Thread: Father in House, Son in Senate: never been done?

Question Father in House, Son in Senate: never been done?

Jack Hunter and I were talking toady and he seemed to indicate that there had NEVER been a father / son duo of Senator and Representative at the same time. Can someone fact check that?

If it's indeed true, then the Paul family has just made even more American history toady.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Jack Hunter and I were talking toady and he seemed to indicate that there had NEVER been a father / son duo of Senator and Representative at the same time. Can someone fact check that?

If it's indeed true, then the Paul family has just made even more American history toady.
    The Kennedy's did it the other way around. Don't know if it's been done with the son in the Senate.

I also believe you started this thread just to say you were talking to Jack Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    I also believe you started this thread just to say you were talking to Jack Hunter.
    I share you sentiment.
    In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post

Hey, if Matt is willing to share a bit of his awesome star-making power on an unknown young up and comer like Jack Hunter who are we to criticize? Who know, after this Jack might get his own radio show or something.

I mean, gee whiz, look what happened to Rand Paul just from being in the same photograph as Matt.

Rand, Ron Paul make history

It appears that the Senate win by Rand Paul in Kentucky marks a first in congressional history. It is the first time that a son has served in the Senate while his father served in the House of Representatives.

Ron Paul of course is a congressman from Texas, and a former GOP contender for president.

There have been other instances of fathers and sons serving in Congress together. Of note, Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts and his son Patrick serving as a Congressman from Rhode Island. But in that case it was the father in the upper house and his son serving in the lower house.

And there was a father and son that served in the Senate simultaneously. Henry Dodge of Wisconsin served in the Senate from 1848 to 1857 and his son, Augustus Dodge, was a Senator from Iowa, from 1855-1858.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...l-make-history
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by inibo View Post
    I mean, gee whiz, look what happened to Rand Paul just from being in the same photograph as Matt.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing...

Last edited by Matt Collins; 11-03-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.