Thread: Choosing a career in nutrition

Choosing a career in nutrition

A very good friend of mine wants to change his major. This guy was majoring in finance, and yet he eats, sleeps and talks 24/7 about nutrition. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what he should major in besides a degree in health science?

He is sharp, and I was telling him that maybe he should get his degree in biology, because he has a scientific mind. Whatever he does, he will get his PhD and he wants his approach to healthful eating to be accepted by the scientific community. He does not want to be viewed as a "Quack" and he does not want to make a career selling products on infomercials. Any ideas?
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Holistic Sciences
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Exercise science is a very good Bachelors Degree. You can get a PHD in Nutrition after that. Very lucrative work.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpwns View Post
    Exercise science is a very good Bachelors Degree. You can get a PHD in Nutrition after that. Very lucrative work.
    Droz: What's your major?
    Sanskrit Major: Sanskrit.
    Droz: Sanskrit. You're majoring in a 5000 year-old dead language?
    Sanskrit Major: Yeah.

Droz: All right, what's your major?
    Phys. Ed. Major: Phys. Ed.
    Droz: Phys. Ed? All right, stud, you're out of my room. Seriously, get out.

President Garcia-Thompson: Well I think Bisexual Asian Studies should have its own building. The question is: who goes? The math department or the hockey team? I think the hockey team. Think about it.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by YumYum View Post
    he will get his PhD and he wants his approach to healthful eating to be accepted by the scientific community.
    Why bother getting the PhD if he already has developed his own unique approach to healthful eating that he is sure is right?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Why bother getting the PhD if he already has developed his own unique approach to healthful eating that he is sure is right?
    yeah. when you can make it on your own without a PhD you should use that opportunity to show that PhD's are not as valuable as they are reputed to be. (e.g. Bernanke has a PhD. Schiff doesn't. Bernanke said there was no housing bubble. Krugman has a PhD. war is good for economy)
    Last edited by low preference guy; 08-05-2010 at 05:24 PM.

PhD not valuable? Nonsense.

My brother got his PhD and immediately had 5 job offers. Four of them were in the private sector. That isn't happening for a lot of people these days. I know many on this board are unemployed or underemployed. Highly specialized skill sets will always be in demand. The degree has tons of value, and if you get a free ride on it even better.

" Persons with doctoral degrees earn an average of $3.4 million during their working life:"

- High school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million in lifetime income.

Can you get a good paying job without a degree? Sure you can, but that doesn't mean that the degree is worthless and should constantly be criticized on RPF.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    Certified Clinical Nutrionist

http://www.cncb.org/
    Kool web page. Thanks!
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

Quote Originally Posted by paulpwns View Post
    This is helpful. He can get a degree in exercise science at the University where he currently attends.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    He wants a PhD because he is putting together a diet for people with autism, and he wants to take on the medical community and the government. He has had incredible results.

Quote Originally Posted by YumYum View Post
    He wants a PhD because he is putting together a diet for people with autism, and he wants to take on the medical community and the government. He has had incredible results.
    Good for him. That is awesome. People need to start shattering the proliferated non-sense about- well everything, high on the list is the things we put in our bodies. My mom is a nutrionist. My health and what I eat is night and day compared to most. Nutrition is of the utmost importance. AS long as you have State run health care though, who cares?
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park