Thread: Issue: Immigration: Legal Immigration?

Issue: Immigration: Legal Immigration?

I know Ron Paul is adamantly against illegal immigration. But how does he feel about legal immigration? As someone who is trying to legally immigrate myself (Yes, I'm aware I cannot vote, lol, but I still like to be informed and support candidates by raising awareness), I realize the process is incredibly expensive, beaurocratic, and time consuming. Given Ron Paul's penchant for smaller goverment offices, what has he said about streamlining the USCIS in order for competent immigrants to be able to do so legally? Additionally, how does he feel about the process for getting work visas for temproary employment in the US?

Thanks. any information would be helpful.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am also interested in hearing this.
    "I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Religion divides humanity. Country enforces that division. Faith, nationalism and pride are the drugs of choice.

http://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Ron_Paul.htm shows how he voted.

I'm not totally up to speed on all the immigration issues, but I think it's the "illegal" and uncontrolled part that troubles him more than immigration itself.

I can't imagine why Paul would be against legal immigration. Some of the most ardent patriots (like myself ) are legal immigrants who value America deeply.

I have intense loathing for people who speak favorably of illegal immigration though. Illegal immigration is a scourge of modern America. For one, it's incredibly racist. Do Hispanics have some God-given right to North America just because they're close? Doesn't the African, European, or Asian deserve the same opportunity? Why do we discriminate against the African or European? It's terrible for national security. It's terrible for our national cohesion. Se habla espanol? It's bad for culture, it's bad for our inner cities. It's bad for human rights (the illegal immigrants can testify to that). The only good it does is for the illegal immigrants and for the elites who look through their green-colored glasses and see more $$$.
    "He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his own enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

The problem of illegal immigration from the Southern border stems from the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of 1848. The treaty granted provisions for Mexican citizens to travel freely back and forth across the border for business and family visitations. As far as I know, the treaty has never been amended. If it has, someone please enlighten me. Given that premise, immigration by Mexican citizens constitutes a blurry vision of its legality. One of the problems it poses is that it has opened the door to other Central Americans to cross the border illegally.

What Ron Paul said in one of the debates is that first, we must physically secure the borders, then go about reforming immigration policy and over time, send the undocumented back to their countries and require them to follow due process if they still wish to come here. I believe Ron Paul looks favorably on legal immigration and would work toward a policy that creates a less onerous process that ensures the integrity of our borders.

The vision that Ron Paul has for the country would take a long time to implement. I don't think it would complete within two Presidential terms, but he would make a significant dent in the problems left behind by the Progressive Neo-Conservatives. The best he would be able to accomplish is change everyone's attitude about what America is and the role of government. Once that's firmly implanted into the mainstream consciousness it will just be a matter of time for everything to manifest - secure borders, rational immigration policy, sound money, limited government, no more income tax, no more federal reserve printing money and more individual liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by lbadragan View Post
    I can't imagine why Paul would be against legal immigration. Some of the most ardent patriots (like myself ) are legal immigrants who value America deeply.

I have intense loathing for people who speak favorably of illegal immigration though. Illegal immigration is a scourge of modern America. For one, it's incredibly racist. Do Hispanics have some God-given right to North America just because they're close? Doesn't the African, European, or Asian deserve the same opportunity? Why do we discriminate against the African or European? It's terrible for national security. It's terrible for our national cohesion. Se habla espanol? It's bad for culture, it's bad for our inner cities. It's bad for human rights (the illegal immigrants can testify to that). The only good it does is for the illegal immigrants and for the elites who look through their green-colored glasses and see more $$$.
    Well said.
    "I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Religion divides humanity. Country enforces that division. Faith, nationalism and pride are the drugs of choice.

thanks for the replies! It was helpful.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.