Thread: David Weigel: "Am I the only person who finds Rand Paul more inspiring than M Rubio?

David Weigel: "Am I the only person who finds Rand Paul more inspiring than M Rubio?

He gets a 'yes you are' and an 'I understand what you mean....sort of', so far....but it was a nice post all the same.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/twi...3611&from=home
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rubio is 100% NEOCON...

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has...

John Stevens

Rubio is just terrible, but the alternatives aren't spectacular either. If I had to shut my eyes and push a button, I think I'd choose Crist just because it gets people used to the idea of seeing something other than an "R" or a "D" by someone's name, but that's about it. Even so, the elected non-R/D people are not exactly inspiring in that scenario. It's just... so... awful.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JS4Pat View Post
    Rubio is 100% NEOCON...
    not so fast. Rand may be able to bring him onto the randwagon.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

What are Rubio's neo-con positions?

I haven't followed his campaign at all. Hasn't he come out in support of a balanced budget amendment though? Based on my limited knowledge of him, he seems to be a step up from the McConnell's of the RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    not so fast. Rand may be able to bring him onto the randwagon.
    No.

Marco Rubio tries to act like an inspiring and innovative conservative, but give him just a little bit of scrutiny and you'll easily see that he's full of neocon $#@!.

Rubio believes defense spending should be off the table from any cuts, he believes Obama has been appeasing and apologizing to our enemies (those who say that are the ones who want more war), he unconditionally supports Israel, and he admires McCain for his foreign policy views.
    Last edited by Fozz; 11-01-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Rubio is just terrible, but the alternatives aren't spectacular either. If I had to shut my eyes and push a button, I think I'd choose Crist just because it gets people used to the idea of seeing something other than an "R" or a "D" by someone's name, but that's about it. Even so, the elected non-R/D people are not exactly inspiring in that scenario. It's just... so... awful.
    Crist, Rubio, and Meek all suck.

I would vote for the Libertarian candidate if I were in that state.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
    No.
    well, I am no going to underestimate Rand's power of persuasion. What if Mitch McConnell started asking for defense spending cuts? Would Rubio then follow suit?
    Knowledge is Liberty!

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    well, I am no going to underestimate Rand's power of persuasion. What if Mitch McConnell started asking for defense spending cuts? Would Rubio then follow suit?
    Rubio is a very arrogant neocon who talks about cutting spending and balancing the budget and makes colorful ads about saving our country's future, but in reality he won't change a damn thing, unless it is to start another war or take away more civil liberties.

Rubio will help with economic issues but beyond that he is pretty much worthless.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Who cares what David Weigel has to say about anyone in the conservative movement? He is a tool of the far left media establishment; that much has been proven. He should be held in the same regard as those CBS reporters in Alaska who just got caught plotting against Joe Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by gls View Post
    Who cares what David Weigel has to say about anyone in the conservative movement? He is a tool of the far left media establishment; that much has been proven. He should be held in the same regard as those CBS reporters in Alaska who just got caught plotting against Joe Miller.
    I thought possibly some here with twitter accounts might want to agree with him, and that one guy's 'no, you are the only one who could possibly think that -- except maybe some fringe libertarians' or some such kinda ticked me off.

Nvm.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Rubio is an Aspen Institute student, along with Jack Conway and Trey Grayson.

Aspen gets big bucks from Rockefellers and George Soros.

.....nuff said.

Rubio is the Latin Newt Gingrich.

Yawn. . .

More "Neocon" bashing. Maybe it is really is 2008. And much as I didn't support the War in Iraq, it's a tiny, tiny part of the fiscal and anti-freedom Armageddon we're up against.

Rubio was the first guy DeMint endorsed and that counts for a lot for me. He's also very charismatic and has got a great shot to be President some day.

I'll certainly reserve judgment until I see how he votes in the Senate, but for right now, I'm going to assume that 80% my friend is 80% my friend-- not 20% my enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by gls View Post
    Weigel doesn't fall under any specific ideology well. The closest ideology to pinpoint him to is a consequentialist libertarian, pegging him more in the Gary Johnson camp.

He catches more of our stories than a lot of other journalists, so for that I am happy.

He helped break the Ron Paul Newsletters story, despite voting for Dr. Paul in the primary in 2008. He also voted for Obama in 2008. He will report on what he perceives as the flaws in both parties, and in the Ron Paul Republican faction. All in all, his iconoclasm has made him a bit despised by a lot of people.
    Interested in politics? Check out Red Racing Horses for daily updates on electoral politics, redistricting, and the presidential campaigns.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Red View Post
    More "Neocon" bashing. Maybe it is really is 2008. And much as I didn't support the War in Iraq, it's a tiny, tiny part of the fiscal and anti-freedom Armageddon we're up against.

Rubio was the first guy DeMint endorsed and that counts for a lot for me. He's also very charismatic and has got a great shot to be President some day.

I'll certainly reserve judgment until I see how he votes in the Senate, but for right now, I'm going to assume that 80% my friend is 80% my friend-- not 20% my enemy.
    Rubio specifically wants defense spending to not even be touched. He is as bad as Sarah Palin on foreign policy, and he was endorsed by Dick Cheney. Don't fall for him just because he seems "charismatic". He would have all young men drafted into a war with Iran if he had his way.
    Last edited by Fozz; 11-01-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
    Rubio specifically wants defense spending to not even be touched. He is as bad as Sarah Palin on foreign policy, and he was endorsed by Dick Cheney. Don't fall for him just because he seems "charismatic". He would have all young men drafted into a war with Iran if he had his way.
    I strongly dispute your last sentence-- and what I am saying is your first sentence may be true, but it is also not the most important thing about Rubio. If you care about spending/size of Government, the entire military is only about 10% (and declining) of our total local +state+ national government. We can cut it to zero-- which might make some on this forum happy-- but it aint' gonna give us a small/decentralized government.

This forum is for politics-- not political philosophy-- politics inevitably involves alliances and compromises with people you are not in total agreement. In fact if you want to legislate, that is a 100% necessity. From what I have seen of Rubio, we have enough genuine areas of agreement that we can agree to disagree on the area of foreign policy and work together productively in other areas.

Watch how Rand Paul treats Rubio if you want to get a sense of how we might relate to him. There is no need to be more Catholic than the Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    Weigel doesn't fall under any specific ideology well. The closest ideology to pinpoint him to is a consequentialist libertarian, pegging him more in the Gary Johnson camp.

He catches more of our stories than a lot of other journalists, so for that I am happy.

He helped break the Ron Paul Newsletters story, despite voting for Dr. Paul in the primary in 2008. He also voted for Obama in 2008. He will report on what he perceives as the flaws in both parties, and in the Ron Paul Republican faction. All in all, his iconoclasm has made him a bit despised by a lot of people.
    Yeah, I don't despise him because of his "iconoclasm", I despise him because he is an establishment/corporatist liberal who pretends to be a libertarian. At least he used to until he got caught red-handed mocking those who support small government to his fellow lefty "journalistors". And now he works for Slate, which makes the Huffington Post seem conservative. Please don't compare him to Gary Johnson, a principled man who is a champion of freedom and individual rights.

Rubio is Aspen... just like Conway & Grayson. What on earth did we work so hard for Rand for if we could just reform these people?

I'm someone who stuck by Rand through thick and thin because I believe without a shadow of a doubt his motivation is to expand our liberty, and has worked to that end all his life. But we simply cannot afford to fall for another Reagan style candidate and waste our revolution - once we get successful, they will imitate our rhetoric. The only way is to know the person and see past that.

I strongly dispute your last sentence-- and what I am saying is your first sentence may be true, but it is also not the most important thing about Rubio. If you care about spending/size of Government, the entire military is only about 10% (and declining) of our total local +state+ national government. We can cut it to zero-- which might make some on this forum happy-- but it aint' gonna give us a small/decentralized government.
    the way u manipulate numbers is deceptive.."10% of our total local +state+ national government."

it's a national expense...so why are u bring local property taxes into the equation????

Defense spending is about 700 Billion (ABOUT AS MUCH AS REST OF PLANET COMBINED)...THAT EQUATES TO MORE THAN 20% OF THE FEDERAL BUDGET...AND 70% OF ALL INCOME TAXES COLLECTED!!!

Add in other costs of maintaining the Empire that Rubio wants (foreign aid, intelligence intrigues, off-the-books stuff etc) and in essence, all of our income taxes are consumed.

This is INSANE and Rubio - Palin won't touch it!

This forum is for politics-- not political philosophy-- politics inevitably involves alliances and compromises with people you are not in total agreement. In fact if you want to legislate, that is a 100% necessity. From what I have seen of Rubio, we have enough genuine areas of agreement that we can agree to disagree on the area of foreign policy and work together productively in other areas.

Watch how Rand Paul treats Rubio if you want to get a sense of how we might relate to him. There is no need to be more Catholic than the Pope.
    Most people here have mixed opinions about mainstream conservatives who don't agree with us on everything. I like Jim DeMint, because I think he is a genuine conservative who wants smaller government, but there are many people on this board who don't like him at all. And I think when push comes to shove, if DeMint had to choose between cutting government (including the Defense spending + foreign policy) and cutting nothing, DeMint would choose smaller government. I don't think Rubio would, because he is very outspoken about his neoconservative views and in the end I think they matter more to him than anything else. I'm sure Rand Paul will try to reach out to Rubio, but I doubt Rubio will be very friendly with Rand. On the other hand, I think DeMint, Buck, Lee, Miller, Angle, and Raese will be very good allies with him (among those who win).