Thread: Full-Body Scan Technology Deployed In Street-Roving Vans

Thumbs down Full-Body Scan Technology Deployed In Street-Roving Vans

Full-Body Scan Technology Deployed In Street-Roving Vans

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenber...t-roving-vans/

As the privacy controversy around full-body security scans begins to simmer, it’s worth noting that courthouses and airport security checkpoints aren’t the only places where backscatter x-ray vision is being deployed. The same technology, capable of seeing through clothes and walls, has also been rolling out on U.S. streets.

American Science & Engineering, a company based in Billerica, Massachusetts, has sold U.S. and foreign government agencies more than 500 backscatter x-ray scanners mounted in vans that can be driven past neighboring vehicles to see their contents, Joe Reiss, a vice president of marketing at the company told me in an interview. While the biggest buyer of AS&E’s machines over the last seven years has been the Department of Defense operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, Reiss says law enforcement agencies have also deployed the vans to search for vehicle-based bombs in the U.S.

“This product is now the largest selling cargo and vehicle inspection system ever,” says Reiss.

Here’s a video of the vans in action.

YouTube - Backscatter Van

The Z Backscatter Vans, or ZBVs, as the company calls them, bounce a narrow stream of x-rays off and through nearby objects, and read which ones come back. Absorbed rays indicate dense material such as steel. Scattered rays indicate less-dense objects that can include explosives, drugs, or human bodies. That capability makes them powerful tools for security, law enforcement, and border control.

It would also seem to make the vans mobile versions of the same scanning technique that’s riled privacy advocates as it’s been deployed in airports around the country. The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) is currently suing the DHS to stop airport deployments of the backscatter scanners, which can reveal detailed images of human bodies. (Just how much detail became clear last May, when TSA employee Rolando Negrin was charged with assaulting a coworker who made jokes about the size of Negrin’s genitalia after Negrin received a full-body scan.)

“It’s no surprise that goverments and vendors are very enthusiastic about [the vans],” says Marc Rotenberg, executive director of EPIC. “But from a privacy perspective, it’s one of the most intrusive technologies conceivable.”

AS&E’s Reiss counters privacy critics by pointing out that the ZBV scans don’t capture nearly as much detail of human bodies as their airport counterparts. The company’s marketing materials say that its “primary purpose is to image vehicles and their contents,” and that “the system cannot be used to identify an individual, or the race, sex or age of the person.”
    Though Reiss admits that the systems “to a large degree will penetrate clothing,” he points to the lack of features in images of humans like the one shown at right, far less detail than is obtained from the airport scans. “From a privacy standpoint, I’m hard-pressed to see what the concern or objection could be,” he says.

But EPIC’s Rotenberg says that the scans, like those in the airport, potentially violate the fourth amendment. “Without a warrant, the government doesn’t have a right to peer beneath your clothes without probable cause,” he says. Even airport scans are typically used only as a secondary security measure, he points out. “If the scans can only be used in exceptional cases in airports, the idea that they can be used routinely on city streets is a very hard argument to make.”

The TSA’s official policy dictates that full-body scans must be viewed in a separate room from any guards dealing directly with subjects of the scans, and that the scanners won’t save any images. Just what sort of safeguards might be in place for AS&E’s scanning vans isn’t clear, given that the company won’t reveal just which law enforcement agencies, organizations within the DHS, or foreign governments have purchased the equipment. Reiss says AS&E has customers on “all continents except Antarctica.”

Reiss adds that the vans do have the capability of storing images. “Sometimes customers need to save images for evidentiary reasons,” he says. “We do what our customers need.”
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Perhaps there's been some breakthrough with x-ray technology that I haven't yet heard about that makes it so they no longer actually emit x-rays thereby no longer causing cancer. Or is my dentist just fooling around with me when I have to put on those aprons for an x-ray?

Am I ignorant to these new developments, or is this really as bizarre as it sounds? This company thinks people won't mind if they sell its technology to the government so that its minions can roll around our neighborhoods and blast us with x-rays unannounced?
    Last edited by MRK; 08-25-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Full-Body Scan Technology Deployed In Street-Roving Vans
    Sounds like the ideal job for you when you are between voyages.

Roving Wal-Mart parking lots in this vehicle.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Sounds like the ideal job for you when you are between voyages.

Roving Wal-Mart parking lots in this vehicle.

Do Want.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

This is where the 4th Amendment should kill this technology... but the government will use it anyway. They use so many advanced technologies on America that the people aren't privy to.

It's being used in Washington DC... The Imperial Roman Empire must be protected when the economic collapse arrives.

Simple... because the Federal government operates on the state of paranoia 24/7.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    Simple... because the Federal government operates on the state of paranoia 24/7.
    As well it should.

I really can't blame the system, I'd be in a high state of panic as well, given how corrupt, hypocritical and murderous they are.

"The wicked man flees when none pursues".

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is an actual product.

http://www.as-e.com/products_solutions/zbv.asp

Just wait for Google street view to start using these. You can tell who has the best furniture in their house! YEA!!!

Then Wal Mart will start selling them and you can go through the parking lot checking for stuff people left in their trunk! What fun!

Privacy? What's that?

These guys at AS&E have been supplying backscatter X-ray systems for years to the US government. Appears 100% of their Business is from the Federal Government and many many contracts across many agencies... some classified.

[h2]American Science and Engineering awarded contract to develop an Unmanned Ground Vehicle Single Sided X-Ray Imaging System[/h2]
    November 28, 2006 - The Improvised Device Defeat subgroup awarded a contract to American Science and Engineering (AS&E) off of Broad Agency Announcement 05-Q-4782 to investigate existing technology to provide a single sided X-Ray backscatter based imaging system capable of being delivered by a small robotic platform. The imaging system will acquire internal images of an improvised explosive device (IED) in two minutes or less and allow bomb technicians determine the functional characteristics of the device.
    » AS&E will receive a $317,736 for the initial investigative effort and up to $2,723,634 for an additional twenty-eight month effort including options.
    [h2]American Science & Engineering awarded contract for Ruggedized Backscatter X-Ray Van[/h2]
    October 27, 2006 - The Physical Security Subgroup of TSWG awarded a contract to American Science and Engineering to develop a ruggedized version of the Backscatter X-Ray Van (ZBV) screening system. The ZBV detects low-density organic materials and enables the operator to identify explosives and narcotics. The ruggedized system will be compatible for towing by an armored HMMWV or similar light duty militarized vehicle, enabling the ZBV to be deployed as a stationary inspection system in remote areas.
    » AS&E will receive $2,254,465 for the nine month effort.

http://defensenews-updates.blogspot....-contract.html

Billerica, Mass. -- American Science and Engineering, Inc. (AS&E(R)), a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, announced today the receipt of a $48.8 million U.S. government award for a significant quantity of ZBV(TM) Military Trailers (ZBV Mil Trailers).

AS&E Receives US Government Award for ZBV Military Trailers

AS&E has received the first ZBV Mil Trailer order for $34 million and under the award the U.S. government has an option to procure up to $14.8 million in additional units. The ZBV Mil Trailer is a ruggedized version of the Company's patented, top-selling Z Backscatter(TM) Van (ZBV) system and is ideal for screening vehicles for car and truck bombs. The easily relocatable ZBV Mil Trailer will be deployed by the U.S. government for counterterrorism missions in harsh environments.
    "This sizable order follows the successful deployment of a significant number of ZBV Mil Trailers in support of the U.S. government's counterterrorism operations," said Anthony Fabiano, President and CEO. "With very high customer satisfaction ratings for quality and reliability, the ZBV Mil Trailer has a record of outstanding performance in harsh field environments -- a clear testament of the system's capability to meet the U.S. government's rigorous force protection and explosives detection requirements."

http://www.asdnews.com/news/29033/AS...y_Trailers.htm

US Homeland Security - Homeland Defense (HLS-HLD) Markets 2010-2014 (Billerica, Mass., July 8, 2010) -- American Science and Engineering, Inc. (AS&E(R)) (NASDAQ: ASEI), a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, announced today the receipt of a $3.0 million order for multiple ZBV(TM) Military Trailers (ZBV Mil Trailers) from an international government agency. The ZBV Mil Trailer is a ruggedized version of the Company's patented, top-selling Z Backscatter(TM) Van (ZBV) system and is ideal for screening vehicles for car and truck bombs.

"With this first order from an international government agency, security officials will have the capability to respond effectively and quickly to inspect vehicles for explosive threats and contraband," said Anthony R. Fabiano, President and CEO of AS&E. "The ZBV Mil Trailer has a proven performance record in harsh environments and has been extremely successful in war zones for force protection and counterterrorism operations."

http://www.worldsecurity-index.com/

American Science and Engineering (AS & E) - 27th July 2010
    American Science and Engineering, Inc. Receives $5.3 Million Follow-on Order for Z Backscatter Vans (ZBVs) for a Latin American Customs Agency

American Science and Engineering (AS & E) - 23rd July 2010
    American Science and Engineering, Inc. Receives $23 Million Order for SmartCheck Inspection Systems for an Undisclosed Government Agency

http://www.defenseprocurementnews.co...-28-2-million/

BILLERICA, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--American Science and Engineering, Inc. (AS&E®) (NASDAQ: ASEI), a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, announced today the receipt of a service contract award for up to $28.2 million from the U.S. government to provide service and maintenance for Z Backscatter™ Van (ZBV) X-ray inspection systems. The U.S. government has funded $24.4 million of the contract award with a remaining option of $3.8 million. The ZBVs are d

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/st...ess+Journal%29
    Thursday, July 8, 2010
    ASEI’s Backscatter Vans go Latin

American Science and Engineering Inc. of Billerica has received an $8.3 million order from a Latin-American custom agency for the company’s Backscatter Vans, the company announced Thursday.
    A statement from the company (Nasdaq: ASEI) did not specify the location of the agency or the number of vans the order calls for.
    The vans, which are a mobile X-ray screening system built into a commercial van, are used to detect explosive materials in suspect vehicles and objects. The contract includes ZBV operator training, spare parts, service and warranty.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...s-11.8-Million
    U.S. Customs and Border Protection Places $11.8 Million Order for AS&E’s MobileSearch HE Systems

CBP Reevaluates the Mobile High-Energy X-ray Proposals and Increases AS&E’s Award

BILLERICA, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--American Science and Engineering, Inc. (AS&E®) (NASDAQ: ASEI), a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, announced today the receipt of a $11.8 million order from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for multiple MobileSearch™ HE (High-Energy) cargo and vehicle inspection systems equipped with both high-energy transmission and Z Backscatter™ X-ray imaging for comprehensive threat and contraband detection including weapons, explosives, drugs, and currency.
    “We are very pleased to learn that CBP has increased their contract award to AS&E to support their critical programs”

In January 2010, the Company announced a deobligation of funds for a $9.1 million order from the U.S. government for MobileSearch™ HE systems. However, the U.S. government issued a reevaluation notice of the proposals, and with this order increased AS&E’s award to $11.8 million to support counter-drug and anti-terrorism programs.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 08-26-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

more like

Screw the big two! Let's all vote Libertarian.

You have to be $#@!ing kidding me.

I feel like the walls are closing in, and every single day, the news accelerates the squeeze. It just keeps getting worse.
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 08-26-2010 at 03:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Good Lord...

Why don't we just elect this guy and get it over with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post

I feel like the walls are closing in, and every single day, the news accelerates the squeeze. It just keeps getting worse.
    Stop watching the nightly crime report (NEWS). It's a waste of time. You can get what you are interested in on the web anyway, including weather without waiting for commercials to end.

I hope people understand that this can easily look into the inside of a house from the street.

Quote Originally Posted by free1 View Post
    Stop watching the nightly crime report (NEWS). It's a waste of time. You can get what you are interested in on the web anyway, including weather without waiting for commercials to end.
    Wait, me? You're speaking to the choir here. I've never been a TV guy. When I said the "news accelerates the squeeze," I was referring to the kinds of news we're discussing in this thread, e.g. full-body scanners on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by free1 View Post
    I hope people understand that this can easily look into the inside of a house from the street.
    Indeed...
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 08-28-2010 at 03:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post

Welcome to the brave new world.

What's worse is that every path for solutions to stop this are fraught with negative consequences or won't even be considered by any but a tiny percentage of the people.

You are not imagining things either.

The walls are closing in, a high tech prison grid is being erected around us as we speak, that, once completed, within the next few years, you will not be able to make a single move without it being watched, recorded and analyzed.

And for the most part, nobody gives a flying $#@! about it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    WHO BELIEVES THIS STUFF? LOL THIS IS FAKE U MOONBATS

i miss these posts^
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

Yes, but obviously that one picture is of using this technology to find human smuggling. This means that it'll stop the illegals! And it'll stop young girls being sold into sexual slavery!

You people in this thread obviously like little girls being raped and you want immigrants to take over the country!!!!!

(No, seriously, that's how it'll be justified. As for the worries about this being used by criminals, don't worry; the technology will be confined to the Government for your safety!)
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Yes, but obviously that one picture is of using this technology to find human smuggling. This means that it'll stop the illegals! And it'll stop young girls being sold into sexual slavery!

You people in this thread obviously like little girls being raped and you want immigrants to take over the country!!!!!

(No, seriously, that's how it'll be justified. As for the worries about this being used by criminals, don't worry; the technology will be confined to the Government for your safety!)
    Lol- for second I thought you were being serious. I was going to E shake you .
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Looks like I'm gonna need more than just a tin foil hat.

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I wonder if they sell this technology in the form of spectacles.....

$#@! it, I'm lead plating my honda tomorrow. X-ray that gubment bitches!

http://www.rockyflatsgear.com/

Scan blocking underwear.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.rockyflatsgear.com/

Scan blocking underwear.

Well that'll guarantee that you will get felt up.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Maybe I'll just get a My Little Pony Cock Ring and Rainbow Brite Boxer Shorts so when they look they'll wish they hadn't.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

The truly ironic thing is, despite these government stripsearches, anyone who actually walks nude down the street is going to be immediately arrested and jailed. Probably with a nasty tazing thrown in for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    The truly ironic thing is, despite these government stripsearches, anyone who actually walks nude down the street is going to be immediately arrested and jailed. Probably with a nasty tazing thrown in for good measure.
    Just shut up and do what you're told!!
    Summum Jus, Summa Iniuria - More Law, Less Justice

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    no specs but there are handhelds

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/Det...imaging-system

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...933981,00.html