Thread: Government Shutdown

Government Shutdown

Okay, now that Republicans have taken back congress, they have some VERY tough choices to make. Many compare a divided Congress and Presidency to the 90's, however, things are a little different now. The 90's wasn't at its limit, as we are today.

The Republicans can make a choice when they take office because the budget won't be much better. They will either shut down government or raise the debt limit. Raising the debt limit will compromise everything the Tea Party has spoken out against.

Shutting down government would mean that NO ONE gets any checks written by the federal government. Millions of seniors wouldn't get social security checks, millions of people who currently depend on government would not receive a single penny including federal workers, poor, seniors, etc. How would those people survive? What would be the consequences of this.

Personally, I don't have an answer. I think that it will be interesting to see what the Republicans decide to do.

What is your take on this? The current situation is not unlike anything we have seen before.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    one self bump
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

I want it to stop(spending.) Defaulting will have to happen anyway, better now then letting it continue to grow. Congressmen will have to expect that people will most vote them out either way.

Whether or not seniors get their social security checks depends on what parts of the government are shut down. Of course the Obama administration would shut down SS payments in order to make the Republicans look bad.

Personally I think that it is possible to shut down the Energy, Education, half of Interior, bases in Europe and Asia, HUD, Iraq, and many other areas without hurting seniors. The student loans can be met using incoming repayments to issue new loans.

Quote Originally Posted by libertybrewcity View Post
    They will either shut down government or raise the debt limit. Raising the debt limit will compromise everything the Tea Party has spoken out against.
    Not raising the debt limit won't shut the Government down and this isn't a Black/White issue. Most likely what will happen is that major spending restrictions will be put in place as a compromise to raise the debt limit.

Spending Restrictions will be a step in the right direction.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Not raising the debt limit won't shut the Government down and this isn't a Black/White issue. Most likely what will happen is that major spending restrictions will be put in place as a compromise to raise the debt limit.

Spending Restrictions will be a step in the right direction.
    Either way, the GOP must be vocal and philosophical with this. If the Obama admin threatens to stop SS payments, the GOP leadership needs to blast Obama for this and make it look like he is the one wanting seniors to starve. It must be stated that other things can be slashed before Social Security.

The welfare checks will stop eventually. When that happens, all hell will break loose. Detroit's main source of income is welfare (bridge cards), many other cities have become ghettoized like this over the years.

I'm hoping the next "riots" happen when I'm able bodied, as opposed to being old and victimized by these people while I'm in an old age home (a la New Orleans).

Quote Originally Posted by raistlinkishtar View Post
    The welfare checks will stop eventually. When that happens, all hell will break loose. Detroit's main source of income is welfare (bridge cards), many other cities have become ghettoized like this over the years.

I'm hoping the next "riots" happen when I'm able bodied, as opposed to being old and victimized by these people while I'm in an old age home (a la New Orleans).
    Retirees in many parts of Mexico will be much safer than near US big cities when this happens.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What should they do? Take a firm stand against spending and debt. What will they do? Take no stand, spout empty rhetoric, and go along with the increasing size of the federal government as usual.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by tremendoustie View Post
    What should they do? Take a firm stand against spending and debt. What will they do? Take no stand, spout empty rhetoric, and go along with the increasing size of the federal government as usual.
    I would call for the complete transfer of the control, funding, administration, and disbursement of all welfare payments to the state governments. This way individual states and municipalities can decide how to operate these programs on a lean budget, and total stoppages and riots will be avoided.

Interstate highways could still be maintained by mandating that all gas taxes only go for roads and no public transit projects. Public transit funding should be completely transferred to the states.

Dismantle the DOE and have student loans administered by the states. The profit that results from the interest on loan payments can be used to grow the program and make it completely independent of taxpayers!

The biggie: Withdraw all troops from Afghanistan and Iraq and reduce force size by 15% through attrition. (not replacing retirees) Return reserve and national guard troops to reserve status, thereby only paying for weekend drills.

Remove all functions from the Department of Energy, except the maintenance of our nuclear stockpile.

Restrict the EPA to actual toxins that cross state boundaries. Remove any oversight of "greenhouse gases".

Defund the UN.

End all foreign aid in the form of cash transfers. Allow defense contractors to sell products at market price to nations that aren't enemies of the US instead. No sending military advisers to other nations!
    Last edited by libertythor; 11-09-2010 at 07:55 PM.