Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christian Woman Sentenced to Death in Pakistan for Blasphemy Against Mohammed

Christian Woman Sentenced to Death in Pakistan for Blasphemy Against Mohammed

Asia Bibi

Christian woman sentenced to death in Pakistan 'for blasphemy'
    A Christian woman has been sentenced to hang in Pakistan after being convicted of defaming the Prophet Mohammed.

Telegraph UK
    09 Nov 2010

Asia Bibi, a 45-year-old mother-of-five, denies blasphemy and told investigators that she was being persecuted for her faith in a country where Christians face routine harassment and discrimination.

Christian groups and human rights campaigners condemned the verdict and called for the blasphemy laws to be repealed.

Her supporters say she will now appeal against the sentence handed down in a local court in the town of Sheikhupura, near Lahore, Pakistan.

SOURCE:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...blasphemy.html
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Far too many people have been killed in the name of a god.

Amazing in a country where the government thugs have killed thousands (with our blessings and prodding btw) extra judicially and have amassed billions in illegal money, the kangaroo courts always have time to hand out death sentences

I guess this is their version of park 51, for no sentence has ever been carried out. Fortunately for this one too. According to the article she's been acquitted.

Shahzad Kamran, of the Sharing Life Ministry Pakistan, said: "The police were under pressure from this Muslim mob, including clerics, asking for Asia to be killed because she had spoken ill of the Prophet Mohammed.

"So after the police saved her life they then registered a blasphemy case against her." He added that she had been held in isolation for more than a year before being sentenced to death on Monday.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Fortunately, her chances of surviving this inquisition are much higher than the arbitrary executions of her Muslim countrymen everyday both at the hands of the government forces and our drones.

Anyways, I doubt if Christian lives in 3rd world have ever been a matter of concern to most in this country especially if they are on the bottom rung of the society. I mean it sure as hell didn't bother Obama when he backed a permanent seat on the UNSC.
    But it would make a great instance of casus belli when convenient though.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyVox View Post
    I guess this is their version of park 51, for no sentence has ever been carried out. Fortunately for this one too. According to the article she's been acquitted.
    It doesn't say anywhere in the article that she's been acquitted. However, it does say...

Although no one has ever been executed under Pakistan's blasphemy laws – most are freed on appeal – as many as 10 people are thought to have been murdered while on trial.
    She's not out of the woods yet.
    When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads. --Ron Paul

Pro-life is Pro-liberty
    http://www.l4l.org/

Quote Originally Posted by TC95 View Post

She's not out of the woods yet.
    Let's hope so. And she will be. Like I said, her main problem afterwards would probably be the continued social stigma of belonging to an underclass, while those of her Muslim countrymen's would be actually losing their lives. This is not to say that this is abhorrent and disturbing nor it is to say that there is some civil war or systematic slaughter of Christians going on.

But then what's the point of this thread one may ask? One could spend a few minutes rummaging and friskin through the dailies of any country lookin for gore and the dismal and then do some thread bombing, most of it totally irrelevant except for some sectarian red meat. A proposed stoning for purported adultery here, a church burnt there, a mosque razed to the ground. But to what end?

Actually the end is pretty clear if one looks at the OP's pattern. If any thing fighting this mentality is the reason for RPF, because this is exactly what the war mongers usually sell without balance.

If any thing fighting this mentality is the reason for RPF, because this is exactly what the war mongers usually sell without balance.
    Amen.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let's hope so. And she will be. Like I said, her main problem afterwards would probably be the continued social stigma of belonging to an underclass, while those of her Muslim countrymen's would be actually losing their lives. This is not to say that this is abhorrent and disturbing nor it is to say that there is some civil war or systematic slaughter of Christians going on.

But then what's the point of this thread one may ask? One could spend a few minutes rummaging and friskin through the dailies of any country lookin for gore and the dismal and then do some thread bombing, most of it totally irrelevant except for some sectarian red meat. A proposed stoning for purported adultery here, a church burnt there, a mosque razed to the ground. But to what end?

Actually the end is pretty clear if one looks at the OP's pattern. If any thing fighting this mentality is the reason for RPF, because this is exactly what the war mongers usually sell without balance.
    Christians are opressed throughout the world and no one gives a $#@!. Someone starting a thread about it is the least of my concerns.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Fortunately, her chances of surviving this inquisition are much higher than the arbitrary executions of her Muslim countrymen everyday both at the hands of the government forces and our drones.

Anyways, I doubt if Christian lives in 3rd world have ever been a matter of concern to most in this country especially if they are on the bottom rung of the society. I mean it sure as hell didn't bother Obama when he backed a permanent seat on the UNSC.
    But it would make a great instance of casus belli when convenient though.
    They are 1.3 % of population and are not allowed to hold office in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan . Bottom rung may be putting it lightly .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They are 1.3 % of population and are not allowed to hold office in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan . Bottom rung may be putting it lightly .
    War monger! Even bringing attention to this is playing straight into the neocons hands.

We have to ignore this and instead focus on issues such as this 70 year old Jewish dude who lives in the desert and threw his shoe at a picture of Obama

Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post

Not exactly. This page lists all of the Hindu and Christian MPs in Pakistan's National assembly:

http://www.na.gov.pk/nonmuslim.html

Pakistan has had a Catholic Supreme Court Chief Justice, from 1960-1968; Alvin Robert Cornelius:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Robert_Cornelius

Also a Hindu Supreme court judge recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rana_Bhagwandas

Pakistani Christians are also some of the best fighter pilots in the Pakistani Air force:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Chaudhry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Christy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_Middlecoat

Pakistan's top female fashion models are also Christian, such as Suneeta Marsha, Gia Ali, and Rachel Gill. If you check out their video clips on youtube, you will find them wearing not-so-conservative clothing such as skin tight jeans and leggings. They also act in our drama serials on TV. Pakistan's top fashion designer, Deepak Perwani is a Hindu.

CNN did a story on Karachi's Fashion Week, but neglected to mention the minority presence in Pakistan's fashion and entertainment industry.

YouTube - Sunita Marshal in tight jeans and high heel boots

If Pakistani female models, who believe Jesus is their lord and savior, can strut around in provocative clothing, their condition cannot be thatbad, at least not as bad as any other regular Pakistani.

Now, I am not saying that there is not any discrimination towards minorities in Pakistan. My family has experienced that as well due to the US supported dictator, Zia ul Haq, whose rule is the cause of Pakistan's slide towards extremism today.
    Pakistan used to be open, secular, and quite modern in the 60's and 70's. It still is in the cities, but it's growing less and less modern everyday.

There's discrimination in Pakistan, but it's not just religion-based. There's ethnic discrimination, tribal discrimination and caste discrimination as well. It's unfortunate and should be eliminated. Pakistan does have a quota system (like Affirmative Action here) to give minorities more of a chance in civil service jobs.

In my opinion, it's more of a case of classicism, rich vs. poor. In Pakistan, if you are rich and a Christian/Muslim/Hindu, you will get to go to a nice private school, and get a good job. But if you're poor, well good luck. And if you're poor and a minority non-Muslim, then you have to struggle harder, like poor Iqbal Masih did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iqbal_Masih

The blasphemy law is despicable and should be repealed. You cannot expect too much in a country where the literacy rate is less than 50%. Poor Pakistani Muslims vent out their frustrations on their poor Christian counterparts, using the blasphemy law as a vehicle. This has risen in the past years, dumb Pakistanis think Christians are siding with Americans/Mossad/whatever.

Pakistan's founder was also a minority Shiite Muslim who liked to drink whiskey, and also married a non-Muslim Zoroastrian. He was staunchly secular and explicitly said the state had no business in person's private religion.

How many threads have you created on the day to day injustices occurring right here in the U.S.?

How many xenophobe threads have you created?

I rest my case...

Pope urges freedom for Pakistani Christian

Associated Press
    Nov. 17, 2010

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Benedict XVI on Wednesday urged the release of a Christian woman in Pakistan facing the death sentence on a charge of blasphemy.

Benedict told his weekly public audience that Christians in Pakistan "are often victims of violence and discrimination."

He called for the release of Asia Bibi, a mother of five children who was sentenced to death in early November accused of insulting the Prophet Muhammad. He expressed his "spiritual closeness" to her and said he is praying that the "human dignity and fundamental rights of everyone in similar situations" is fully respected.

Shahbaz Bhatti, Pakistan's minister for minority affairs, said a group of Muslim women reported Bibi to police after a dispute over whether she, as a Christian, was allowed to use the same water bowl as them. They accused her of making derogatory remarks against the Prophet Muhammad. She has been in prison for the past 1 1/2 years.

The verdict has drawn attention to Pakistan's blasphemy laws, which critics say are used to persecute Christian and other minorities, fan extremism and are often exploited for personal enmity.

Asked about the pope's remarks, Bhatti said "he was free to say whatever he wants. They shows his solidarity and concern for the suffering of humanity."

SOURCE:
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/...gebusinessnews
    ----

It seems most likely that Asia Bibi will be pardoned.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112202000.html

Official: Pakistan Christian innocent of blasphemy

By KAY JOHNSON
    The Associated Press
    Monday, November 22, 2010; 8:41 AM

ISLAMABAD -- A Pakistani Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy against Islam is innocent, a government minister investigating the case said Monday, adding he was hopeful she would be granted a presidential pardon and be freed.

The sentence against Asia Bibi has called new attention to Pakistan's blasphemy law, which critics say is used to persecute minorities, fan religious extremism and settle personal vendettas.

Bibi, a 45-year-old mother of five, has already spent 1 1/2 years in jail.

A court sentenced her Nov. 8 to hang after convicting her of insulting the Prophet Muhammad.

She says she was falsely accused by a group of village Muslim women angry with her after a dispute over whether they could share the same water bowl.

Pope Benedict XVI appealed last week for her release, and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has asked for a review of the facts of the case, raising the possibility of a presidential pardon.

Minister for Minority Affairs Shahbaz Bhatti, who is preparing the report for Zardari, said his preliminary investigations indicate that Bibi was wrongly accused.

"I am convinced that she is innocent and she was wrongly sentenced to death," Bhatti said.

A provincial official delivered a petition from Bibi for clemency to the president's office on Monday, Bhatti said. He said he will submit his own report to Zardari on Wednesday, and then the president will make a decision.

"I am optimistic about her release," he said.

Asia's lawyer has filed an appeal with a higher court in the southern city of Lahore, but she could be freed by a presidential pardon at any time.

Pakistan's Christians, who make up less than 5 percent of the Muslim-majority country's 175 million people, are frequently the targets of accusers invoking the law, Bhatti said.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    War monger! Even bringing attention to this is playing straight into the neocons hands.

Bringing attention to "this" which is false statement makes one a warmonger?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExPatPaki View Post
    It seems most likely that Asia Bibi will be pardoned.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112202000.html

Official: Pakistan Christian innocent of blasphemy

By KAY JOHNSON
    The Associated Press
    Monday, November 22, 2010; 8:41 AM

ISLAMABAD -- A Pakistani Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy against Islam is innocent, a government minister investigating the case said Monday, adding he was hopeful she would be granted a presidential pardon and be freed.
    And if she was guilty of "insulting Islam" it would be ok to put her to death? Nice folk...

And if she was guilty of "insulting Islam" it would be ok to put her to death? Nice folk...
    I never said it would be okay. You and oyarde are the ones who LIED about Pakistani Christians not being able to hold political office in Pakistan.

I would say that the Pakistanis are much nicer than the Americans who slaughter whole families with drone strikes without due process of law.

Try again.
    Last edited by ExPatPaki; 11-27-2010 at 12:57 PM.

I never said it would be okay. You and oyarde are the ones who LIED about Pakistani Christians not being able to hold political office in Pakistan.
    I said that?

I would say that the Pakistanis are much nicer than the Americans who slaughter whole families with drone strikes without due process of law.

Try again.
    I wouldn't. I think a law that makes it punishable by death to insult the religion of Islam is $#@!ed up - and indicative of a country that discriminates against non-Muslims.

I wouldn't.
    Of course not because you enjoy it when entire Muslim families are slaughtered.

I've already posted about Pakistan's discriminatory policies in my first post in this thread; it's more to do with classicism than religious bigotry. If this woman was rich, she would've been free a long time ago.

Of course not because you enjoy it when entire Muslim families are slaughtered.
    You are an idiot.

I've already posted about Pakistan's discriminatory policies in my first post in this thread; it's more to do with classicism than religious bigotry. If this woman was rich, she would've been free a long time ago.
    Are Muslims ever prosecuted for insulting Christians?

You are an idiot.
    At least I don't support the whole scale slaughter of entire families.

Are Muslims ever prosecuted for insulting Christians?
    No. Are American Christians ever prosecuted for killing civilians in drone strikes?

Keep in mind that a death sentence because of this repugnant law has never been carried out by the state.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've yet to hear a muslim tell me why, and what they actually believe... its a very shallow "faith", mostly built on laws and rules,be good and you earn this....but their definition of good is to punish and kill people who dont agree with their bull$#@! fake god.

This appeal process has been going on since 2010? 8 years is a long time to have a death sentence over your head especially for this BS.

She has applied for asylum to the US. Clearly, this is a case that deserves serious consideration.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Far too many people have been killed in the name of a god.
    Far too many use the name of a god to manipulate people. ever since Nimrod.

it is very old error.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

A Christian woman who spent eight years on Pakistan’s death row after being convicted of blasphemy is free after the country’s Supreme Court upheld its earlier acquittal of her Tuesday.
    Asia Bibi, now 47, was accused of blasphemy in 2009 for daring to defend herself and her faith from Muslims’ vile insults. She had been out picking berries with other women on a hot summer day when she took a drink from a well. A Muslim woman, seeing this, announced that no one else could drink from the cup because Bibi had made it “unclean.” (Bibi, by her own account, had already been punished for being a Christian by being forced to pick more berries than other women in order to earn the same wages.)
    “I think Jesus would see it differently from Mohammed,” Bibi replied.
    “How dare you think for the Prophet, you filthy animal!” the woman retorted.
    Soon others began hurling insults at Bibi. The woman who had started it all told her she should convert to Islam.

“I’m not going to convert,” Bibi shot back. “I believe in my religion and in Jesus Christ, who died on the cross for the sins of mankind. What did your Prophet Mohammed ever do to save mankind? And why should it be me that converts instead of you?”
    Bibi suffered physical abuse and was arrested and hauled before the courts, which found her guilty of blasphemy, a capital offense in Pakistan. She was kept in what she called “a tiny, windowless cell” and fully expected to be executed or to die waiting.
    Then something miraculous happened: Pakistan’s Supreme Court overturned her sentence on, of all days, last Halloween.
    Unfortunately, the reaction to that decision kept Bibi from being free to leave the country and join her children in Canada, where they have been granted asylum. Thousands of Islamist protestors took to the streets. Bibi, her lawyer, and the Supreme Court justices were all threatened with death. (Two government officials who stuck up for her had already been killed.) The radicals filed an appeal for a review of the ruling, forcing Bibi to remain in Pakistan, where she resided “at an undisclosed location protected by Pakistani security forces who have kept her confined to her quarters, unable to even open a window,” reported the Associated Press.
    Now she is finally allowed to leave, and according to a friend who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity, rejoining her children is her top priority.
    “I am really grateful to everybody. Now after nine years it is confirmed that I am free and I will be going to hug my daughters,” the friend quoted Bibi as saying.
    According to the AP:
    Pakistan’s Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa, who led the panel that upheld Bibi’s acquittal, said in court that Bibi’s accusers were guilty of perjury and that if the case had not been so sensitive, they should have been jailed for life.
    “The image of Islam we are showing to the world gives me much grief and sorrow,” Khosa said.
    Much of the evidence presented against Bibi was suspicious, and some of it appeared to be fabricated, he said, adding that the cleric who lodged the initial charge of blasphemy gave contradictory statements that were unchallenged in the trial.
    Bibi’s lawyer, Saiful Malook, praised the ruling, saying the three-judge panel that upheld the acquittal had “insisted on very strict proofs of blasphemy” that were not forthcoming.
    Michael Kugelman, deputy director of the Asia Program at the Washington-based Wilson Center, called it a “milestone” and a “legal watershed.”
    The radical Islamists, on the other hand, despised the outcome. Mohammad Shafiq Amini, acting chief of the Tehreek-e-Labbaik party, said the decision was “cruel and unjust” and called on supporters to protest. However, this time the country’s security forces were ready for protests and had even arrested many party activists Monday, preventing major uprisings.
    Bibi’s long nightmare is finally over, but other Pakistani Christians still live in fear of being executed for blasphemy. The court’s decision might have a “deterrent effect,” human-rights activist Tahira Abdullah told the AP, “but knowing the political mileage to be gained from false charges of blasphemy, I doubt it.”

https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...-for-blasphemy
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

A Christian woman who was acquitted of blasphemy by the Pakistani Supreme Court remains trapped in the country, and her health is failing, reports London’s Daily Mail.

She languished on death row for eight years only to have her conviction overturned by the country’s high court last October, an event that led to violent street protests from Islamist hardliners. The prime minister prevented her from leaving the country while the decision was appealed. Finally, in January, a three-judge panel affirmed Bibi’s acquittal, with the chief justice charging that the case against Bibi was riddled with false evidence and perjured testimony.
    “The image of Islam we are showing to the world gives me much grief and sorrow,” he said.
    That appeared to be the end of Bibi’s ordeal. According to one of her friends, Bibi said at the time, “Now after nine years it is confirmed that I am free and I will be going to hug my daughters,” who are already in Canada, where Bibi and her husband have also been offered asylum. (Bibi had first sought asylum in Great Britain but was denied it, supporters say, because of fears of unrest among the country’s large Muslim population.)
    Five weeks later, however, Bibi’s departure from Pakistan is “no longer imminent,” according to the Mail.
    British officials say the Pakistani government has “confirmed that Asia Bibi is free to make her own decisions and to leave Pakistan.”
    But in reality, senior figures within the military — which has close ties to extremists — are trying to stop her going.
    Mrs. Bibi and her husband do not even know their own whereabouts, and foreign diplomats believe the delay in processing the asylum paperwork is deliberate. Even Canadian envoys have struggled to contact Mrs. Bibi.
    A source told the newspaper that Bibi is suffering from “extremely low blood pressure” and “is not getting the medical treatment she needs.”
    “Everyone is very worried,” the source said. “She won her appeal and was supposed to be out of Pakistan by now. Even though the government says she can leave, the army has all the power in this case.”
    “They are in control of her. They are fearful about getting a negative press if she speaks out about her experiences — but they will get an even worse press if she dies in protective custody.”

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...eaving-country
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast