Thread: Luzerne County "Home Rule" government

Luzerne County "Home Rule" government

So i have been seeing vote Home Rule "YES" and "NO" signs everywere and thought i should do some research before the elections. It seems because of the vast corruption in my county they have proposed the "Home Rule system" for luzerne county. I read about it, but to be honest i don't reall understand it and am worried if this might be an attempt to give one man greater power over everything because people were so sick of the corruption in the County.

http://standardspeaker.com/news/home...ular-1.1046324

any insight would be appreciated

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If there is too much diversity of belief it doesn't matter what the form of government is. It is going to suck. That said...

Think of it as turning government into a corporation because that is the purpose of home rule. Elected officials are the board of directors and set policy. The officers of the company running the show are non elected contracted municipal employees.

If you want government to operate like a corporation then I reckon you would consider home rule good. If you want elected representatives to retain control of government, then probably not so good.

Ok thanks, looking at it that way makes it easier to understand.

The problem with Luzerne county to begin with is that it is a one party system and probably always will be

Well this in months too late but i found this on the local C4L website. maybe i should be more involved i would have actually had the info to make a decision.. i never knew this form of government it takes away the sheriff!

Ballot Issue: Proposed Home Rule Charter

In Luzerne County, the Home Rule charter question passed on November 2nd. This is bad news for Luzerne County. It now means that we will have no sheriff to protect our people from abusive government. We also will not have county commissioners who are directly elected. Instead, we will have one county manager or executive who is appointed by an elected 11-member committee.

One of the keys to good government is having honest individuals in the positions of the government. Changing the form of government is no guarantee that better government will result. Furthermore, removing the people's constitutional protection in the form of the sheriff is a step in the wrong direction.

Our group is interested in attracting those who want a return to a more constitutional form of government in the county.

The web links below are still intact so that you may learn about the new form of government..
    http://charterno.com/
    Last edited by pahs1994; 04-04-2011 at 11:34 AM.