energy drink gets. It's like at least 3 Redbulls. Don't know about NO FEAR though.

Quote Originally Posted by cswake View Post
    ^ I guess this is next on the list:
    http://www.kahlua.com/
    Those Federal gangsters better not come after Kahlua. If they do, they'll get a sea of complaint letters from Dudeists like me, alleging that they're religiously persecuting us by disallowing a recognized sacramental libation!
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom 4 all View Post
    ... and what exactly is going to stop me from buying a case of RedBull and a bottle of Whiskey and mixing the two in a chilled glass? Also what are the implications for Rum and Coke? Coke contains caffeine and it's like one of the most popular drinks ever. Are they going to force bars to stop mixing it?
    There you go. Rum & Coke. Alcohol and caffeine. Or Irish Coffee. The neo-prohibitionists would like to ban them all.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast