Thread: 4 years ago do you think a libertarian could have pulled 22% in Conn.?

4 years ago do you think a libertarian could have pulled 22% in Conn.?

Seriously. 22% of republicans!!

4 years ago he would have been lucky to get 1%.

We are making progress...be it a slow, be it a little late....but we are making it. Plenty of these voters have been educated and exposed to views that they otherwise would have never. Im sad because I put a lot of time and money into this campaign. I had never donated to any political campaign in my life but I felt motivated with Schiff and the cause.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    money well spent IF a candidate like Schiff (Or Schiff himself) runs again next time.

You’re right we did accomplish something, but it’s rather disappointing that the best candidate of 2010 looses. It’s the media’s fault for being unfair. They failed to acknowledge he was in the race.
    "Gradualism in theory is perpetuity in practice." ~ William Lloyd Garrison
    STRATEGY: Three Essential Guidelines for the Liberty Movement

Liberty Policy Journal
    Striking at the Root

...and he went from 5% at the convention to 22% in the primary.

Peter didn't lose.... he just ran out of time.
    Ron Paul: "Do you think gold is money?"
    Ben Bernanke: "No"
    ~July 7th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    money well spent IF a candidate like Schiff (Or Schiff himself) runs again next time.
    Really, the best candidate of 2010.

I am very disappointed.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Peter Schiff is a libertarian? Amash is probably more libertarian than Schiff and won with little concerted effort by RPFs.

Frankly, I'm glad it's over so we can focus on the viable candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    ...and he went from 5% at the convention to 22% in the primary.

Peter didn't lose.... he just ran out of time.
    This was an excellent accomplishment. If the stupid establishment wouldn't have blocked his way, the people would have spoken with their votes, probably more so for Schiff.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by K466 View Post
    You’re right we did accomplish something, but it’s rather disappointing that the best candidate of 2010 looses. It’s the media’s fault for being unfair. They failed to acknowledge he was in the race.
    They fail to even hold debates.

In KY, Rand and Trey had like 5 debates, and probably more than 30 Lincoln dinner appearances.

In backward CT, they wouldn't even call out Linda for refusing to debate. They debated only once when no one was paying attention.
    Last edited by low preference guy; 08-10-2010 at 08:31 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    agreed!

my exact sentiments from the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JenH88 View Post
    22% with a media blackout and vs $22 million? F*CK YES!

We are getting somewhere with our message! Leaps and bounds.. seriously...

Hope Schiff doesn't give up on us, run again!
    A huge win for liberty here tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    Peter Schiff is a libertarian? Amash is probably more libertarian than Schiff and won with little concerted effort by RPFs.

Well said, Kludge.

Come on guys, we all knew that Peter had the world stacked against him and even if he won the primary, he would have had one hell of a climb to beat Blumenthal.

Rather than blaming the "ignorant masses", let's focus our attention on what we can do better and what we have learned from this election. It wasn't all the media's fault and it wasn't all the state of Connecticut's fault.

Elections are not all about winning, they are about changing the environment in which the political class operates. And guess what, my friends, Peter Schiff's 22% was a huge victory for the Liberty movement. His 20,000+ votes are in the name in of Liberty and should not be taken lightly. Yes, it would have been great if Peter would have won, but don't you see the incredible advancements we have made as a movement? We are inching the Republican Party to our philosophy and everytime we have a legitimate candidate challenge an establishment opponent, or maybe two like Peter, we are making progress.
    "Every generation needs a new revolution." -Thomas Jefferson

4 years ago, I wouldn't have cared.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    It's not over. This is just the beginning. We can rest tonight, so tomorrow we can start planning for SCHIFF 2012!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    It's not over. This is just the beginning. We can rest tonight, so tomorrow we can start planning for SCHIFF 2012!!!!
    Love the enthusiasm. I'd love to see Schiff take out Lieberman.

Quote Originally Posted by brenden.b View Post
    Well said, Kludge.

Rather than blaming the "ignorant masses", let's focus our attention on what we can do better and what we have learned from this election. It wasn't all the media's fault and it wasn't all the state of Connecticut's fault.
    90% of voters are the ignorant mass (See here, a fantastic article). These results on say we've improved on educating the voters, or we've swayed some of the ignorant mass to a more appealing message despite obstacles (both very impressive).

The mass of course is not to blame, but the people in the 10% who are working on self-interest measures through parties have controlled the mass better. Once they use the billions of dollars through networks to get their exposure, all they need is a "go out and vote" campaign to win any type of election; precisely why Linda is afraid of low turnouts.

I think the OP makes a good point - there has been something of a transformation in parts of the culture. At very least liberty-leaning candidates are finding ways to make themselves viable.

My sense as an outsider is that the campaign made some serious mistakes, didn't do a good job of introducing the candidate, and waited far too late for the big push. I also thought that Peter had some problems coming across to voters and media as likable and informed, as opposed to cocksure and condescending.

That said, I don't know much about the facts on the ground so my interpretation may be made on misunderstandings. (Although I'm confident that my interpretation of people's reaction to the candidate is correct in significant part).

The masses are the enemy because they keep these people in power

YouTube - ‪Matrix is a system‬‎

YouTube - ‪V for Vendetta Speech‬‎
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I actually think Peter wins this election if there wasn't any McMahon (meaning McMahon's money).

Linda bought this election, and neither Schiff or Simmons saw her coming. This was supposed to be an establishment Simmons vs. a Tea Partier Schiff. But McMahon came out of nowhere and with $20 million bought the election. There's just nothing you can do to counter that.

Schiff went from like 5% to 20+% which is incredible. That's enough to wonder that if Simmons fully dropped out, maybe Peter would be around 40-50%.

Anyway, maybe Schiff will challenge Leiberman
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.
    - The naive attitude of too many RPF members

Quote Originally Posted by Legend1104 View Post
    I agree with you. I have to clarify though- its not the people themselves that are the enemy, its their apathy and/ or ignorance. Once they learn, and find courage to take action, they are then an ally.

And thats why education of the masses is the only long-term solution for liberty to be achieved.

Edit:

Also, getting close to a quarter of the vote where Schiff is at is VERY impressive. It was bigger than I expected! I was figuring Schiff would end up with around 10%-15% honestly, and if that had of happened, I would have found that impressive too. But I didn't let those expectations make my support of Schiff faulter or make me want to do less to try to help him win.
    Last edited by justinc.1089; 08-10-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    I GOT MY BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SCIENCE DEGREE IN MY HANDS AND RAN!!!!!!! THEY'RE NEVER GETTING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!

"It is dissent from government policies that defines the true patriot and champion of liberty."

- Ron Paul

*23%

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon."
    -Thomas Paine

"Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny"
    -Bob Marley

"In matters of style swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Peace, love, and happiness.

Education may be the long term solution, but the short term solution is using the system against those who created the system. We are not going to be able to educate or persuade a majority of people to our movement. It is going to take shaping of our message and playing the political game to result in political victories. Schiff's 22% is a victory in the sense that our ideas have received further exposure and have at least 22% of voting Republicans support in Connecticut. We have learned from Rand Paul and Justin Amash that our candidates can win with the right message. Combine those results and we might have a winning formula yet.