Thread: Obama's August Surprise to Help Dems in November

Exclamation Obama's August Surprise to Help Dems in November

Main Street may be about to get its own gigantic bailout. Rumors are running wild from Washington to Wall Street that the Obama administration is about to order government-controlled lenders Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to forgive a portion of the mortgage debt of millions of Americans who owe more than what their homes are worth. An estimated 15 million U.S. mortgages – one in five – are underwater with negative equity of some $800 billion. Recall that on Christmas Eve 2009, the Treasury Department waived a $400 billion limit on financial assistance to Fannie and Freddie, pledging unlimited help. The actual vehicle for the bailout could be the Bush-era Home Affordable Refinance Program, or HARP, a sister program to Obama’s loan modification effort. HARP was just extended through June 30, 2011.

The move, if it happens, would be a stunning political and economic bombshell less than 100 days before a midterm election in which Democrats are currently expected to suffer massive, if not historic losses. The key date to watch is August 17 when the Treasury Department holds a much-hyped meeting on the future of Fannie and Freddie. A few key points:

1) Republican leaders believe this is going to happen since GOPers and Democratic moderates in the Senate are unwilling to spend more taxpayer money on more stimulus. But such a housing plan would allow the White House to sidestep congressional objections and show voters it is doing something tangible about an economy that seems to be weakening.

2) Wall Street banks are alerting their clients privately to this possibility. Here is what some are cautiously saying publicly. This from Goldman Sachs:

GSE policies are one of a dwindling number of policy levers the administration has left to pull, so it is conceivable that changes could be made, though there is no sign that a policy change is imminent. The Treasury’s essentially unlimited ability to provide financial support to the GSEs creates an interesting situation over the next twelve months: the GSEs could potentially be used to provide additional support for the housing market and, to a lesser extent, the broader economy in 2H 2001.

And this from Mizuho Securities:

http://blogs.reuters.com/james-petho...se-from-obama/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Why don't we just declare a Jubilee Year and cancel everyone's debts everywhere?

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I hate the political class with even more of a passion if this is true. Bribing deadbeats with the federal treasury so they're not removed from power?

I'm speechless. Busted our ass to pay off our mortage in 15 years. Gave up alot of things over those 15 years to make it happen. And for what? So, I can now pay off other people's mortgages? This $#@! is surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahkato View Post
    Why don't we just declare a Jubilee Year and cancel everyone's debts everywhere?
    It's a year long party!!! Woo Hoo!!!
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

My fuse is getting shorter... much shorter.

I've been sitting here on the sidelines, trying to save money and be responsible and do it "the right way" and I'm finding out I've been nothing but a big sucker, and a source-of-funding for this kind of BS!?

This is unconscienable... I'm practically speechless with anger...

I was reading this thinking it must be from some right-leaning blog run by some bearded guy with 50 guns, a Gadsden flag, and a long, thick beard.

Then I realized it was on Reuters. $#@!.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know, they might actually recover more of the loaned funds if this is allowed to happen. So many people are just skipping their payments and waiting to be foreclosed upon knowing the other option is to pay $400k in mortgage payments for a $100k home.

Not that I agree with it or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by liberalnurse View Post
    I'm speechless. Busted our ass to pay off our mortage in 15 years. Gave up alot of things over those 15 years to make it happen. And for what? So, I can now pay off other people's mortgages? This $#@! is surreal.
    That's why if they do this it will backfire. Yes, you will have bought off the votes of people that receive "debt forgiveness" but you are going to piss people off no end who either have worked hard to pay off or who are not under water and therefore get nothing. I see huge unintended consequences if this happens, and I think it will burn the Dems if they do it. Major blowback.

Not that I think they should do it, but they would get a lot better bang for the buck with a $1,000 to $2,000 per household stimulus check. It would be terrible for the country long term, but I have no doubt it would save some jobs.
    Last edited by Original_Intent; 08-05-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    Not that I think they should do it, but they would get a lot better bang for the buck with a $1,000 to $2,000 per household stimulus check. It would be terrible for the country long term, but I have no doubt it would save some jobs.
    Could've been $2,600 if TARP never happened.

I should have also clarified, I did not mean regular peoples' jobs would be saved, I am talking about politicians.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I should have also clarified, I did not mean regular peoples' jobs would be saved, I am talking about politicians.
    Glad you clarified, cuz I was wonderin'...
    There is only one success -- to be able to spend your life in your own way.
    -- Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

Does anyone else see a tiny bit of hope when this stuff happens that there are in fact two parties at war with each other as opposed to one party with two halves?

what does this do to housing prices......seems like it would crush them
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Sent to Drudge. Now on the front page of Drudge. Props? :P

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What an awful precedent to set. I doubt it will take place...This would revalue the housing market overnight; affecting the assets the FED holds as collateral reserves. The Fed assets (over valued bad mortgages)would tank in market price and leave gross amounts of unrecoverable inflationary money in the banking system to cause havoc.

It might win an election, but it will tip over the economy.

If it is a bailout for home owners not paying their mortgage it will create a large incentive to not pay your mortgage and borrow 3 houses next time instead of 2..

Not going to happen. I believe it's just a rumor.
    Abolish the Privately Owned Federal Reserve Bank Corporation!
    How many more times are we going to let them screw up our economy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahkato View Post
    The complete and total economic collapse wipes out all debts.
    Abolish the Privately Owned Federal Reserve Bank Corporation!
    How many more times are we going to let them screw up our economy?

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Does anyone else see a tiny bit of hope when this stuff happens that there are in fact two parties at war with each other as opposed to one party with two halves?
    Interesting thought. The rise of Tea Party types (Rand, Angle, Amash, etc) certainly must have a lot of the current power structure worried. It's much easier to follow a communist transformation agenda with Democrats leading the way than getting Republicans (conservatives) to do it. Maybe there is some hope and change afoot
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I'd be in favor on canceling everyone's mortgages and turning the property over to the mortgage holders.

I never really honestly believed there was a conspiracy to ruin the American economy until now.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I used to find this video funny; now the joke is on me though, it seems like she understood politics better than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by liberalnurse View Post
    Go and scold all the folks you know who voted for Obama. Stop giving money to anyone who voted for Obama, especially Hollywood.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow, if this passes the blowback will immense. If this happens and the GOP can't run with this they truly are incompetent; this would be the easiest way for the dems to go from losing 30-40 seats to 100+ seats.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

This sounds like a trial balloon as are all Obama Administration policy "leaks." They want to gauge public sentiment before they attempt something of this stature.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I never really honestly believed there was a conspiracy to ruin the American economy until now.
    With each passing day, my conviction in the belief that the intentional economic ruin of America is intentional, becomes ever stronger. While we may not have the most brilliant representatives, most of them should be educated enough to realize how destructive their policies are. At this point, I can't lay the blame on simple ignorance.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    With each passing day, my conviction in the belief that the intentional economic ruin of America is intentional, becomes ever stronger. While we may not have the most brilliant representatives, most of them should be educated enough to realize how destructive their policies are. At this point, I can't lay the blame on simple ignorance.
    Einstein once said that "only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity...and I'm not sure about the former".

Yeah I've arrived at the same conclusion as you but I just have a hard time believing it is stupidity any longer
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst