Thread: CNN: gold = major bubble, chinese economy = a bubble, T-Bonds = not a bubble

CNN: gold = major bubble, chinese economy = a bubble, T-Bonds = not a bubble

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retir...anaging_wealth

5 Investing Bubbles
    Stephen Gandel, Contributor
    Monday, August 23, 2010

Even after multiple crashes, investors still tend to pile into overheated sectors. Where are the biggest risks today?

'A Fantastic Time for Bubbles'

Investors have lived through the calamitous crashes of real estate and tech stocks in a single decade. You'd think we would have learned to avoid the sort of frenzied enthusiasm that causes an investing category to see its value inflated beyond all reason. Alas, that is almost certainly not the case.

Didier Sornette, who studies bubbles and is a professor at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, says low-interest-rate, low-return environments, where everyone is looking for safe havens (sound familiar?), are perfect for new investment manias. "This is a fantastic time for bubbles," says Sornette. "Right now there is not one bubble, but many, in our analysis." With a surprising quantity of investing categories looking excessively frothy, Fortune decided to examine some of the leading suspects -- and a few unexpected ones.

The Chinese Economy

Why It's Hot

A decade-long boom has lifted many of China's 1.3 billion citizens out of poverty, spurring epic consumption and building. As a result, China's stock market has risen nearly 300% over the past 15 years.

Why It's Worrisome

Much of that building and spending has been funded by debt. Last year Chinese banks made twice as many loans as they did in 2008, boosting lending by the equivalent of 29% of GDP. Housing prices continue to rise despite reports that 65 million dwellings in China are vacant.

Verdict: A Bubble

Cracks appear to be slowly forming. China's stock market is down this year, and in July its manufacturing expanded at the slowest pace in 17 months. China's central bank has tightened its policies in an effort to rein in risky lending. Some savvy investors, including short-seller Jim Chanos, have turned bearish. Chanos said in April that China "is on a treadmill to hell."

U.S. Treasury Bonds

Why They're Hot

At a time of economic uncertainty, investors want safety. U.S. Treasuries may no longer be viewed as impregnable, but they still inspire more confidence than, say, Greek government bonds.

Why They're Worrisome

Supply is supposed to bring down prices, but that hasn't happened: U.S. bonds have risen 14% in 2010, even as the government has issued $3.3 trillion in debt over the past two years. "This is the big one," says Doug Noland, senior portfolio manager at the Federated Prudent Bear Fund. "Bubbles happen because there is no restraint on borrowing, and that's exactly the situation we have now for the federal government."

Verdict: Not a Bubble

The national debt is still a manageable 40% of GDP. Economists warn that growth will slow when it reaches 90% of GDP. The Congressional Budget Office projects it will take nine years to get to that level, and that's if Washington, which is debating the deficit, does nothing.

Pure-Play Shale Stocks

Why They're Hot

Shales, massive rock formations deep below ground, may hold enough natural gas to satisfy U.S. needs for the next 45 years. Pure-play shale companies such as Range Resources (RRC) and Southwestern Energy (SWN) have seen their stocks rise 72% and 160%, respectively, over the past five years.

Why They're Worrisome

With gas prices already low -- $4.30 per million BTU -- these discoveries will add supply and further depress prices.

Verdict: A Bubble

Environmental fears are fueling opposition to shale drilling. New York, where the massive Marcellus shale is partially located, is considering a temporary ban. Yet Range (a large Marcellus leaseholder) has a price/earnings ratio of 65 based on 2010 earnings, a huge premium to such diversified gas companies as Chesapeake and Devon, which have P/Es of 7 and 11, respectively. "Everyone is betting gas prices will go up," says Oppenheimer analyst Fadel Gheit. "But I don't see it."

Cotton

Why It's Hot

Hold on to your shorts. Seriously -- they might be worth something. Cotton prices have nearly doubled in the past year to 80¢ a pound. The world has been using more but producing less. Last year's U.S. cotton production dropped to 12.2 million bales, the smallest crop in 20 years. And rising populations are causing nations like China and India to devote more land to foodstuffs and less to cotton.

Why It's Worrisome

The two-year run has given farmers plenty of time to ramp up production, which means more cotton will soon be on the market and lower prices will follow. The USDA estimates that U.S. production will hit 18.6 million bales this year, up 50% from a year ago.

Verdict: A Minor Bubble

Analyst Sharon Johnson of First Capital Group says cotton has traded around 50¢ a pound for much of the past decade. When cotton has spiked above 80¢, it hasn't stayed there for long. "Prices are overvalued," she says.

Gold

Why It's Hot

Gold was rising even before the recession. But panic over world markets and the health of European and U.S. economies propelled it into the stratosphere. Prices have risen 150% in the past five years, repeatedly setting new records. Meanwhile, small investors have stormed in. Some fear that stimulus spending could lead to massive inflation; they believe a tangible material like gold will hold its value better than other assets.

Why It's Worrisome

Inflation isn't rising. It's falling and likely to be restrained for some time by a tepid economy.

Verdict: A Major Bubble

Gold has already started slipping. It declined 6% in July to a recent $1,160 an ounce. Some economists are warning that continued weakness could lead to deflation. If that happens, expect gold to crater.

Copyrighted, CNNMoney. All Rights Reserved.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

apologies, just saw it on Y! frontpage

I hope they put pressure on GOLD I want the price to artificially fall so I can sweep some up. At least sub $1000. I would prefer around $900.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Unlikely it will go to 900$ but that will be sweet! The tactic they are using is called a shake. Been "investing," ok gambling lol, on the otcbb and pinks for years now. I am a frequent at Ihub. Every down tick you see a host of funny characters come out of the woodwork and claim the sky is falling. Larry Kudlow did it this summer, he claimed the bubble is popping, now we are at the same high levels. These financial news institutions are only paid promoters for the larger financial institutions. There job is to get gullible investors to hold the bag or sell before the rally. Also who is CNN anyways, they claim to be authoritative, but there viewer ship is a joke! Very few people watch and very few pay attention to them. Another crap attempt to shake the tree. Gold is going higher and they won't be able to stop it!

Anyone who pays attention to this "investment guide" deserves what they get.

Also bonds not a bubble! Can anyone else here the printing presses warming up. lol I wouldn't be surprised if the Financial Reform bill had yet another hidden clause, that appropriated money for the Fed to create more printing presses. How else are they gonna keep up with the next year's deficit!

lol

Sell gold and buy treasuries! Hahahahahaha! Better acquire a taste for cat food while you are at it.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Sell gold and buy treasuries! Hahahahahaha! Better acquire a taste for cat food while you are at it.
    Ain't that the truth!?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    China and all the real assets (cotton, gas and gold) are in bubble. The only thing that is not a bubble is the paper that the government can print...

Propaganda is getting blunt.

Personally, I'm looking at the 30 year bond. But, not yet.

I believe all signs point to double digit interest on long term treasuries, by design. How else do you make a huge, guaranteed, unearned ROI in a depression?

The banks need somewhere to make lots of risk-free unearned income from the free trillions they got handed to them and then parked at the Fed. What are they waiting for? I think higher long term bond rates.

Seems to me that bond prices are the easiest to manipulate, especially when the government has to sell trillions of them.

Once the deed is done and the rates climb into double digits, the cry goes out to stop the spending and PAY DOWN THE DEBT!!!

IOW, pay the banksterssters from an emergency program of AUSTERITY and much, much, MUCH higher taxes.

That way, the increase in taxes completely bypasses the Treasury Dept (since they'll be forced back to 1990s spending levels) and goes straight from the IRS into the banksters vaults to satisfy the people's cry to PAY DOWN THE DEBT, OR ELSE!!!.

They'll blame that idiot Clinton, that idiot Bush and that idiot Obama and the dolt will be none the wiser as he works harder and longer to gladly hand over more and more, thinking it's a good and necessary thing.

A transfer of earned income to unearned income from free money that the taxpayer was forced to hand over in the first place.

I plan to cash out, buy bonds, quit working and build a house I can heat with a candle and cool with an ice cube. That way, I'll be supported by the working stiff and avoid all of the new taxes on income and energy.

Sorry, just thinking out loud...

Bosso

I'll buy gold if it drops to $500