Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought 4k more in gold and silver - feels good

Bought 4k more in gold and silver - feels good

The best way to tell the government BLANK you. Buy some gold and silver. Liberating feeling.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wish I had 4k. $#@!, I wish I had $40 bucks. Im broke, as usual, until payday, when I can spend it on my bills and the fewer things than I coudl buy with that same paycheck last week.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Nice work! I have 0 faith in the US Govt.

I'm going long on paper mill stocks.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Haha^^

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    since the us dollar isn't really paper from wood pulp, it's mostly cotton and linen... best buy up cotton futures.

How about buying up all the old silver certificates and redeeming them at the treasury for silvahhhhhhh?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Isn't there something in the health care bill that says all gold purchases have to be reported to the government starting soon (date?)

Seems like history is getting ready to repeat itself with gold confiscation.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Isn't there something in the health care bill that says all gold purchases have to be reported to the government starting soon (date?)

-t
    Maybe they know they're going to have to revalue it to $5k/ounce to stop a currency war, and after doing so, want a way to recoup some of the extraordinary gains a lot of mundanes may realize from it via taxation?
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

-t
    It's not limited to gold. Any transaction more than I believe, 600 dollars, has to be reported.

-t
    Ah yes but tragic accidents happening, boating accident...they fell over!

Dog ate my coins! OMG

I gave them away....etc...

So good luck collecting what I don't have

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I wish I had 4k. $#@!, I wish I had $40 bucks. Im broke, as usual, until payday, when I can spend it on my bills and the fewer things than I coudl buy with that same paycheck last week.
    yeah I had been saving up for some time when all this went through. I will not let leeches just suck me dry. So I am trying to move it to a safer place(what little I got).

How did you buy $4k of gold? Isn't it illegal to buy just plain gold and save it? I thought only gold in jewelry or whatever was legal to own for us common folk peasants...

I have been thinking about taking the tiny bit of money I have saved and buying gold and/or silver with it, but I don't know how to do that really? Or if I should?

Although I'm guessing once we get into hyperinflation, which is coming sooner or later, even just buying gold and silver jewelry will be better than saving paper money in the bank like I'm doing right now.

Btw, my very mainstream self-described classical economist economics professor even thinks the U.S is headed for hyperinflation, of around 8%-14% sometime around 2012-2014. I found that interesting because it is my feeling as well.

I do not think that will be our coming dollar crisis however, but the results of current policies to supposedly help the economy.
    I GOT MY BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SCIENCE DEGREE IN MY HANDS AND RAN!!!!!!! THEY'RE NEVER GETTING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!

"It is dissent from government policies that defines the true patriot and champion of liberty."

- Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stary Hickory View Post
    yeah I had been saving up for some time when all this went through. I will not let leeches just suck me dry. So I am trying to move it to a safer place(what little I got).
    Its more than I got.

Just out of curiousity, is your gold real actual physical in your hot little hands gold, or some piece of paper representing your ownership of gold?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by justinc.1089 View Post
    How did you buy $4k of gold? Isn't it illegal to buy just plain gold and save it? I thought only gold in jewelry or whatever was legal to own for us common folk peasants...
    Are you kidding? You need to visit you local coin shop.

Jewelry is not an investment. You will be paying in the neighborhood of 10x melt value of the metal in it. If you want to invest in gold/silver, buy bullion (which is the same thing as coins).

Recommended reading: http://the-moneychanger.com/commandments.phtml

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's my story. We've been buying gold and silver for about 10 years now. Actually most of the gold came from Kentucky when my husband was working there. Mostly nuggets, some coins. Silver, mostly eagles. Anyway, at the end of July, my neighbor and his brother, who are always wheeling and dealing something. and pretty much drunk every night, came over and said look what we have. They had a silver eagle set of 18 coins, in an album, dated 1980 thru 2009. They also had 8 loose ones. They offered them to me @ $15.00 a piece. Sold..Cash money $390.00. A few days later they said that I got a good deal cause silver was up over $18.00. Well, duh. I told them you needed the money and I had the cash. Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    It's not limited to gold. Any transaction more than I believe, 600 dollars, has to be reported.
    A provision in the Health Care bill will be requiring coin shops (et. al.) to issue (and report) 1099s for transactions over $600 in 2012, but it's not in effect at the moment.

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/...o-health-bill/

Speculation is that this is a baby step towards implementing a VAT tax:

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-post-i-smell-vat

Currently, there is a $10K reporting requirement:
    If payment is made by cash greater than $10,000, however, it becomes a "cash reporting transaction." It is not the gold that the government wants reported but the cash. Such reporting applies to all business transactions involving more than $10,000 cash.

Regarding cash transactions, Official General Instructions for IRS Form 8300 read: "Who Must File. - Each person engaged in a trade or business who, during that trade or business, receives more than $10,000 in cash in one transaction or two or more related transactions must file Form 8300. Any transactions conducted between a payer (or its agent) and the recipient in a 24-hour period are related transactions.

This regulation applies to cash - greenbacks, paper money. It does not apply to personal checks, wire transfers, or money market withdrawals. When cashier's checks or money orders are involved, cash reporting may be triggered.

Form 8300's General Instructions define as cash "a cashier's check, bank draft, traveler's check, or money order having a face amount of not more than $10,000." Using a cashier's check less than $10,000 would be a "cash transaction," but it would not be reportable because it is less than $10,000. However, two cashier's checks, each less than $10,000 but totaling more than $10,000 for a single purchase, would be considered cash and subject to reporting.

Further clarification: If an investor makes a $15,000 investment in gold and pays with a single $15,000 cashier's check, it is not reportable. If, however, he pays with two or more cashier's checks each less than $10,000, the dealer would be obligated to report.

Cash reporting requirements were not written specifically for the precious metals industry but for all businesses. The purchase of a car, boat, or jewelry, and payment with two cashier's checks, each less than $10,000 but totaling more than $10,000, would be a reportable transaction.

Another example: an investor agrees to buy precious metals totaling more than $10,000, again say $15,000, and wants to make payments with money from two accounts. If the investor withdraws $8,000 from the first account and gets a cashier's check, and then gets another cashier's check for $7,000 from the second account, the transaction becomes reportable. A purchase of $30,000 and payment with two $15,000 cashier's checks would not be a reportable transaction. The significant amount is $10,000.

Personal checks or checks drawn on the payer's own account are not considered cash. Form 8300's General Instructions read: "Cash does not included a check drawn on the payer's own account, such as a personal check, regardless of the amount."
    http://www.certifiedmint.com/myths_lies.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Its more than I got.

Just out of curiousity, is your gold real actual physical in your hot little hands gold, or some piece of paper representing your ownership of gold?
    I got in coming in mail physical. I don't think I will buy more. This in addition to what I already have is like 40% of my savings. I will wait and see what happens next. I have been living very frugaly saving for a house, and now I am worried it will get wiped out. Really sucks.

Thanks, Bern. I was thinking it went into effect in 2011; at least glad to know it's not until 2012.

Would you explain this though. I don't get the rationale. If they're trying to track cash, why would they care about the 2 cashier's checks less than 10K, but not care about the one for 15K?
    Further clarification: If an investor makes a $15,000 investment in gold and pays with a single $15,000 cashier's check, it is not reportable. If, however, he pays with two or more cashier's checks each less than $10,000, the dealer would be obligated to report.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 10-14-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks, Bern. I was thinking it went into effect in 2011; at least glad to know it's not until 2012.
    I am pretty sure it is January 2011.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

I know the sweet feeling of buying gold I buy coins myself. Have about 115 grams now (almost 4 ounces). I buy silver coins too (1.2 kilo right now) but here there is VAT tax on silver. Only gold is exempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I am pretty sure it is January 2011.
    No it is 2012 just checked to make sure

... Would you explain this though. I don't get the rationale. If they're trying to track cash, why would they care about the 2 cashier's checks less than 10K, but not care about the one for 15K?
    I don't know. I didn't make the law.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Would you explain this though. I don't get the rationale. If they're trying to track cash, why would they care about the 2 cashier's checks less than 10K, but not care about the one for 15K?
    That sounds like a good question for Live_Free_Or_Die. According to him, any time there's an inconsistency in the law, it results from a vast segment of society having some belief that that law codifies.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=264098

So apparently there must be a vast segment of society that thinks the government needs to track single cashiers checks above $15k, but not pairs of cashiers checks of $10k each.

It's most likely the Christians who are behind this.
    Last edited by erowe1; 10-14-2010 at 04:07 PM.

I'm more into buying real estate than precious metals, but I'll probably buy a little bit in precious metals so as to have a more transferable item in the worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    A provision in the Health Care bill will be requiring coin shops (et. al.) to issue (and report) 1099s for transactions over $600 in 2012, but it's not in effect at the moment.
    Which is stupid because all anyone needs to do is buy in increments of 599.00 to avoid reporting. Yeah it's a hassle but whatever it takes to work around the tyranny.

We have our money in junk silver for trading purposes, and numismatic gold for wealth protection, because numismatic probably won't fall under any confiscation laws. Since we first bought, our coins have gone up almost 400.00 a coin.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Which is stupid because all anyone needs to do is buy in increments of 599.00 to avoid reporting. Yeah it's a hassle but whatever it takes to work around the tyranny.
    I'm not an expert on this subject, but I believe that the 600 threshold isn't limited to a single transaction. It might be the sum total over the course of a month, for example - requiring the shop owner to keep records on practically every sale. Again, I'm not entirely sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post

We have our money in junk silver for trading purposes, and numismatic gold for wealth protection, because numismatic probably won't fall under any confiscation laws. Since we first bought, our coins have gone up almost 400.00 a coin.
    I'm going to retract this until I find a good source to back up my statement.
    Last edited by Original_Intent; 10-14-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I'm going to retract this until I find a good source to back up my statement.
    Well, at least PM me and tell me what you wrote. I'm curious.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast