Thread: Chris Christie wins VATP straw poll - Palin, Ron Paul in close second and third

Chris Christie wins VATP straw poll - Palin, Ron Paul in close second and third

Via twitter:

Gov. Chris Christie wins POTUS straw poll @ VA T-Party convention, followed by Gov. Sarah Palin and in 3rd, Rep. Ron Paul.

MOD Update:
    RICHMOND -- The surprise winner of the 2012 straw poll at the Virginia Tea Patriots Convention -- announced by a literal drum roll -- is Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.). He won 14% of the vote in a 15-way ballot, beating Sarah Palin (13.5%), Ron Paul (12.5%), Newt Gingrich (8.4%), and Jim DeMint (7.3%), in a poll of 1,560 attendees -- at least twice as large as the news-making Values Voter straw poll, if I'm remembering correctly.

Also on the ballot, although the full results weren't read: Bobby Jindal, Mike Huckabee, Mitch Daniels, Michele Bachmann, Mike Pence, Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Santorum -- who actually attended the conference. (Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton also appeared on the poll, sort of as a joke.)
    Last edited by MRoCkEd; 10-09-2010 at 04:11 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder if the votes were taken before or after the speeches (or presentations, whatever), and if everyone heard Ron's.

Why is Ron even at these Tea Party conventions?

Quote Originally Posted by fahayek View Post
    To spread the message!

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    I wonder if the votes were taken before or after the speeches (or presentations, whatever), and if everyone heard Ron's.
    Ron spoke earlier.

Palin? WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    To spread the message!
    It looks like people paid attention. Palin finished ahead of him

Bummer on Ron's 3rd place... Christie is Gulianni's buddy and part of the establishment, even though he's cleaning up 4 decades of mess in New Jersey.

Nice piece about the Virginia Tea party interview:

[h2]Tea Party Groups Join Forces[/h2]
    Jamie Radtke, president of the Richmond Tea Party and chairwoman of the Federation of Virginia Tea Party Patriots, talks about the group's growing ambitions and plans.

http://online.wsj.com/video/strong-b...ideocarousel_3
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

It was close for the top 3:
    RICHMOND -- The surprise winner of the 2012 straw poll at the Virginia Tea Patriots Convention -- announced by a literal drum roll -- is Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.). He won 14% of the vote in a 15-way ballot, beating Sarah Palin (13.5%), Ron Paul (12.5%), Newt Gingrich (8.4%), and Jim DeMint (7.3%), in a poll of 1,560 attendees -- at least twice as large as the news-making Values Voter straw poll, if I'm remembering correctly.

Also on the ballot, although the full results weren't read: Bobby Jindal, Mike Huckabee, Mitch Daniels, Michele Bachmann, Mike Pence, Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Santorum -- who actually attended the conference. (Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton also appeared on the poll, sort of as a joke.)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Imagine if Paul ran with Christie as his VP. It would easily garner both the libertarian and conservative vote.

It was close for the top 3:
    Yep, Ron ended up about 25 votes short of the winner, in a conference of about 1500 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Via twitter:

Gov. Chris Christie wins POTUS straw poll @ VA T-Party convention, followed by Gov. Sarah Palin and in 3rd, Rep. Ron Paul.

MOD Update:
    <<<facepalm>>>

The Ghoul and the Fat Man.

FFS
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

I suspect the gop and the tea parties will fail if they do not follow ron paul's platform!! I can only make sure my vote counts!! I do not think the gop or tea party folks will do well in 2010 election unless they are truly liberty-oriented, this is my only hope! let the chips fall where they may! I can only hope gop establishment and the tea party hi-jackers fall on their faces in nov!!
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

It's okay. Ron Paul is establishing himself as a serious contender. Someone who won CPAC, came right behind Romney at SRLC, and got a solid third above Gingrich at the tea party convention is no fringe candidate.

This was a strong finish, and it isn't surprising to see Christie win. They are rewarding him for being a strong fiscal conservative and getting results in NJ of all places. He won for the right reasons.

At least they aren't choosing Romney. And Ron was not far behind, so why the negativity?
    "It is our true policy to steer clear of entangling alliances with any portion of the foreign world. "
    George Washington

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations"
    James Madison

It's okay. Ron Paul is establishing himself as a serious contender. Someone who won CPAC, came right behind Romney at SRLC, and got a solid third above Gingrich at the tea party convention is no fringe candidate.
    i hope so, i am getting very nervous for the gop!!! They have to see the writing on the wall!!!!

somedays i think hmm they get it! Then other days i am like wow they are clueless!!

Im under the impression that consistent top 3 finishes is solid. This is fine. Now lets waive the $#@! out of signs on the NOV5TH!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    <<<facepalm>>>

The Ghoul and the Fat Man.

FFS
    At least Gingrich didn't win. I can deal with Christie and Palin edging out RP but Gingrich would have been unacceptable.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Agreed. Go Ron and all supporters who are voting him up and spreading the message for his 2012 WIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmhudak17 View Post
    Imagine if Paul ran with Christie as his VP. It would easily garner both the libertarian and conservative vote.
    This ticket would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TXcarlosTX View Post
    Im under the impression that consistent top 3 finishes is solid. This is fine. Now lets waive the $#@! out of signs on the NOV5TH!!
    i hear ya, i am thinking of using my big ron paul 2008 blue signs and holding them over overpasses and taking pics on nov 5th! i figured i can cover summit and eagle counties on i-70 on nov 5th!!
    RON PAUL 2012
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=103347796396805
    Last edited by speciallyblend; 10-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulitics View Post
    This was a strong finish, and it isn't surprising to see Christie win. They are rewarding him for being a strong fiscal conservative and getting results in NJ of all places. He won for the right reasons.

At least they aren't choosing Romney. And Ron was not far behind, so why the negativity?
    + rep

Quote Originally Posted by fahayek View Post
    So he can win the GOP nomination?

This is a WIN WIN WIN folks!

I don't think that the Ron Paul brigade invaded this event like we typically do to all the other events and the upside of that is that we are polling really well with the conservative base.

If we were polling 2 points behind the leading GOP contender nationwide could anyone really complain?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    So he can win the GOP nomination?
    so GOP and Tea Party are synonymous?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was at the event. People could vote anytime on Friday or Saturday. Ron Paul spoke Saturday afternoon, so most votes were in before he spoke. His speech was his normal spiel, and he got a good reception.

This convention was NOT crashed at all by paul people - looking at the Straw poll voting line, most everyone was older and probably retired.

Ron Paul got a solid result. Too bad he didn't win, but it's a good result.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    I was at the event. People could vote anytime on Friday or Saturday. Ron Paul spoke Saturday afternoon, so most votes were in before he spoke. His speech was his normal spiel, and he got a good reception.

This convention was NOT crashed at all by paul people - looking at the Straw poll voting line, most everyone was older and probably retired.

Ron Paul got a solid result. Too bad he didn't win, but it's a good result.
    I hear you i am so jealous, i just hope folks do what is needed ! Which is register republican and become delegates!! If Ron Paul supporters cannot do this simple thing. We might as well support mickey mouse in the lp!!

Christie has absolutely no interest in running, he's given a pretty blunt response to that.