Thread: North Carolina cops push for access to drug prescription records

Thumbs down North Carolina cops push for access to drug prescription records

North Carolina cops push for access to drug prescription records

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/09/c...ption-records/

Proposal turns 'sufferers into suspects,' critics say

The North Carolina Sheriffs' Association is pushing the state to open up drug prescription records to police in search of painkiller abusers, a move that has raised alarms among privacy advocates.

The Charlotte News & Observer reports that sheriffs made their proposal to a health care committee working on the problem of prescription drug abuse.

"We take that information, we could go and check against that database and see if that person, in fact, appears to be doctor shopping and obtaining prescriptions for the purpose of resell, which is illegal," said Sheriff Samuel S. Page, president of the sheriffs' association.

But privacy advocates worry that opening the state's database of painkiller prescriptions to police would effectively turn pain sufferers into suspects in criminal cases.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are a few things the people can do to put these over reaching folks back in their place.

1. Determine who funds the Sherriffs association and encourage backers to pull funding.

2. The voter/taxpayers need to push the county governments to pull funding for the sherriffs. Since the office of sheriff is constitionally mandated in NC the people could then work to change the constitution so that the Sheriff's office can be eliminated.

If people can make a serious effort on these two fronts, even if it is not fully sucessful, these clowns may just back off.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    There are a few things the people can do to put these over reaching folks back in their place.

1. Determine who funds the Sherriffs association and encourage backers to pull funding.

2. The voter/taxpayers need to push the county governments to pull funding for the sherriffs. Since the office of sheriff is constitionally mandated in NC the people could then work to change the constitution so that the Sheriff's office can be eliminated.

If people can make a serious effort on these two fronts, even if it is not fully sucessful, these clowns may just back off.
    except that sadly too many people will think that this is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    Not according to the comments on the N&O site (Raleigh, by the way, not Charlotte). I'd guess that the comments are running 20:1 against.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/09/...ts-sought.html
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Not according to the comments on the N&O site (Raleigh, by the way, not Charlotte). I'd guess that the comments are running 20:1 against.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/09/...ts-sought.html
    That's wonderful news. I guess I'm just to jaded these days. Thanks for setting me straight.

That's wonderful news. I guess I'm just to jaded these days. Thanks for setting me straight.
    To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised at that one myself. I keep close tabs on the N&O site just to gauge the local temperature/climate, and I post quite a bit in the comments. I have not actually commented on this story, as the prevailing winds did not seem to need my help in this case. I may be jaded myself as I anticipated maybe 50/50 pro/against on this story, and when I saw the comments I was quite buoyed.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

What the Hell is wrong with this state?

Perhaps it's because of my inexperience with the law enforcement of other states, but why does it always seem to me that North Carolina police officers are some of the most power hungry there are.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just went and got my hair chopped, and Judge Nap was all over Fox News talking about how stupid this was. Took that outstanding opportunity to canvass the barber shop!

Why not allow cops access to banking data. You never know? They could find out who has done a "suspicious" transaction.

What if we allow them access to all our internet accounts? You never know. Someone could be visiting some "suspicious" web sites.

Why don't we put a tracking device on every vehicle? Then crimes could be narrowed down to the vehicles that were in the vicinity were the crime took place.

This supposed need for private information is getting out of hand.

Alabama and many other SE states already have this. It sucks, I'm a pharmacist and am required to submit info on customers who have little to no idea it's going on.

"Law enforcement agencies shall pre-register with the Prescription Drug
    Monitoring Program to receive an ID and password to access a request form. Law enforcement agencies will request a report from the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program on an individual or health care licensee and will certify that requested information is pursuant to an active investigation."

This is the pertinent section of AL law regarding cops.

Kinda makes you wonder why the government wants health care under its grasp.

Today it is prescription records.

Tomorrow it will be blood work, DNA swabs and urine/hair testing records.

Let's install cameras in all NC cops' houses, in order to ensure that they're not beating their kids.

Really, it's the only responsible thing to do, for the sake of the children. If we save just one child from abuse it will be worth it.

Better make sure there's one in every room, wouldn't want them to be able to hide it.

Who'll start the petition?
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

I think you greatly underestimated the number of "respectable" people that are helplessly addicted to prescription drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

Think about that . They have a no fly list that has 30,000 names on it and are unable to manage it . What will happen with the 300 million people health care list ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Think about that . They have a no fly list that has 30,000 names on it and are unable to manage it . What will happen with the 300 million people health care list ?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why not allow cops access to banking data. You never know? They could find out who has done a "suspicious" transaction.

What if we allow them access to all our internet accounts? You never know. Someone could be visiting some "suspicious" web sites.

Why don't we put a tracking device on every vehicle? Then crimes could be narrowed down to the vehicles that were in the vicinity were the crime took place.

This supposed need for private information is getting out of hand.
    Coming soon, coming soon, just wait and see, parts of what you wrote are already happening.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by tremendoustie View Post
    Let's install cameras in all NC cops' houses, in order to ensure that they're not beating their kids.

Really, it's the only responsible thing to do, for the sake of the children. If we save just one child from abuse it will be worth it.

Better make sure there's one in every room, wouldn't want them to be able to hide it.

Who'll start the petition?
    I for one will sign this today.....screw 'em all...'cept the children of course...
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

Aaaaand they are trying again, only this time it looks like it's going to pass.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...hout-a-Warrant

I thought the government already had access to all of your medical records. Didn't Obama give them that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I thought the government already had access to all of your medical records. Didn't Obama give them that?
    The failed 2010 bill, the successful 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017 bills, and the currently considered 2018 bill hand that power to local cops. The 2018 bill currently may remove the warrant requirement from local cops and certified diversion investigators, while retaining the warrant requirement for Sheriffs.