Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wear Purple today 10/20

Thumbs up Wear Purple today 10/20

in remembrance of recent gay suicides

Spirit Day a Way to Remember and Show Solidarity
    Wearing purple October 20 for gay suicide victims

By Nicole Rojas (COM’12)

The death of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi on September 23 made international headlines and cast a spotlight on an issue all too often ignored: the bullying of gay teenagers by their peers. The Rutgers University freshman leapt to his death from the George Washington Bridge after a roommate secretly taped him having sex with another man, then posted it on the internet.

Even more shocking, Clementi was one of seven teenagers believed to have killed themselves in recent weeks because of relentless bullying over their sexual orientation. Two of the boys who died were just 13.

People across the United States and Canada are being urged to wear some article of purple clothing today in remembrance of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth who have taken their lives because of taunting by peers.

The event, called Spirit Day is the brainchild of Canadian teenager Brittany McMillan. The 16-year-old suggested the color purple for a reason. “Purple represents spirit on the LGBTQ flag, and that’s exactly what we’d like everyone to take with them today,” she says. After coming up with the idea, McMillan wrote about it on her blog, Tumblr, and then asked readers to repost and promote Spirit Day among their peers.

The idea took off. More than a million Facebook users have pledged to wear purple today. McMillan says that “we will wear purple in memory of the recent gay suicides. Many of them suffered from homophobic abuse in their schools or in their homes. We want to take a stand to say that we will not tolerate this.”

Among those at BU planning to take part in Spirit Day is Elizabeth Breen (COM’12), who says she has many LGBT friends and today’s event is a chance to show solidarity. “I just think it’s hard enough for people to be themselves anyway,” she says. “I can’t imagine being yourself and people hating you for it.”

McMillan hopes that everyone will participate in Spirit Day. People “don’t necessarily have to agree with homosexuality to wear purple, nor do they have to be LGBTQ,” she says. “They just have to recognize that it’s wrong to bully someone for their sexual orientation.”

Spirit Day will be held worldwide today, Wednesday, October 20. Participants are asked to wear anything with the color purple to commemorate the deaths of seven students caused by peer bullying over the past several weeks. More information is available here.
    (bolded mine)

Source (bu.edu)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

i don't get it.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    i don't get it.
    Is there something in particular you don't get?

To me, it's about showing solidarity against picking on people or negatively targeting them for having a different sexual orientation.

Talking

Last edited by zach; 10-20-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    [Jeremy] zach is a typical racist from WV
    [CaseyJones] zach is hiding the fact that he is reptilian
    In 2012, 3rd party chatrooms will take over RPF Main Chat:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...69&postcount=1

"Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

What about people who were bullied into suicide who weren't gay?
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    What about people who were bullied into suicide who weren't gay?
    I'd support a day of remembrance for that as well, maybe do the ribbon thing, or even just wear black. I don't think bullying is acceptable regardless of the motivation.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper or anything but I just don't understand how wearing a certain color is supposed to bring attention to certain causes. Why not just actually talk to people and raise money for a cause or just raise awareness for something you believe in?
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    I'm not trying to be a party pooper or anything but I just don't understand how wearing a certain color is supposed to bring attention to certain causes. Why not just actually talk to people and raise money for a cause or just raise awareness for something you believe in?
    I guess it's kind of like the slave uprising bands, in that it's more about solidarity rather than conversion. Of course I'd say it's definitely a good thing if people wanted to make signs or logos and stuff.

Wasn't there something on the news about bullying becoming a felon?
    For all sheeple:
    Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.
    -Pericles
    Quote Originally Posted by libertarian4321 View Post
    If the religious didn't have other religions to hate, what would they do with their time?

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania View Post
    I'd support a day of remembrance for that as well, maybe do the ribbon thing, or even just wear black. I don't think bullying is acceptable regardless of the motivation.
    So why separate out people that weren't gay? They can't be remembered at the same time? This is collectivist nonsense.

The only reason I wear purple is to show my support for Gogol Bordello.

YouTube - Gogol Bordello - start wearing purple

What color does "Remembrance of Transgender Suicide Day" get?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

To me, it's for anyone determining to be their own person regardless of the associated label and attached societal stigma.

No one deserves that type of projected outrage.
    It's not nonsense; we're all made of the same $#@!ing biology!
    Tear down the damn labels already, and let's try to help each other out in whatever way possible.
    [Jeremy] zach is a typical racist from WV
    [CaseyJones] zach is hiding the fact that he is reptilian
    In 2012, 3rd party chatrooms will take over RPF Main Chat:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...69&postcount=1

Quote Originally Posted by Madly_Sane View Post
    Wasn't there something on the news about bullying becoming a felon?
    Does that apply to the IRS?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    what does purple have to do with gay suicide?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

what does purple have to do with gay suicide?
    Gay people have purple blood. Kind of like Klingons.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    srsly? I didn't know that! lolz
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    I thought it was 'cause gay people like purple foo foo drinks?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Hmm... I will not be wearing purple. I oppose all bullying, so in order to not slight all other forms of bullying and therefore be seen as supporting them, I will not raise the level of this form of bullying to a status of superiority to the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by me3 View Post
    Sounds like you guys are guilty of conspiracy to commit Liberty.

//
    Last edited by Natalie; 03-17-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Don't taze me bro. Don't touch my junk. Don't tread on me.

Maybe you need a friend not into politics... http://saveadogrescue.com/ http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=TX1472

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    So why separate out people that weren't gay? They can't be remembered at the same time? This is collectivist nonsense.

The only reason I wear purple is to show my support for Gogol Bordello.

YouTube - Gogol Bordello - start wearing purple
    that song is so awesome, I have not heard it in years.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    I'm not trying to be a party pooper or anything but I just don't understand how wearing a certain color is supposed to bring attention to certain causes.
    Speaking of pointless symbolism, how stupid is it that NFL players are wearing hot pink gloves, shoes, etc to "support breast cancer awareness" or something. I thought it was going to be one week of absurdity, but some of them are still wearing hot pink accessories.

I will not support this by wearing purple. Neither would I support a wear red for recent christian suicides day. Neither would I support a wear black for recent African American suicides day.

I would support a recent human being suicides day.

I would not support a human being suicide victim day because suicide produces no victims that have endured physical harm or property damage. The only person harmed is the individual who voluntarily committed suicide.

I would support condemning bullying and expect it to include spreading a message of love and peace among human beings.

I have never worn purple in my entire life. I hate it I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by lester1/2jr View Post
    I have never worn purple in my entire life. I hate it I'm sorry.
    +1

The only time I wore purple was for a Spanish class in high school.

... We had to make & wear a shirt with Spanish on it. I drew John Stossel's mustache and complimented it in purple text.

Not only do I not have a picture of me in it, but I seem to have left the shirt somewhere in the state of North Carolina.

Edit: Oh -- the OP. Right. I don't think this will help with the bully mentality against gays. If anything, this will just point out targets for the bullies, just like the anti-bullying bracelets did. That said - among people who aren't at much risk for being bullied -- go ahead. - But I don't own purple and wouldn't wear purple even if there were some massive "wear purple to show you're against the Iraq War" day.

Going back off topic - when I was in high school, the school administration issued bulletins asserting doing a fairly common white-out (where all students wear white to a football game) would become punishable if done at a particular game. They decided the school we were playing had too many black kids and it'd be taken as racist to do a white-out.

i don't get it.
    Well since purple is the traditional color of royalty.....clearly they are saying gays are better than you.

many are. I still won't wear purple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast