Thread: Airport Body Scanner Story on Yahoo's Front Page

"What Did I do to Deserve This?" TSA Body Scanner Story on Yahoo

If anyone has already posted on this, I can't find it. Has anyone seen the anti-TSA "body scanners" story on the front page of Yahoo today?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Opt-Ou...11705.html?x=0

Opt Out of a Body Scan? Then Brace Yourself

JOE SHARKEY, On Tuesday November 2, 2010, 1:40 am EDT

HAVING been taught by nuns in grade school and later going through military boot camp, I have always disliked uniformed authorities shouting at me. So I was unhappy last week when some security screeners at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago started yelling.

“Opt out! We got an opt out!” one bellowed about me in a tone that people in my desert neighborhood in Tucson usually reserve for declaring, “Rattlesnake!”

Other screeners took up the “Opt out!” shout. I was marched from the metal detector lane to one of those nearby whole-body imagers, ordered to take everything out of my pockets, remove my belt and hold my possessions up high. Then I was required to stand still while I received a rough pat-down by a man whose résumé, I suspected, included experience at a state prison.

“Hold your pants up!” he ordered me.

What did I do to deserve this? Well, as I approached the checkpoints, I had two choices. One was a familiar lane with the metal detector, so I put my bag on that. To my right was a separate lane dominated with what the Transportation Security Administration initially called “whole-body imagers” but has now labeled “advanced imaging technology” units. Critics, of course, call them strip-search machines.

I don’t like these things, and not just because of privacy concerns or because of what some critics have asserted are radiation safety issues with some of the machines that use X-ray technology.

story continues on site...
    EDIT: Well, it got yanked from the front page of Yahoo already. Wow, that was fast!
    Last edited by KCIndy; 11-04-2010 at 10:25 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I saw that too... they are going to keep adding and adding these things. If you refuse you get mole sted by a TSA thug.