Thread: I have 10k that I can invest, but will need back in time for 4/15...

I have 10k that I can invest, but will need back in time for 4/15...

...what would be a decent investment and/or strategy?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JP2010 View Post
    ...what would be a decent investment and/or strategy?
    PRPFX - The Permanent Portfolio Fund

Low Risk, Steady Gains

Cash or cash equivalents.

Water, food, supplies, guns and ammo.

With interest rates at zero, there's not much out there. http://www.bankaholic.com/money-mark...4&go_button=Go

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Bingo.

Yahtzee.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Yep. That's too short a time span for investing with any risk at all.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you really must have it back by April then you're not in a good position to take any risk. There aren't really any safe options unless you want to dump it into a short term CD or money market, and even those will be considerably less than 1% interest.

Probably best just to hang on to the cash.

Edit/Update: According to bankrate.com, the very best you could hope for in a three month CD would be 0.69% to 0.8% depending on the institution:
    http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/cd-in...al_cd_3moCD_V1
    Hardly worth it unless you're talking several tens of thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by KCIndy; 11-10-2010 at 11:16 AM.

I would at least hedge against inflation. Silver has a bigger upside than gold, and silver should be higher than 26-27$ come April. Again, it isn't riskless, but it is about as riskless as one can be while also hedging inflation (and possibly getting a net return over the rate of inflation). Your choice though. (Agricultural & other commodity stocks would probably be a decent investment for 6 months time)

Though, if you must have the 10,000 on April 15 (I assume you mean you will be owing Gubbermint taxes), I wouldn't spend it at all, unless you want to do some Civ Dis and not pay the taxes whatsoever. Certainly an option there.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Arklatex

Start a sole proprietorship and buy 10,000 in "inventory", take a loss and write it off. Abracadabra.

Buy a decent sized oil company such as Haliburton.

Quote Originally Posted by CAKochenash View Post
    PRPFX - The Permanent Portfolio Fund

Low Risk, Steady Gains
    For a 6 month time frame?

lol, if harry browne only knew what he had spawned...

Buy e-mini futures!! Go big or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Start a sole proprietorship and buy 10,000 in "inventory", take a loss and write it off. Abracadabra.
    Genius

I only need around 4k of it back for taxes on 4/15. I'd rather have the money doing something besides sitting in a bank losing value.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I only need around 4k of it back for taxes on 4/15. I'd rather have the money doing something besides sitting in a bank losing value.
    Silver or Gold. I would rather go with Silver, since it has more upsides. Don't put the money into a worthless bank account, CD, or whatever else that gets <1% interest. You want to hedge it against inflation and the printing presses. Of course, there are a lot of great stocks out there too.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Find a silver miner, a gold miner, an oil company and two agricultural stocks you like. Split the money among those stocks.

Then 4k is the amount you need to keep sitting in a bank losing value (or getting 0.85% interest in a 3 month CD, which is about the best you'll get for that time frame). And the other 6k you should invest however you want with whatever tolerance of risk you have for it.

Check out local credit unions. Im getting almost 2% up to 25k on a checking account.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesButabi View Post
    Check out local credit unions. Im getting almost 2% up to 25k on a checking account.
    Yup.

A number of banks are offering "rewards checking" with 4% yields on $25,000. You usually have to meet some criteria each month like debit card swipes, but it's a great deal.

Matters how much you can lose...If you need 10k, then just put it in the bank.
    MyLibertyStuff.com - Funny political shirts for conservatives, libertarians, tea party members and more

MyLibertyStuff.com Facebook

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." – Goethe

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." – Thomas Jefferson