Thread: Where the jobs at!?

Where the jobs at!?

I'm 27 years old and worked at a computer company for 7 years building desktops and laptops, also installing all the software and diagnosing any problems. I was laid off in October. and I've been on unemployment ever since, I'm tired of it. I've been looking for employment anywhere that's full time and pays at least $10hr. I have an AA from Miami Dade, I'm currently in FIU getting a bachelors so I can become a teacher. In the meantime I need something. Does anyone know of anything around the Miami area?

- I can do pretty much anything with computers.

- I can teach English or History but I'm not certified.

- I've been playing guitar for 15 years and am in a band so I COULD do something with music.

- I've also traveled all over Europe, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Dubai and the States which give me valuable experience.

I guess I'm a little desperate at this point to find something.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What's your passion? Teaching or computers? Follow your passions. I might have something but I'll wait for your answer first.

Good luck. I've been looking for pretty much the same thing. I have a master's. Been looking for anything full-time in my field in a three-state area including Florida. No dice. It's been months of this. I have had a few interviews but never landed the job. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to take anything. The worst of it is that employers will go with the less qualified person because they think they won't move on to better things or ask for more than they're offering.

Well my passion would be teaching computers lol I'm not yet certified to be a teacher so I would have to go with computers. My ultimate passion is music as seen on http://www.myspace.com/insigniamusic but that's more a hobby and making money with the band is difficult.

We are competing with the jobs that have been lost and exported to third world countries where what you are up against wants to be paid 22 cents a day vs what ever you expect to make. Where do you think the corproate assclowns are going to have a job opening? In your home town, or India?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Where are the jobs? They are gone. Forever.

We have had a false economy based on consumption, created by government interference in money and the economy, which has led to the explosion of jobs based on service instead of production.

The government punishes people for saving (capital gains tax) and rewards spending (manipulating interest rates). All of this "wealth" is a sham. It doesn't exist.

The FED is not going to let the market correct and right itself so that we start to produce things again, so we are headed for years of joblessness and depression.

Its sad to think about actually...
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 08-21-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BFranklin View Post
    I'm 27 years old and worked at a computer company for 7 years building desktops and laptops, also installing all the software and diagnosing any problems. I was laid off in October. and I've been on unemployment ever since, I'm tired of it. I've been looking for employment anywhere that's full time and pays at least $10hr. I have an AA from Miami Dade, I'm currently in FIU getting a bachelors so I can become a teacher. In the meantime I need something. Does anyone know of anything around the Miami area?

- I've been playing guitar for 15 years and am in a band so I COULD do something with music.

- I've also traveled all over Europe, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Dubai and the States which give me valuable experience.

Register with a temp agency. Make your salary requirement clear (you should actually go higher than this; that may be part of the problem if you're letting people know you'll work for $10/hour on your cover letter). Focus your resume for the job you are applying for. Consider tapping into the linguistics side of your experience, since you have been in many different countries.

A lot of companies hire through temp agencies when the economy's bad. Despite being "temp" jobs, many of them go on for a couple of years, and when it's over the agency will help you get another one with a minimal gap. The down side is a lack of healthcare benefits and being "at will" (of course, this means you have the green light to tell your boss where to stick it, too). The up side is having steadier work than most of the people who spend way too long looking in all the wrong places, and having spare money with which to buy the benefits you were missing out on. You will be making less than your actually-employed counterparts sometimes (sometimes I've actually been making more), but you will have a job, and it will pay way more than that per hour.

Make the rounds and see what's out there. I have contacts in the Miami area making $17-$20/hour doing what I do, which is a paltry sum compared to what they'd make working for themselves, but they've been on contract for years. Kelly Services was probably the better agency out of the ones I've been in contact with.

This doesn't mean to give up looking for a real, forever-and-ever job, but it's an alternative you might consider. Be firm about salary and leave them a complete skills list. Sometimes they have some really oddball jobs that pay pretty well.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Well this is open to anyone who reads this. I am a Cisco Voice Engineer. I am trying to partner with Cisco so that I can sell the hardware and get leads. In order to do this, 3 people need to register with Cisco.

I already have taken all the tests to qualify. I am trying to find a "sales" person and a routing/switching engineer. The salesperson just needs to take 3-4 cisco tests and the r/s engineer needs to have a CCDA plus take a few of the sales tests.

Anyways, for anyone that's motived and would like to learn something about Cisco, this would be a good opportunity for them as a salesperson. As a salesperson you won't really do anything. It's just a title. But you will use your talent as required to manage customers. Money won't start rolling in right away so this is a long term thing for all of us.

Let me know if anyone is interested. My website is http://3packet.com

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by damania View Post
    Well this is open to anyone who reads this. I am a Cisco Voice Engineer. I am trying to partner with Cisco so that I can sell the hardware and get leads. In order to do this, 3 people need to register with Cisco.

I already have taken all the tests to qualify. I am trying to find a "sales" person and a routing/switching engineer. The salesperson just needs to take 3-4 cisco tests and the r/s engineer needs to have a CCDA plus take a few of the sales tests.

Anyways, for anyone that's motived and would like to learn something about Cisco, this would be a good opportunity for them as a salesperson. As a salesperson you won't really do anything. It's just a title. But you will use your talent as required to manage customers. Money won't start rolling in right away so this is a long term thing for all of us.

Let me know if anyone is interested. My website is http://3packet.com

sent you a message via your website. I am interested. I have a company in Florida and we are working on getting our Google partnership. I understand the need to have certain types of qualified companies to partner with the big corps. I am willing to help out, and there may be some things that you could help us with, like for instance I need several case studies for google acceptance, these are also long term.

My contact details are at your website. Thanks for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by BFranklin View Post

you're actually not asking for too much.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltM View Post
    you're actually not asking for too much.
    $10/hour in Miami is about what he'd make at a fast food place, or for the really bad data entry jobs. It's what he should ask for if he has zero experience with anything and a resume that fits on one page with room for pictures and a prolonged mission statement
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    $10/hour in Miami is about what he'd make at a fast food place, or for the really bad data entry jobs. It's what he should ask for if he has zero experience with anything and a resume that fits on one page with room for pictures and a prolonged mission statement
    In this economy, everyone is offering $10/hour for just about everything.

dude they are giving 5000$ bonus for teachers who sign up in Texas...more if you speak spanish

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    In this economy, everyone is offering $10/hour for just about everything.
    Untrue, in my experience, and especially when my ex-company is hiring for double that in Miami-Dade.

teacher

I am sure it depends on the state, but you may not need to be certified to teach in a private school.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Untrue, in my experience, and especially when my ex-company is hiring for double that in Miami-Dade.
    is that typical and for entry level?

or for skilled and quality, limited qualified?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltM View Post
    is that typical and for entry level?

or for skilled and quality, limited qualified?
    The OP in question begins...

I'm 27 years old and worked at a computer company for 7 years
    Given this, I have no idea why you would ask whether or not I am addressing entry level positions.

Example:

Career Level : Experienced (Non-Manager)
    Education : Some College Coursework Completed
    Compensation : From 12 To 15 USD Per Hour
    2. Plantation FL US 33322
    3. Boca Raton FL US 33428
    4. West Palm Beach FL US 33401
    Job Description :
    ...Administrative and Executive Adminstrative positions for positions located from Dania Beach In Broward County to Jupiter Island in West Palm Beach.
    Requires:
    •Word,
    •Excel,
    •Typing
    Quickbooks, PowerPoint and Access a plus, but not required.
    Career Level : Experienced (Non-Manager)
    Education : Some College Coursework Completed
    Compensation : From $35,000 To $38,000 USD Per Year
    Job Description :
    Our client, an Export company doing business with Latin America, located in the Falls/Kendall area, is seeking an experienced Bilingual English/Spanish import/export coordinator. This position will report to the President of the company.

The successful candidate will have an export/sales support background, strong interpersonal skills, ability to apply good judgment, be well organized adaptable and possess a professional demeanor.

Must have knowledge of export/import documentation
    Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook

This is a full time position with excellent benefits, medical, dental, 401K, paid vacation.
    I'm not sure how the OP's Spanish skills are. If they are rusty, it could present a problem in that job market. These are two quick examples of jobs in the area that actually utilize more elementary skills than the OP claims to have, and they pay more than $10/hour.