Thread: Billionaire Libertarians Biggest Contributors To Tea Party

Billionaire Libertarians Biggest Contributors To Tea Party

The News is reporting that the biggest contributors to the Tea Party are life long libertarians and billionaires, David and Charles Koch.

One of them started the "Americans for Prosperity Foundation", which trains Tea Party activists. Of course the following news articles considers their wealth and libertarian background as proof of their sinister intent. However my observation is that they run things like true libertarians...unlike the current administration they seem to prefer a hands off approach (no micromanaging).

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...0fa_fact_mayer

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On page 5 in the article

Of course, Democrats give money, too. Their most prominent donor, the financier George Soros, runs a foundation, the Open Society Institute, that has spent as much as a hundred million dollars a year in America. Soros has also made generous private contributions to various Democratic campaigns, including Obama’s.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...#ixzz0zPd6bn3i

The article also mentions "the John Birch Society", Glen Beck, Friedrich von Hayek...saying: "Members of the John Birch Society developed an interest in a school of Austrian economists who promoted free-market ideals.
    Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...#ixzz0zPe7J5xF

Its a hit peace.

As therepublic said, its funny when they say that the difference with Soros is that Soros gives money against his own interest... according to who?

Video: George Soros On Global Governance

Yes hugolp, it seems to be a counter attack of what Glen Beck has been reporting concerning George Soros and his backing of the Democratic Party, and moving the Country toward a progressive agenda,.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/16220...ic_trends.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,593583,00.html
    Last edited by romacox; 09-13-2010 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hugolp View Post
    Its a hit peace.
    Ironically, they are not even "Libertarians", either:

Since 1984, Koch has been a Republican...
    Koch currently serves on the boards of directors of the libertarian Cato Institute and the Reason Foundation. His brother, Charles Koch, has also been active in organizing and funding foundations and think-tanks such as the Cato Institute.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_H._Koch
    ^^^

These are the same people who attacked Ron Paul in 2008.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

$#@! the Koch brothers

~~~Forum Asshole & Resident Annoying Leftist~~~
    ~~Member of BAFC (Blame America First Crowd)~~

"The natural wage of labor is its product." -- Benjamin R. Tucker

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by RedStripe View Post
    $#@! the Koch brothers
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

Umm... I'll pass you can have the Koch brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Vidual View Post
    Ironically, they are not even "Libertarians", either:

Since 1984, Koch has been a Republican...
    Koch currently serves on the boards of directors of the libertarian Cato Institute and the Reason Foundation. His brother, Charles Koch, has also been active in organizing and funding foundations and think-tanks such as the Cato Institute.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_H._Koch
    ^^^

These are the same people who attacked Ron Paul in 2008.
    The Cato institute was initially founded by the Koch brothers for Murray Rothbard. But Murray Rothbard did not want to compromise as the Koch brothers wanted, so he had to leave and then went with Lew Rockwell to the Mises Institute.

Google the kochtopus.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^^^
    ...and Bob Barr "runs" the LP now + the "Tea parties" feature Sarah Palin, so where do the real Libertarians go?
    // Maybe we can take over the Rep party.
    Last edited by Indy Vidual; 09-13-2010 at 02:03 PM.

The Cato institute was initially founded by the Koch brothers for Murray Rothbard. But Murray Rothbard did not want to compromise as the Koch brothers wanted, so he had to leave and then went with Lew Rockwell to the Mises Institute.

Google the kochtopus.
    Thanks for the lead hugolp: I did Google kochtopus, and found some very interesting info on Lou Rockwel's website.

Three main issues led to the irreparable rupture. First, as I have already mentioned, Austrian economics was central to Rothbard’s system. He did not embrace all economists who more or less favored a free market: quite the contrary, he wished sharply to differentiate Austrian economics from the Chicago School. This is not the place to discuss the theoretical differences between the two approaches, but one issue in dispute assumed great importance later. Austrian economics is in itself a value free science, but Austrian economists, like Rothbard, fully committed to a free society, rely on Austrian monetary theory to demand a return to the gold standard and abolition of the Federal Reserve System. The Chicago School strongly disagrees. The greatest representative of Chicago economics, Milton Friedman, thought that the monetary authority should follow a fixed rule of moderate expansion and held a diametrically opposed theory of the causes of the Great Depression of 1929 to Rothbard’s.

In the years since Rothbard’s break with Cato, the Institute has no longer supported the abolition of the Fed. Quite the contrary, the Institute now endeavors to attract high officials of that organization to participate in its seminars and conferences. The aim now is to influence policy in Washington. Legislators who wish to restore the gold standard, Ron Paul chief among them, are shunned and defamed.
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/gordon/gordon37.html

Question: I have read that Milton Friedman advocated the "trickle down theory", which is basically corporate welfare. Do you have any info/ links concerning this?
    Last edited by romacox; 09-13-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by romacox View Post
    Question: I have read that Milton Friedman advocated the "trickle down theory", which is basically corporate welfare. Do you have any info/ links concerning this?
    I am not that knowledgeable of all this trickle down bull$#@! and monetarism so take this with a grain of salt, but for what I have read, Milton Friedman did not propose or support trickle down economics. But trickle down economics was popular among monetarist economists. Therefore the "lefties" use the connection to smear Milton Friedman.

I am not that knowledgeable of all this trickle down bull$#@! and monetarism so take this with a grain of salt, but for what I have read, Milton Friedman did not propose or support trickle down economics. But trickle down economics was popular among monetarist economists. Therefore the "lefties" use the connection to smear Milton Friedman.
    hugolp, I am no expert on this subject, only inquisitive. However according to Lou Rockwell's website Milton Friedman and Cato institute oppose Ron Paul's move to abolish the Federal Reserve, and adhere more to the Chicago form of Austrian economics.

Many supporters of Ron Paul do not realize that CATO institute is not a backer of Ron Paul, and that Milton Friedman has his "own version of Austrian economics" which is very different from that of Ron Paul. http://www.lewrockwell.com/gordon/gordon37.html

YouTube - Milton Friedman: The Purpose of the Federal Reserve

Fractional Reserve Banking is totally unethical. It expands the money supply and allows banks to collect interest they don't deserve. I'll never trust another bank.

Romacox I am well aware of how Cato treated Ron Paul. But Ron Paul went there after his campaign to give a conference, and sometimes they produce good articles. I dont trust them, but they are not the devil.

Romacox I am well aware of how Cato treated Ron Paul. But Ron Paul went there after his campaign to give a conference, and sometimes they produce good articles. I dont trust them, but they are not the devil.
    I can't disagree with that. But I am still curious. I know that Milton Friedman would not abolish the Federal Reserve. But does he and the Koshes promote the "trickle Down Theory" called "corporate welfare" by Strossel and "corporatism" by Ron Paul?...which basically gives taxpayer money (in the form of bail outs, and subsidies) to some corporations. The idea being that if you give welfare to them, it will trickle down to the middle class...NAFTA is an example.
    Last edited by romacox; 09-13-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by romacox View Post
    I can't disagree with that. But I am still curious. I know that Milton Friedman would not abolish the Federal Reserve. But does he and the Koshes promote the "trickle Down Theory" called "corporate welfare" by Strossel and "corporatism" by Ron Paul?...which basically gives taxpayer money (in the form of bail outs, and subsidies) to some corporations. The idea being that if you give welfare to them, it will trickle down to the middle class...NAFTA is an example.
    That is basically called Mercantilism and is an old system easily refuted (It was also a big reason we fought the Revolutionary War..). Yes, Milton & Koch promoted parts of it. I wouldn't call them Mercantilists though unlike Paleo-Cons who have a huge hard on for it.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.