Thread: "Rand Paul has no bachelor's Degree", is this a smear piece or a compliment?

"Rand Paul has no bachelor's Degree", is this a smear piece or a compliment?

http://bluegrasspolitics.bloginky.co...80%99s-degree/

On the one hand the article harps on Rand's not having a degree from Baylor, where he attended at least into his fourth year before being accepted to Duke Medical school without a degree, but on the other hand it has quotes like this:

" Michael J. Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs for Duke University in Durham, N.C., said his school’s records show that Paul received his medical degree from Duke in 1988 and completed his residency there in 1993.

“At the time he was admitted to our medical school, Duke sometimes did admit students of exceptional abilities. Other professional schools have done that,” said Schoenfeld,..."

and

"Paul was in the honors program at Baylor and scored about the 90th percentile in the national Medical College Admission Test, Stafford said."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    it's neither a smear nor a compliment. it's a factual piece for a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    it's neither a smear nor a compliment. it's a factual piece for a chance.
    Possibly that is why I was confused. We don't see many of those....

I suppose I am biased, but I'm impressed. I have never heard of anybody getting into medical school before they graduated from college.

Yeah, this story is fair. It clearly stated neither Paul nor RandPaul2010.com made such a claim. The media was the incorrect one; which I guess is what they get for trusting the usually unreliable source that is Wikipedia.

Other media organizations that have reported Paul graduated from Baylor include The Associated Press, The Courier-Journal of Louisville, TIME and U.S. News & World Report.
    These outlets didn't check their facts. Shocking! Especially for the Courier which just last weekend contrasted blogs with traditional media, saying that traditional media is impartial and does fact-checking. LOL.

how does one go about getting into med school without a degree? didn't think it was possible.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by libertybrewcity View Post
    how does one go about getting into med school without a degree? didn't think it was possible.
    I don't know about in the US, but some med schools outside the US allow it, some even allow direct advanced entry direct from high school. Personally I like it, treat it like a trade-industry. Screw the bachelors.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I don't know about in the US, but some med schools outside the US allow it, some even allow direct advanced entry direct from high school. Personally I like it, treat it like a trade-industry. Screw the bachelors.
    Yea, I believe some schools in the Bahamas do this, but didn't think Duke did.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

This is a non-story, other than the fact that Rand was so good that he got accepted to Duke Medicine without a prior degree.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

This is a fairly common thing for doctor's in Rand's generation. You would be surprised at the number of docs who don't have bachelors degrees. Most medical schools still don't have "solid" requirements of having a bachelors degree for admission. They do require certain classes to be taken at the college level. I had all of my pre-reqs for med school completed before my final year of college, but these days most med schools "prefer" you to have a degree.

There is one story. A simple correction to someone local would of been good. Someone very intelligent told me to day, "SILENCE is CONSENT."

It was dumb to not correct a story that would of painted you in a better light.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    There is one story. A simple correction to someone local would of been good. Someone very intelligent told me to day, "SILENCE is CONSENT."

It was dumb to not correct a story that would of painted you in a better light.
    Silence is not consent. Come on, you do google searches, they are lying about him all over. And he's supposed to worry about THIS point? It would take more hours than there are in a day to correct all the incorrect things being said about him.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Silence is not consent. Come on, you do google searches, they are lying about him all over. And he's supposed to worry about THIS point? It would take more hours than there are in a day to correct all the incorrect things being said about him.
    I doubt Rand Paul has enough employees to notify all reporters that published a false transcript of his interview about the CRA. and that's just one error.

the latest craze is to blame Rand Paul for the media's incompetence to fact check.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Say what you want. I'm not frothing over this or anything about this.

I think past issues would say Silence is consent. It's not a voting issue but, it does make him look like he was hiding something.

Perception becomes reality and perception is externally driven hallucination and that fact alone makes you have to stay on guard and make sure you correct any mistakes, even if they seem trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    Someone very intelligent told me to day, "SILENCE is CONSENT."
    Bull. The media is the only one responsible for what they themselves write.

You can't write garbage and expect others to correct it. It's their frickin' job to check these facts.

I doubt Rand Paul has enough employees to notify all reporters that published a false transcript of his interview about the CRA. and that's just one error.

the latest craze is to blame Rand Paul for the media's incompetence to fact check.
    Guys, I think I've proven myself someone who will defend Rand. This was pretty dumb move not to correct. It was a chance to highlight how smart he actually happens to be. Opportunity was not taken advantage of. Both the media and the campaign could of done better on this one. No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    Bull. The media is the only one responsible for what they themselves write.

You can't write garbage and expect others to correct it. It's their frickin' job to check these facts.
    I'm not saying this is Blumenthal or anything.

Alright, you guys win. Candidates have no place in correcting journalists when they mess up your bio if it is perceived to benefit you.

Bingo. They get it wrong or outright lie, his real position comes out, and they say he flipped. It's nonsense.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I should thank the bot for bumping this. Remember the good old days when the media posted a misleading headline and a smear paragraph or two, followed by the facts buried down far enough that most people's attention spans had expired? Now they just lie their asses off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.