Thread: What a Collapsing Empire Looks Like

What a Collapsing Empire Looks Like

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/gl...pse/index.html

It's pretty sobering stuff when you connect the dots.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Public schools across the state closed on 17 Fridays during the past school year to save money, giving students the shortest academic year in the nation.
    -lets close them permanent

Clayton County, Ga., a suburb of Atlanta, decided to cut all the way, and shut down its entire public bus system. Its last buses ran on March 31, stranding 8,400 daily riders.
    -Finally, let the private sector innovation bloom. They are going to have to get to where they are going somehow. No more subsidies for big business!

the city switched off a third of its 24,512 streetlights to save money on electricity, while trimming its police force and auctioning off its police helicopters.
    -allright!

which describes how "paved roads, historical emblems of American achievement, are being torn up across rural America and replaced with gravel or other rough surfaces as counties struggle with tight budgets and dwindling state and federal revenue."
    - Good bye pork

"Camden [New Jersey] is preparing to permanently shut its library system by the end of the year, potentially leaving residents of the impoverished city among the few in the United States unable to borrow a library book free."
    - More pork, wheres the BBQ!

Great article, never seen so much anti-libertarianism in a single space before.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Public schools across the state closed on 17 Fridays during the past school year to save money, giving students the shortest academic year in the nation.
    -lets close them permanent

Clayton County, Ga., a suburb of Atlanta, decided to cut all the way, and shut down its entire public bus system. Its last buses ran on March 31, stranding 8,400 daily riders.
    -Finally, let the private sector innovation bloom. They are going to have to get to where they are going somehow. No more subsidies for big business!

the city switched off a third of its 24,512 streetlights to save money on electricity, while trimming its police force and auctioning off its police helicopters.
    -allright!

which describes how "paved roads, historical emblems of American achievement, are being torn up across rural America and replaced with gravel or other rough surfaces as counties struggle with tight budgets and dwindling state and federal revenue."
    - Good bye pork

"Camden [New Jersey] is preparing to permanently shut its library system by the end of the year, potentially leaving residents of the impoverished city among the few in the United States unable to borrow a library book free."
    - More pork, wheres the BBQ!

Great article, never seen so much anti-libertarianism in a single space before.
    I agree, I wasn't going to shed many tears over those "cutbacks", especially the cops and cop helicopter.

I think this was Greenwald's point though, and it's valid, since the collapsing state will drive off any private enterprises willing to do the work listed:

Does anyone doubt that once a society ceases to be able to afford schools, public transit, paved roads, libraries and street lights -- or once it chooses not to be able to afford those things in pursuit of imperial priorities and the maintenance of a vast Surveillance and National Security State -- that a very serious problem has arisen, that things have gone seriously awry, that imperial collapse, by definition, is an imminent inevitability?
    We can have a modicum of "services" from the public sector, roads, cops, libraries and so on, or we can have empire (maybe), a multi trillion dollar war machine and a high tech, police state, surveillance grid.

Cannnot, however, have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I agree, I wasn't going to shed many tears over those "cutbacks", especially the cops and cop helicopter.

I think this was Greenwald's point though, and it's valid, since the collapsing state will drive off any private enterprises willing to do the work listed:

We can have a modicum of "services" from the public sector, roads, cops, libraries and so on, or we can have empire (maybe), a multi trillion dollar war machine and a high tech, police state, surveillance grid.

Cannnot, however, have both.
    This.

That is the take home on this thing. Once the .gov has been so completely perverted away from its original mission, the simple basic services that are necessary for the maintenance of order, trade, etc., become ignored because these are services that the ultra wealthy can buy cheaply for themselves in comparison to what it costs to provide them at large as social safety nets.

All you have to do is take a look at Mexico or Argentina to get a glimpse of our future.

some think the next financial crisis is within the muni bonds.
    http://www.city-journal.org/2010/20_...pal-bonds.html
    Where is John Galt?

Does anyone doubt that once a society ceases to be able to afford schools, public transit, paved roads, libraries and street lights -- or once it chooses not to be able to afford those things in pursuit of imperial priorities and the maintenance of a vast Surveillance and National Security State -- that a very serious problem has arisen, that things have gone seriously awry, that imperial collapse, by definition, is an imminent inevitability?

Yep.

Ultimate endgame: An incredibly uneducated mass of humanity becoming totally dependent upon, and constantly monitored by, an empire of absolute tyranny.

Sound familiar? Read Orwell's 1984.

Since you all know its all going to collapse, why do you fight it? At this point "bad news" is actually "good news", since it means we are that much closer to the end, so we can start over. Only after everything has failed and completely collapses can we began to put into practice all those wonderful things that Rothbard and von Mises wrote about. How can we practice a true Free Market with a $14 trillion debt to pay back?
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

50 years from now, if any of us are even still around, do you think that kids that will grow up in the future without schools and probably any form of education will turn to us for guidance?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    50 years from now, if any of us are even still around, do you think that kids that will grow up in the future without schools and probably any form of education will turn to us for guidance?
    OH schools will be around for sure, the question is will it be private or goverment funded

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine302 View Post

Nothing that a true, Free Market can't fix.
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

Wolverine, I can't see which pile of trash the thugs with baseball bats and lead pipes are hiding behind.

YouTube - ‪A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto: Part 2 (Dec. 2006)‬‎

Still makes my jaw drop to look at this video.

You can also go cruising Google Maps in street mode and confirm Detroit really looks like this.
    Last edited by MozoVote; 08-08-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    In the philippines they used what they called Jeepneys, which were generally jeeps or other SUV's with the back end modified to put bench seats along each wall and leaving the middle open, and opening up the back end with hand rails. I think the back ends were also extended so they could seat more people.

It is incredibly cheap to ride these, and they are all privately owned. The rates vary, but its anywhere from 8 to 15 pesos to ride. The exchange rate is about 45 to 1 philippine pesos to US so you can get an idea of how cheap it is.

The owner of the jeepney may drive it himself or he may pay someone to drive it if he owns multiple vehicles. They are registered with the local government but that only costs the equivelant of about $10 per year.

The owner/drive gets to choose the route he takes and I never figured out how people know the jeepney's route, but they just drive in circles around their chosen route like any normal bus, and there are so many of them its never a problem to find one when you need a ride.
    You can call me a conspiracy theorist as long as I can call you a coincidence theorist.

www.appleseedinfo.org

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Yep.

Ultimate endgame: An incredibly uneducated mass of humanity becoming totally dependent upon, and constantly monitored by, an empire of absolute tyranny.

Sound familiar? Read Orwell's 1984.
    That also sounds like Zamyatin's We, FWIW. Beware the tyranny of the One State!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenEyedJeff View Post
    Wolverine, I can't see which pile of trash the thugs with baseball bats and lead pipes are hiding behind.
    theres two guys in that photo, look and see. and i think i recognize that water tower, i believe it can be found on Fort St in Detroit by the Ambassador bridge

he has it exactly right. didn't expect to see that on Salon.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito