Thread: [VIDEO] ~ Darwin's Stance on Christianity?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

well, I recall when I was very young and forced to attend church that one of the main logic barriers I ran into was that I found it hard to believe that a "god" existed such as the "god" spoken about at my church because I could never reconcile how such a "god" could allow/cause things like world wars to occur, rape, murder, genocide, etc etc

If there is a god and that god is able to prevent things like that from occurring and chooses to do nothing, then that is no god I want to idolize...

Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    well, I recall when I was very young and forced to attend church that one of the main logic barriers I ran into was that I found it hard to believe that a "god" existed such as the "god" spoken about at my church because I could never reconcile how such a "god" could allow/cause things like world wars to occur, rape, murder, genocide, etc etc

If there is a god and that god is able to prevent things like that from occurring and chooses to do nothing, then that is no god I want to idolize...
    We know that man exists, or at least there is some good evidence.

What do you believe man is?

Is man able to prevent terrible things? If so, why would he want to?

Along the same lines as you mentioned, why does man willfully cause suffering?

Bunkloco

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    We know that man exists, or at least there is some good evidence.

What do you believe man is?

Is man able to prevent terrible things? If so, why would he want to?

Along the same lines as you mentioned, why does man willfully cause suffering?

Bunkloco
    Man does not claim to be all powerful and all knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by reillym View Post
    Man does not claim to be all powerful and all knowing.
    G-d cannot be all powerful and all knowing. He is either just and limited in His power, or He is all powerful and unjust.
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

Am I unloving or unjust if I don't protect my children from all manner of pain because I believe that by enduring some pain one learns how to embrace life? Does a parent who insulates their child completely and indefinitely create a well balanced individual?

Maybe our physical existence is not the end of what we are as entity. Therefore, one would look differently at what we stand to learn or gain through what is not the finality of our existence but merely just a phase...(Translation:if we are spirit as our existence then the earthly body with all its pain and privileges could merely be the caterpillar phase of a butterfly by comparison)
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    Am I unloving or unjust if I don't protect my children from all manner of pain because I believe that by enduring some pain one learns how to embrace life? Does a parent who insulates their child completely and indefinitely create a well balanced individual?

Maybe our physical existence is not the end of what we are as entity. Therefore, one would look differently at what we stand to learn or gain through what is not the finality of our existence but merely just a phase...(Translation:if we are spirit as our existence then the earthly body with all its pain and privileges could merely be the caterpillar phase of a butterfly by comparison)
    Excellent point.

There are those who will only choose to enter a relationship because they finally realize someone is seeking a loving relationship with themself.

My folks let me learn some hard lessons, and once I realized they did it out of love, I sought to strengthen our relationship.

I never would have done it if I wasn't allowed to be humbled.

Bunkloco

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.