View Poll Results: Are Jobless Benefits to Blame for High Unemployment?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 54.10%
  • No

28 45.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Jobless Benefits to Blame for High Unemployment?

Are Jobless Benefits to Blame for High Unemployment?

I stole this poll from cnbc.com but I thought it'd be interesting to discuss on here.
    Last edited by Fr3shjive; 08-06-2010 at 04:06 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Personally, for me, I've known several people who were/are unemployed who didnt work because they either werent offered enough at the jobs they applied for or they didnt have many expences so they just stayed out of work.

I was actually laid off in '08 and didnt work for 1 1/2 years while I attended school. If I didnt have those jobless benefits for such a long time I certainly would've been back to work much much sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3shjive View Post
    Personally, for me, I've known several people who were/are unemployed who didnt work because they either werent offered enough at the jobs they applied for or they didnt have many expences so they just stayed out of work.

I was actually laid off in '08 and didnt work for 1 1/2 years while I attended school. If I didnt have those jobless benefits for such a long time I certainly would've been back to work much much sooner.
    On the other hand I know the economy is garbage but I do think that unemployment benefits are keeping many people who would normally be working out of the job market.

Should have been a third option.

O Partially

They are only partly to blame. The biggest reason why it's high is because of the Federal Reserve's mortgage bubble and our government's spend-to-GDP ratio. But there is more than just those two as well, there is plenty of blame to go around.
    Brian Defferding
    Freelance Illustrator
    My Portfolio | www.deftoons.com | Follow Me On Twitter

i personally know a couple dudes that are in no hurry to go back to work after being laid off, the unemployment benefits+ under the table cash are just too good to give up. government paycheck and no taxes ftw!

yup

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Defferding View Post
    They are only partly to blame. The biggest reason why it's high is because of the Federal Reserve's mortgage bubble and our government's spend-to-GDP ratio.
    ^this

It's a depression. Collapse of the credit money supply. The market is shedding malinvestments.

I would say that minium wage laws that prevent wages from adjusting downward has more to do with unemployment than jobless benefits.

If government would get out of the way so assets could devalue and wages and prices could adjust, this thing would be over - except for the problem of debt, which will prove fatal no matter what.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes and NO.

The main culprit for the unemployment is the fact that the government is growing faster and bigger than the private sector, while depending on the private sector for money. All the fact that our economy is not fundamentally sound and needs a totally restructuring from the bottom up. I honestly don't see how unemployment can go down. In order for that to happen businesses have to be created and expanded, for that to happen capital is needed, for that to happen savings is needed, and the government is taking all the savings and all the money. Not to mention the government has created an environment where business are afraid to go in to risk by expanding and then going bankrupt.

But, at the same time jobs ARE available. I just read a report about some companies just cant find qualified individuals to hire. People need to realize that some of the sectors are gone and will never come back, so labor has to be re-allocated. The government is getting in the way of that by paying people not to work. Also, sometimes you have take a job that you don't want. For example, my girlfriend has been on unemployment for a year already, she has been one countless interviews with no luck. But she is trying to move laterally when she might just have to move down. For example, she actually got hired at a Dry Cleaners, she went for the first day, found out how much she was making, and quit. She figured, $#@!...this is less than what I'm making from my unemployment so I may as well keep looking for something better. She hasn't had a job offer since. So now, not only do some businesses have to complete with other businesses, but they have to compete with the government.

Unemployment benefits need to stop, but at the same time the government has to take the proper steps to reinvigorate our private sector.

TBPS

Partly. Unemployement benefits will have people passing jobs for less than they want to make for longer, because they can do that. If they didn't get the gubmint money, they would have to accept a job a lot sooner than they would with it.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard

Terrible poll. I won't vote because it's not a simple yes or no question.

Yes, unemployment is higher when jobless benefits are extended, but there are multiple reasons for high unemployment right now.

I've seen plenty of people around me complain about not being able to find a job while they are on unemployment, and then BOOM! Unemployment runs out, they have a job. Must be some wierd coincidence.

Everyone is correct......it's stupid to have a yes or no poll on this.

Unemployment benefits did not create the recession, and right now so many people and trying for so few jobs it isn't having a big affect, but yes, it destroys some incentive for people to go back to work.

And whoever said the minimum wage laws have more to do with unemployment, yes....if we got rid of minimum wage laws we'd probably have atleast another million jobs. It would certainly help at a time like this.

I'm against unemployment benefits entirely as it's not the government's role and thus is stealing from citizens.
    The Heart of Conservatism is Libertarianism - Ronald Reagan

Current Pelosi Agenda

I think everything that has ran through congress recently is enough to prevent business from hiring even if they need to.There will be no changes in unemployment.

Is selling your stuff on the internet considered employment? I've been getting by, by selling some of my stuff on Craigslist.
    http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/fuo/1879772381.html

Abolish the Privately Owned Federal Reserve Bank Corporation!
    How many more times are we going to let them screw up our economy?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwise View Post
    Is selling your stuff on the internet considered employment? I've been getting by, by selling some of my stuff on Craigslist.
    http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/fuo/1879772381.html

The coolest coffee table in America, No?

Partially. There are a lot of factors, the biggest being minimum wage laws.

There is often the more simple fact that you get more being unemployed than you do at many low income jobs.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

not entirely, but partially.

high wages are also to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwise View Post
    The coolest coffee table in America, No?
    coolest I've seen in a long time

good question, what counts as "employed"?

If you are a self sufficient farmer never paid in cash, is that employed?

Are retired people who live on their pensions unemployed?

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    Terrible poll. I won't vote because it's not a simple yes or no question.

Yes, unemployment is higher when jobless benefits are extended, but there are multiple reasons for high unemployment right now.
    keeping in mind, not all unemployment is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltM View Post
    coolest I've seen in a long time
    I once thought it was the cross section of the tree of liberty. See the blood in it?

Not to blame, but it doesn't help the problem. We forget so easily that real unemployment isn't a mere 9.5%. There's at least 5% more not counted and not getting the benefits who are out of work because the work isn't htere.

taxation + regulation = increased costs = harder to compete for capital = less jobs
    Last edited by Live_Free_Or_Die; 08-06-2010 at 08:03 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    unemployment benefits hasn't changed in the pat few years, but unemployment has .
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

I call it "Legislative Saturation", Sort of like Debt Saturation. The system just can't handle any more rules and regulations, fines, fees, taxes, penalties, etc, etc, etc.
    Last edited by michaelwise; 08-06-2010 at 11:15 PM.

no. When you start seeing hiring in the 700,000 - 800,000 a month range, then it will be time to blame something else besides the job market on an individual being unemployed. Until then, the job market it fooked because credit reached a ceiling. There is only so much credit to be taken out of the system to pay employees with..

That is what people don't seem to get about this little problem we have been in for the last 5 years now. When the unemployment rate was at 3%, how do you think companies were paying for that payroll? If you said borrowed money, you are absolutely correct. But wait, where did that borrowed money come from? If you said selling government bonds to China, again you are absolutely correct.

So whether you were collecting unemployment for the last 5 years, or working a real honest to goodness job, chances are you are getting your fiat from a loan that will be added to the national deficit and have to be repaid or inflated away. Have fun bitching at unemployed people collecting their fake money credit. I say, these are the ones smart enough to know that working for nothing is exactly the same as not working for nothing. So what are you people working for? Heh.. too bad...
    Last edited by newbitech; 08-06-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Golding

Partly, yes. I'm related (sadly) to someone who has been unemployed and collecting benefits for well over a year now. Not for lack of jobs, but for lack of will to work. Though he declares that he is seeking employment, he really isn't. We're talking a lazy middle-classer who collects checks from the state on so many bogus arguments...

"I paid into the program, so I should be able to get money from it."
    "I could get a job that pays ____, or take care of the kids and be paid a comparable amount" (though not really all that comparable)

It's going to be a little bit of a wake-up call when he eventually does look for a job (when the checks run out), and people inquire about the glaring hole in his work experience.

Saddest part is that the wife is stuck. She actually works, and a divorce would result in him getting free checks from her. I'm not saying that everyone taking unemployment has that motivation, but anyone who thinks that the lazy aren't protected by the state is naive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast