Thread: Is there any career that's reasonable safe to pursue?

Is there any career that's reasonable safe to pursue?

College student, about to give up and quit because the uncertainty created by our rotten politicians has made it impossible to plan for the future and impossible to predict what degree will lead to a viable job. I'm attracted to medicine, but good luck getting a loan to pay for medical school after interest rates explode and the dollar collapses, and even if you can get one, good luck paying it back after the government taxes you more and pays you less. I'm attracted to accounting and finance, but the financial sector is already ruined. Supposedly computer science is a strong area, but I know nothing about that. Supposedly agriculture is strong, but I know nothing about that either. I would be attracted to an academic career arguing in favor of rational economics, but with universities slashing their budgets, good luck making it through grad school and finding a job. So I'm pretty unhappy about things and pretty close to quitting. Thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you want a traditional career, have you thought about the medical field? I know there's some volatility due to Obamacare, but you're practically guaranteed a job.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

focus on doing what you want versus the income especially if you are assuming everything is going to crash anyways.

I would think of a position that you know could be there after all that happens, medical field would be great whether the dollar tanks or not. If anything with the insurance health care tanking maybe docs will be able to actually negotiate prices with patients on a patient to patient basis as it should be.

no need for the insurance companies but doctors and nurses will always be needed and would end up making more once out of the governments control + what is better than someone who can save your life especially if the $#@! hits the fan.

as far as science, that is a great one as well but funding would be pretty hard unless you had high end eco donations coming in since the government grants would be gone

the financial deal is b.s. there is no point in getting into something simply to help others make money based on the fact that others are losing their ass.

best suggestion

find something you like
    invest or design something that can help
    go into business for yourself

the next big boom in my opinion will be "internet real estate", it is fluid and can transfer into any currency in seconds if needed as well as reach a large amount of people without any licensing or other local b.s. to deal with (aside from taxes, if you are so inclined to pay them)

I would never let our economy dictate whether you stay in school though, if you are doing something that can better YOU then how can it be a waste at all?
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

Quote Originally Posted by BRG253 View Post
    So I'm pretty unhappy about things and pretty close to quitting.
    The way I read the OP made me wonder whether there are people important to you who might be disappointed if you quit -- or that your decisionmaking might be painted by your perception that they might.

I also could be thinking that because I've seen it before

What part makes you unhappy?

Are you close to being sure you want to quit? Or are you sure, and close to quitting?
    Last edited by nayjevin; 09-26-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    The way I read the OP made me wonder whether there are people important to you who might be disappointed if you quit -- or that your decisionmaking might be painted by your perception that they might.

I also could be thinking that because I've seen it before

What part makes you unhappy?

Are you close to being sure you want to quit? Or are you sure, and close to quitting?
    I don't care about anyone else's opinion. I just don't have any confidence that I'll be able to get a job that will allow me to pay my loans back. I'm so apprehensive about the economic situation that it's difficult for me continue -- seems like the government is on pace to destroy all career opportunities.
    Last edited by BRG253; 09-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post
    I would never let our economy dictate whether you stay in school though, if you are doing something that can better YOU then how can it be a waste at all?
    The goal is to get a job that will allow me to survive the Great Depression II. If I don't, then I've just gone tens of thousands of dollars into debt for nothing.

The goal is to get a job that will allow me to survive the Great Depression II. If I don't, then I've just gone tens of thousands of dollars into debt for nothing.
    if the great depression 2 happened I don't think I would worry about that "debt" it would be gone as will anyones actual assets within the bank

how can a bank take nothing from nothing? they aint the federal reserve lol

Why are you worried about debt if you think the dollar is going to lose its value?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    if the great depression 2 happened I don't think I would worry about that "debt" it would be gone as will anyones actual assets within the bank

how can a bank take nothing from nothing? they aint the federal reserve lol

a loan to pay for medical school after interest rates explode and the dollar collapses,
    Does Federal reserve interest rate related to college loans?
    The finest virtue of a great thinker is the magnanimity with which, as a man of knowledge, he intrepidly, often with embarrassment, often with sublime mockery – offers himself and his life as a supreme sacrifice.

College student, about to give up and quit because the uncertainty created by our rotten politicians has made it impossible to plan for the future and impossible to predict what degree will lead to a viable job. I'm attracted to medicine, but good luck getting a loan to pay for medical school after interest rates explode and the dollar collapses, and even if you can get one, good luck paying it back after the government taxes you more and pays you less. I'm attracted to accounting and finance, but the financial sector is already ruined. Supposedly computer science is a strong area, but I know nothing about that. Supposedly agriculture is strong, but I know nothing about that either. I would be attracted to an academic career arguing in favor of rational economics, but with universities slashing their budgets, good luck making it through grad school and finding a job. So I'm pretty unhappy about things and pretty close to quitting. Thoughts?
    I would suggest going into medical. Who cares about Obamacare. If the Repuglicans don't repeal it (I wouldn't count on it) then it will collapse under its own weight and then you'll be ready to profit without the restrictions of government intervention. It is my opinion that instituting national health care in most situtations would last for a while but putting Obamacare into effect in the current economic climate with a country that is already bankrupt will be devastating.

I wold also learn how to garden, work on cars, build stuff, build wind turbines from DC motors, making bio diesel, and anything you'll see people needing in a disaster scenario if you think we're headed that way.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

You said you're attracted to medicine. Why not nursing? You can become a nurse with less than 3 years schooling. Lots of nurses have AAs. I think nurses get around $25 an hour? How far along in school are you?

"reasonably safe"?

It seems the only safe jobs are govt jobs. So look into what you need to learn to become a blood sucking leech and you should be set.

But to be helpful. If you are well on your way to a bachelors, you might consider nursing. Finish that up and you can quickly move onto becoming an NP, which is a pretty good career.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 09-27-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Is there any career that's reasonable safe to pursue?
    Careers in the Grammar Police Force will always be available.

(reasonable -> reasonably)

nursing. 3 day work week, high pay. cons: blood and guts
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    nursing. 3 day work week, high pay. cons: blood and guts
    that and you will soon be working for the govt.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    I would suggest going into medical. Who cares about Obamacare. If the Repuglicans don't repeal it (I wouldn't count on it) then it will collapse under its own weight and then you'll be ready to profit without the restrictions of government intervention. It is my opinion that instituting national health care in most situtations would last for a while but putting Obamacare into effect in the current economic climate with a country that is already bankrupt will be devastating.

I wold also learn how to garden, work on cars, build stuff, build wind turbines from DC motors, making bio diesel, and anything you'll see people needing in a disaster scenario if you think we're headed that way.
    Safe ?
    Nothing is safe, but this is good advice.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

United Nations ambassador to Outer Space?

OK seriously - I'd avoid becoming a wage slave and find something you enjoy doing, get whatever education you need to do it. If it is something high tech, I would develop as many side skills as you can that would be useful in a more agrarian society.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work a day in your life.
    - CONFUCIOUS.

If you hate your job, no matter what the income potential is, you will not make any money in it because you will avoid pushing your limits and excelling beyond your peers.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    Find a job you love to do, and you will never work a day in your life.
    - CONFUCIOUS.
    Being self-employed is a sure-fire way to have the meanest, slave-driving $#@! boss possible.
    --specs

Change majors. Become a criminal defense attorney. Specialize in drug arrest or Constitutional infringements. I am sure you will find plenty of work in the near future.

I dropped out of college for the same reasons -- zero faith that "sticking it out" would result in any kind of discernable payoff. I had reached the point of diminishing returns, as it were.

I don't regret dropping out, but I was never interested in a career field that required a certification from the state (like medicine).

I second the suggestion of nursing, if you're interested in medicine. Schooling required is minimal, and you could live anywhere you wanted to and probably still be able to find a job. Another option is to become a paramedic; yet another option is radiology, which offers various levels of certification requiring various levels of schooling.

Good luck to you. I sympathize with your predicament. The future's a veritable black hole these days.

I forgot to mention that I have arthritis and that my choices are limited to what I am physically capable of doing. I need a career where I can work with my mind instead of my body. I'm not crippled, but I can't stay on my feet for 8 hours a day to be a nurse. There are niches in medicine which don't necessarily require much standing/walking which is why I can entertain that possibility. But nursing is out.
    Last edited by BRG253; 09-27-2010 at 03:29 PM.