Thread: SF Chronicle: Tea Partier Parties With Pot

SF Chronicle: Tea Partier Parties With Pot

From the SF Chronicle:

For all their passion, Tea Party members struggle with consistency: the cries for fiscal conservatism stop at national defense, where big spending is encouraged, and calls for personal freedoms stop at the war on drugs, where use of personal chemicals is restricted.

Not so for John Dennis. The San Francisco Republican - a frequent attendee of Tea Party events who is waging a perhaps quixotic war to unseat most-powerful San Franciscan Nancy Pelosi, to whom he has referred as a "wicked witch" - made a campaign stop Sunday at the Cow Palace, where the International Cannabis and Hemp Expo was in full swing. His campaign even altered its signage for the marijuana-appropriate occasion: instead of red, white and blue, the name John Dennis was featured next to Rastafarian red, gold and green. Instead of a star, there's a pot leaf.

The new signage caught Dennis slightly off guard: "Volunteers in my campaign came up with the idea," he said. "I didn't even know they had made the posters [until the weekend], but I think it's definitely appropriate for the venue."

Dennis spent "about an hour" at the event on Sunday. While not every attendee was a San Francisco voter, Dennis says he was met with nothing but kindness and support.

"People were very mellow," he said. "They were pleased we were picking up on this issue."

While he says he neither partakes nor promotes use of the miracle plant - "I'm not telling people to go out and smoke pot, but if you do, it's your choice and your responsibility" - the Pacific Heights resident has made his support of marijuana semi-legalization measure Proposition 19 no secret. He's attended Americans for Safe Access meetings, and endorsed Proposition 19 as early as July.

However, Sunday's stop was a definite step towards embracing the medical cannabis community, a voting bloc few would associate with the Tea Party movement. But for Dennis, it makes perfect sense.

"In 23 years in the House, what has Nancy Pelosi done for that crowd?" Dennis asked.

"80 percent of San Francisco voters say they think marijuana should be legal. She's out of step [with her constituency]."
    Interested in politics? Check out Red Racing Horses for daily updates on electoral politics, redistricting, and the presidential campaigns.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh gosh, they had to use the word "Quixotic." Begone, 2007 flashbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Oh gosh, they had to use the word "Quixotic." Begone, 2007 flashbacks!
    It says "perhaps quixotic". It's an improvement.

For all their passion, Tea Party members struggle with consistency: the cries for fiscal conservatism stop at national defense, where big spending is encouraged, and calls for personal freedoms stop at the war on drugs, where use of personal chemicals is restricted.
    Once again, painting us with the collectivist brush. Why is it these days that anything from .000001% to 49.999% of a group makes people think that they can paint the whole group with that brush?

"Wow, saw one guy at a Tea Party event with an Obama as Hitler sign. Either he disagrees with fascism, or he is a racist. Let's go with racist and label them all that way! Wait till Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann hear about this!"
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    "Wow, saw one guy at a Tea Party event with an Obama as Hitler sign. Either he disagrees with fascism, or he is a racist."
    He's actually almost certainly neither, but rather one of the Lyndon LaRouche people.

(Lyndon LaRouche is probably the only political figure who has a cadre of supporters even more devoted than Ron Paul's).

Slight correction: This was the SFAppeal not the Chronicle. That would be a major coup to have the Chronicle mentioning Dennis. At the moment, they're completely ignoring him.

John Dennis is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVonMisoSoup View Post
    Slight correction: This was the SFAppeal not the Chronicle. That would be a major coup to have the Chronicle mentioning Dennis. At the moment, they're completely ignoring him.
    You should be able to change your title if you want

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    You should be able to change your title if you want
    Not my thread but maybe the OP can do so.