Thread: IACPA and its role in Islamophobia in the US

IACPA and its role in Islamophobia in the US

Rest assured that whether it's online message boards, or Wikipedia or WoT or domestic irrational conundrum and politics, the singular blame on AIPAC is misleading. Or for that mater any thomas-friedman-neocon-claptrap about Buzz words such as democracy, secular, pluralist etc.

http://samaj.revues.org/index262.html

Working for India or against Islam? Islamophobia in Indian American Lobbies
    Ingrid Therwath

In the past few years, the Indian American community has gained an unprecedented visibility in the international arena. It is indeed often projected as a model community and now constitutes growing and influential ethnic lobbies in Washington. But, in the face of its sheer division, Islamophobia did provide a unifying force sometimes bigger than the interest of Indian Americans or of their country of origin. Other factors can also be summoned. Among them, a leniency of many post-1965 migrants towards Hindu nationalist ideology and the wish to align with Jewish pressure groups in the context of the war against terrorism and to further the India-Israel-US strategic partnership play a major role in explaining Islamophobic overtones in the Indian American lobbies.

...................According to the 1990 US Census, 857,000 Indian Americans resided in the Unites States, more than twice the number a decade before (they were 350,000 in 1980). They were the fifth ethnic community in the US and were already established in the country. Besides, the end of the Cold War and that of a bipolar vision of international relations coincided with the rise of transnational groups and ethnic lobbies as political actors (Ambrosio 2002)1. The Indian lobby developed itself in this context, while India at the same time was witnessing the rise of Hindu nationalism. Now, with the post 9/11 American emphasis on the axis of evil and on the dangers of Islam, it seems the Indian lobby is using Islamophobia as a political strategy. Hence the question: is the Indian American lobby in Washington working for India or against Islam?

Of course, this question is deliberately provocative as it could be argued that both positions, pro-India activism and Islamophobia, can be reconciled. Further on the other end Indian American lobbyists claim to focus only on their community in the US and on domestic issues, far from any imported communal agenda. However, fieldwork conducted in New York and in Washington in July and August 2004 revealed virulent streaks of Islamophobia and hostility towards Pakistan amongst professional Indian American lobbyists. While not absolutely systematic, this anti-Muslim sentiment has been prominent in most of the interviews that I conducted. Constituting a population of slightly more than 1 million Hindus (approximately 52.6% of the total population of Indian Americans), the 2000 U.S. Census show that Hindus outnumber Muslims here, although their numerical superiority is not as overwhelming as it is in India. One would therefore expect this repartition to be mirrored in the membership of Indian American lobbies, but none of these pressure groups claiming to work for a multicultural homeland in a multicultural environment had Muslim representatives.

.........The hostility of the Indian American lobbies towards Islam and Pakistan can actually be construed as the result of two separate but complementary processes: the space occupied by ethno-religious minorities in American politics on the one hand, and long-distance nationalism on the other hand. In short, Islamophobia in Indian American lobbies stems from a combination of both contingent and structural factors as well as external and internal causes.

....In the last twenty years, South Asian communities in diaspora have been particularly prone to long-distance nationalism and one can easily recall the Sikh diaspora’s support to the Khalistani project and the Tamil diaspora’s support to the LTTE rebellion. In a way, the Ghadar Party partook of the same logic. Several factors contribute to the assumption that the first generation of Indian Americans, who became involved in politics in the 1980s and 1990s, do so as long-distance nationalists and tenets of foreign hindutva, either because of the psychological trauma caused by migration or by the necessity to define themselves in migration by opposition with an essentialized Other. Ashis Nandy favours the first explanation and links long-distance nationalism amonsgt NRIs and PIOs to the insecuriy resulting from uprootedness, cultural alienation and a minority position. Endorsing the cause of India and identifying with Hindu nationalism for instance and its demonization of Islam could then be interpreted as ‘a symbolic redress of cultural defeat’ (Nandy 2000: 127-150, 164-170) and ‘compensatory gratification’ (Rajagopal 2001: 47).

....Hindutva, with its distancing of the Muslim community as foreign invaders, provided a potent ideology for Indian Americans in search of a separate identity since the late 1970s. Indeed, they lobbied for the creation of a separate entry in the Census and were listed as ‘Asian Indians’ for the first time in 1980, before being officially labeled ‘Indian Americans’ in the 1990s (Sabbagh 2003). Moreover the constitution of the Indian American lobbies coincided with the rise of hindutva in India. The frequent visits of Indian dignitaries in the U.S. and the rapid rise of the instrumentalization of the Internet towards this end, with the creation of websites like www.hinduunity.org, a pro-hindutva and Muslim-bashing umbrella site based in Queens and Long Island, further fuelled ‘Yankee hindutva’.

...From Kashmir to Palestine: the Indo-Jewish nexus
    It was only natural for the Indian American lobby to look at the Jewish lobby for guidance as a model of political action. Indian Americans wished to emulate the strength of the American Jewish lobby and Kumar P. Barve, the first Indian American holding office since Dalip Singh Saund’s election to the Congress 1956, sums this interest up by stating that ‘Indian Americans see the American Jewish community as a yardstick against which to compare themselves. It’s seen as a gold standard in terms of political activism.’16 However, in spite of the Jewish lobby’s position as the most prominent ethnic lobby in the U.S., this rapprochement is a recent phenomenon very much linked to long-distance nationalism in the two communities and to the rise of hindutva in India.

The Sangh Parivar itself encouraged such an alliance and hoped it would become an anti-Muslim front. According to Vijay Prashad, a leftist academic settled in the U.S., the Indo-Jewish friendship in America is very much linked to the rise of right-wing nationalists, personified by Sharon and Advani, in Israel and in India. He attributes it to the ‘Global Right’ and to ‘the entente between India and Israel, between Hindutva and Sharonism in the shadow of US imperialism’ (Prashad 2003: 4-5, 7).

Of course, K.B. Hedgewar, the founding father of the RSS, and Veer Savarkar, the author of the 1923 pamphlet Hindutva. Who is a Hindu?, professed their admiration for Nazism and Fascism and wished to import the idea of a Final Solution to the Muslim Indian community.

...Besides, the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and Palestinian terrorism provided a tempting parallel for the Hindu-Muslim communal tension and Kashmiri militancy in the eyes of Sangh activists. Many BJP and Bajrang Dal leaders have thus spoken highly of Jews and Israel. The Indo-Israel friendship was subsequently supported by the BJP government. This new friendship was of course encouraged by the Indian government seeking to ally itself with Israel, for strategic and military purposes.

The 9/11 attacks provided another pretext for the reactivation of long-distance nationalism in Indian American lobbies and for anti-Muslim ravings. Not surprisingly, the Kashmir-Palestinian parallel is being invoked again, in a way reminiscent of the hindutva websites, while the Internet is acknowledged as a political media.

A report prepared by AAPI in March 2002 and entitled India-U.S. Relations in the Aftermath of September 11, 2001, also put Kashmir and Palestine at the same level as instances of communal conflict with remarks such as ‘the thinking goes that if U.S. can bomb Afghanistan, Israel can bomb Palestinian hideouts, why can’t India bomb the terrorist camps in Pakistan occupied Kashmir or in Pakistan!’21. The Kashmir-Palestinian equivalence is certainly not derived from an official Indian position. On the contrary, the similarity between the two regions is being used by the Muslim Hurriyat Conference to pressurize the Indian government to evacuate Kashmir in the way Israel evacuated Gaza22. The parallel between Palestine and Kashmir is therefore not essentially anti-Muslim and can on the contrary be instrumentalized to further the Muslim Kashmiri cause. The Islamophobia among Indian Americans, their focus on terrorism and their conflation of Palestine and Kashmir has to be understood as a by-product of the American dominant political rhetoric and of Jewish and Hindu long-distance nationalisms.

Conclusion:
    However, the Indo-Jewish nexus in Washington, the Congressional Caucus on India and the Indian Americans do target Pakistan as a primary concern of U.S. foreign policy. This anti-Muslim streak has also permeated the political position of many Congressmen, who tend to lump together Israel and India’s concerns. The space devoted to the Indian American lobby in the press tends to give it undue importance in the process of political decision-making.

Islamophobia amongst Indian American lobbyists indicates that they try to gain influence by aligning themselves with what they perceive as the mainstream American discourse. On the other hand, one can wonder if this strategy will prove fruitful in a country that is increasingly critical of overly sectarian positions. Indeed, the recent sales of F-16 planes to Pakistan and the Pakistan-U.S. friendship since 2001 clearly indicate the limited influence of the Indian American Islamophobia and the Indian American lobbies.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not really sure I get the point of this article. I am sure there are Indians who are "Islamophobic". Just like any other group. But the vast majority of people who would fit that description in this country are the Palin (evangelical), Gingrich (Catholic), Limbaugh (???) type.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    Not really sure I get the point of this article. I am sure there are Indians who are "Islamophobic". Just like any other group. But the vast majority of people who would fit that description in this country are the Palin (evangelical), Gingrich (Catholic), Limbaugh (???) type.
    The purpose is to discuss IAPAC just like one discusses AIPAC and its role in the atmosphere of the country's domestic culture but more importantly foreign policy.
    It's not about Indians at all. How can any one talk about Indians or Jews or Muslims?
    I posted the article to shed light on this aspect of domestic politics which influence foreign policy. People talk about AIPAC all the time. Constantly posting how it influences our policy on Iran and Israel-Palestine. Almost everyday. Of course it is not about Jews: Israeli Jews, American Jews, any Jew. Well here is another influential PAC which has deeply influenced or current foreign policy with disastrous results.
    As the discussion had started on another tread I posted a comment that it's not about AIPAC per se, but about a system which allows for "domestic" pressure groups which act as foreign advocates sometimes. And any group which has a chance to do so, does so.
    Certainly these two PACs are amongst the most influential but there are others with perhaps not as much of an influence, but one nevertheless: Turkish lobby, Armenian, Cuban etc...
    But apart from the Armenian genocide congressional debate, I don't think any other more visible hyphenated lobbies have wielded such influence.
    The way these lobbies work, with their monies, lavish dinner parties etc. is akin to bribes a la Xerxes' Gold.
    The only way to counter this embedded trend is to have a state philosophy of non-intervention amongst foreign disputes, relegating the function of such task forces and committees at most to address the domestic needs of voluntary association.
    Last edited by LibertyVox; 08-21-2010 at 02:23 PM.

The Islamophobia that I see among some Hindu Indians is scary. What's most scary is that it's some kind of claustrophobic, xenophobic phenomenon that directs hatred not just at Muslims but at anyone who isn't a Hindu Indian or a "historical" Hindu Indian.

Also interesting that I find Indian Muslims to be simultaneously liberal and observant, more so than Muslims in Pakistan, as a comparison.

There are over 500 million Muslims in the Indian subcontinent, and if India was never divided in 1947 (into India vs. Pakistan) Muslims would make up over 40% of the population.

I'd like to note, however that three of my best friends are Hindu, but then they are UAE-born and raised so I assume they've had more exposure to different cultural and religious groups...
    Last edited by ibaghdadi; 08-21-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by ibaghdadi View Post
    There are over 500 billion Muslims in the Indian subcontinent, and if India was never divided in 1947 (into India vs. Pakistan) Muslims would make up over 40% of the population.
    Well, South Asia was never one country except under forged unions under the Brits and the Islamic rulers. It was never one culture or one history or one religion. India was never divided. British India was partitioned into two political entities who encompass several distinct people and cultures. The political units opted to go one way or another under a constitutional plebiscite or were annexed by force.
    While Indian national discourse has been based on atavistic irredentism (a problem because many groups within that country including Kashmiris, Sikh punjabis, Christian Nagas etc haven't really bought it); within Pakistan the various ethnic groups are quite aware of heir distinctness and why they exist as part of a modern state. And the nature of insurgency within Pakistan is not one borne out of separatism, it is borne out of betrayal by the state's apparatus.

Anyways, we can keep discussing this till the cows come home, the most important thing we should all agree upon is that a foreign policy based on who has the means and ability and the voice to sell it on the Hill is disastrous. Non-intervention should be the bottom line.
    Those of us who want to volunteer in foreign causes should have the freedom to do individually.

BTW, 500 billion is a bit exaggeration don't you think?
    Last edited by LibertyVox; 08-21-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyVox View Post
    BTW, 500 billion is a bit exaggeration don't you think?
    My bad. I meant 500 million.

But your point about the differences between troubles in India and Pakistan is very interesting indeed.

You post a lot of info about South Asia, what gives?

The Islamophobia that I see among some Hindu Indians is scary. What's most scary is that it's some kind of claustrophobic, xenophobic phenomenon that directs hatred not just at Muslims but at anyone who isn't a Hindu Indian or a "historical" Hindu Indian.
    I haven't seen that at all - at least not in the US. I can't speak to what it is like in India. Because of the industry I work in about 30-50% of the people I work with are Indian and I have not found that to be the case at all.

That is why our system has failed. You can't have a government "for the people, by the people" when it is lobbyists and special interest groups that dictate policies to our elected officials.

Hindus do not want Christians preaching in India. They have been beating up ministers and missionaries.

YouTube - Hindu Extremists Burn to Death Christian Priest and his Family
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by YumYum View Post
    Hindus do not want Christians preaching in India. They have been beating up ministers and missionaries.
    Another dimension you may add is how this relates to the rigid caste system, which even though politically defunct is socially very much alive. Many Christian converts originally came from the lowest castes. Since castes are more a social phenomenon, they are still considered of "low" birth and status.

But we have to note that Christianity is in no way "alien" to India. In fact some Indian Christians believe St. Thomas to be buried in southern India.

Another dimension you may add is how this relates to the rigid caste system, which even though politically defunct is socially very much alive. Many Christian converts originally came from the lowest castes. Since castes are more a social phenomenon, they are still considered of "low" birth and status.

But we have to note that Christianity is in no way "alien" to India. In fact some Indian Christians believe St. Thomas to be buried in southern India.
    I think next world wide conflict will be religious.

It doesn't look good for Christians or Muslims.

On the one hand the majority of Jews don't like Christians, and the majority of Hindus don't like Christians, and the majority of Muslims don't like Christians, while on the other hand, Christians love Jews, they tolerate Hindus, and they don't like Muslims.

With the Hindus and the Jews teaming up, it looks like they will step aside and let the Christians and the Muslims annihilate each other.
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

On the one hand the majority of Jews don't like Christians, and the majority of Hindus don't like Christians, and the majority of Muslims don't like Christians, while on the other hand, Christians love Jews, they tolerate Hindus, and they don't like Muslims.
    Yeah not exactly.

the majority of Muslims don't like Christians
    I don't find that. The vast majority of Muslims I know have no problems with Christians, in fact many of them have Christian friends and sometimes relatives. What they do have a problem with is Western imperialism, which is easy to conflate with Christianity but definitely isn't the same.

I don't think it's about religion at all. I think religion ends up being a scapegoat for hatred by people who would hate each other anyway, regardless of religion.

I think next world wide conflict will be religious.

It doesn't look good for Christians or Muslims.

With the Hindus and the Jews teaming up, it looks like they will step aside and let the Christians and the Muslims annihilate each other.
    I don't think this was a well thought out comment yum yum, because it is meaningless. We can't talk in terms of such sweeping statements. Which muslims? which Christians, what place? what time? what circumstances? what historicity? what sociopolitical climate? Which Jews don't like christians? What Hindus don't like muslims? What muslims don't like Jews? A person who is a christain or jews is this the only word that describes his/ identity? Or are there multiple aspects to every individual and are there multiple situational identities?

These questions are important to keep in mind when talking about any group of people. I mean otherwise one can keep drawing doomsday scenarios and fear mongering until the only logical option left would be to just hunker up in a bunker and never leave post.
    Always try to address the specifics that is the most decent thing to do.

That is why our system has failed. You can't have a government "for the people, by the people" when it is lobbyists and special interest groups that dictate policies to our elected officials.

YouTube - Hindu Extremists Burn to Death Christian Priest and his Family
    You found only one video?

A simple Google or youtube search would show you a plethora of news links and videos of
    gang rapes of nuns,
    burning of churches by unruly "hindu" extremist mobs
    And violent riots
    And Indian military action in these regions to preserve a shaky union.

Any one who wants to find/watch them (videos) may do so, I am not going to post them here.
    The insurgency in north eastern Indian states which are predominantly christian were declared as being an existential threat to the state by the prime minister MM Singh. Certainly the insurgency is more dominant in one place but violence is not restricted.
    Here's a situation where the usual kibosh about Islam vis a vis Kashmir is conveniently turned upside down: churches are accused of supporting the insurgency, of undermining the state, accused of collaborating with the enemy (including the CIA and ISI) etc etc. And the rhetoric used against religious minorities is pretty much like the one used against moslems here.
    And of course these are not the only violent areas, there are several insurgencies and separatist movements going on, and not all of them are from the "non-hindu" groups, within that country of nearly 1.3 billion. And certainly there is nothing "hindu" about that state's policies or the mob and its demagogues. One needn't make that needless and unnecessary connection.

So why dos this happen? Well one could write an entire book about it. One could see the historic reasons and the way the political climate played out and even connect it to the after effects of colonialism and the emerging psyche of the country's elite such as over here: http://www.christianaggression.org and here.

And certainly these are not the only aspects to that country's vast region. Hardly. Of course not. Actually I needn't even say this because for most of us nothing in this country negative really is conjured up with respect to that country. That's very fortunate for India (and Israel and their effective lobbies).

So the question is what should our government do? The answer should obvious: absolutely nothing. And we should keep a check on any attempt by any lobby which would persuade us to harken for an intervention into that state (not that it would ever happen).
    Now of course as individuals we can do (or not do) what ever we wish. And certainly I hope people here have not lost their compassion.

But then what is the most important lesson here? What is the point of saying all this?
    Well, What if this butchery against Christians were happening in a country whose population was mostly muslim? And I am not necessarily saying there is any muslim country where persecution of christians happens on such a scale. Would we see a mass advertisements for demonization of muslims and Islam?
    Would we perhaps even see even lobbying using this as an excuse to maybe even invade a country? Would televangelicals and religious leaders be all up and arms about it? would this be set as a glaring example as the sum total of the entire people and regions of a populace whose dominant belief system is Islam? Would there be massive coverage? Would it be said that by those with vested interest to say muslims are at war with everyone?
    The answer to these rhetorical questions should be obvious.
    Forget India, look at Burma (Myanmar) or the Balkans or Africa. The violence needn't even be inter-religious.

More importantly, how many of us actually know of all this occurs given that news of a (non Islamic) practice of honor killing in Gaza would make headlines everywhere in the Western media?

And this is hypocrisy and double standard is not lost on people (in this case moslems) who we've been so deliberately, willfully and dismissively been demonizing.
    Last edited by LibertyVox; 08-23-2010 at 11:49 AM.